THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Diapers, pee pants, float planes and bull moose

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diapers, pee pants, float planes and bull moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
http://imgur.com/gallery/vfTknjr

Got a family moose hunt done, I'll try to post some pictures and a report.

http://imgur.com/gallery/srOfYBA

http://imgur.com/gallery/XBKBQyh

http://imgur.com/gallery/PiKK0QA

http://imgur.com/gallery/5GNBPwH

http://imgur.com/gallery/cWFZhRV
https://postimg.cc/gallery/SQkR0d4

http://imgur.com/gallery/DojzpTU

So we finally did it. After a three year hiatus from moose meat I was able to rally myself and others to get back in action.

Truthfully it was just my problem. I don't like being away from Violet, ( the three year old,) and she wasn't able to go hunting, so my last few years efforts have been less than half hearted.

When Mark Young lived here he found a close by spot to fly into that yielded good results. He's mentioned it to me several times over the years and suggested I try it. As I have in the past I asked tom Schlagel/ Bay Air to transport us in his Beaver on floats and he provided us with a raft to row around the lake .

It took us two trips in the plane to get there! That's heavy. True, there were the five of us, two tents, camping gear and a raft, but that's not very " Air Mobile" as Robert Duval said.

Previous to this at my insistence my missus and our thirteen year old girl completed their hunter safety courses. Not mandatory in alaska to have in order to obtain a hunting license, but they're both scatter brained enough to more than warrant some coursework in safety.

Violet was very excited about it all. Although she understood moose, guns and camping she'd not been hunting before and had no concept of death, meat and where meat comes from. Fish certainly help a little I suppose but it ain't the same. Violet will be four in November and still sleeps in diapers at night. She's been potty trained for a while but still occasionally gets pee pants. Well this trip was just to much for her! The excitement and adventure pushed her to far and I think one day we had three pee pants! faint Ah well, a learning experience.

Well the five of us rowed around the lake some and found some likely coves on the lake to call from. After I guess about three different calling sessions, the bull above answers and came to us. The 9 year old and the thirteen year old had good seats on the edge of the meadow, the thirteen year old had my -06 propped up elbows on knees. The bull stopped about 75 yards out and just stood there head on waiting to be shot. Careful aim was taken and a shot fired. The 180 g TSX did its job and the bull was reduced to possession.

For the big kids and I it was all perfect. The lighting and scenery was just right, the bull performed as best as you could ask for grunting and brush thrashing and the shot was easy and steady. Violet and mom were no more than 20 yards away and although out of view with Violet napping in mom's lap in the boat, but mom could hear it all. Violet slept thru the shooting and had to be woken up to come field dress.

We quickly gutted the bull and left him in the field overnight as the light was fading. As Mark had mentioned to me that bears were in the area I was concerned but had little choice. The next morning we were up and off early and as I rowed the raft back to the kill I had a long lecture with everyone about the different scenarios we might encounter with a bear. I encouraged them to not shoot me while trying to kill the bear trying to kill me.

There were no bears, the moose was just as we left it and we got it all back to camp in the early afternoon. The following day tom returned to make the two trips with us home and just last night we processed the last leg.

FWIW the bull was 53" we think there was a second bull in the area and I had along my 9.3x62 loaded with 286g Partitions.

Posts: 9076 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
http://imgur.com/gallery/vfTknjr

Got a family moose hunt done, I'll try to post some pictures and a report.

Nice job Dad!! tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done Scott. That no name lake made some great memories for Sadie and I.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Scott. Making memories for a lifetime. Those kids will remember that trip forever, especially your oldest who shot the moose. 53" moose for her first one. Wow!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the new hunter. She sure is looking like her mom!

Beautiful family and great write up!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
And dang, it one thing to get a moose. It’s another thing to get a new hunter their first moose with the whole family in tow. Outstanding!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Well done Scott. Making memories for a lifetime. Those kids will remember that trip forever, especially your oldest who shot the moose. 53" moose for her first one. Wow!

That was certainly part of it.
An Immature spike would have been fine, but it wouldn't of responded to our calls with its own brush thrashing and grunting like this mature bull did. This bull put on a show. Waving antlers, grunting, the whole enchilada. All in broad daylight with no brush or woods for cover. The bull was shot in knee high to Violet grass. It was a show for all of us. The big kids will remember it for life, Violet will have something vague and we'll do something similar for her to imbed in concrete.

Posts: 9076 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
And dang, it one thing to get a moose. It’s another thing to get a new hunter their first moose with the whole family in tow. Outstanding!

Tom asked me, " How big of a circus is this going to be?"

I said, " Three Ring! With dancing bears, five clowns, a bearded lady and the daring young man on the flying trapeze!" ( Me).

It was insane. I said, " be quiet! Stop talking!" Every five minutes for five days straight. Nighttime hours included.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

You're a better man than I am. I had four adults on one moose hunt with only one being inexperienced. That was about all I could handle.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, pee pants? Sounds like your last elephant encounter :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mike, pee pants? Sounds like your last elephant encounter :-)

I hate elephants Big Grin Probably would hate bears in Alaska too.

Biebs - I am getting another k95.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Scott!!!!

Super Dad!

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Man Scott, Ive missed your DIY moose reports, you always seem to get on them. And the 13yr old with the show? I know grown men who havent been able to hold it together for that, Congrats to all involved!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your kids!

Sounds like you are a glutton for punishment... Wink

Hope you took a bunch of photos for the kids to remember this with!

My parents die the same thing with us with ducks, not nearly as much of an undertaking as wilderness Alaska!

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Man Scott, Ive missed your DIY moose reports, you always seem to get on them. And the 13yr old with the show? I know grown men who havent been able to hold it together for that, Congrats to all involved!

Thanks much!
We work on staying calm 12months of the year. I'm not much for screaming and yelling, nor am I big on the " high fives" and other touch down celebrations so although the kids might want to endlessly babble they know I insist on quiet and calm.
We practice shoot some, talk scenarios and use the computer to google moose photos to plan shot placement.
But like I said, he stopped in the middle of the meadow just looking at us and waited to be shot. It couldn't have been easier.
This was successful enough to make me think this is about how we'll continue it. Probably no more than one moose per year with informally rotating shooters. Maybe mom next year.
I'm always there to bat clean up ofcourse. Big Grin

Also, I asked the park ranger about the bears yesterday and she thought the numbers were down. More bears in Dillingham than out she said.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS SCOTT!

What a great story and family! You are blessed!

Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great adventure that everyone will remember forever. Huge congratulations to all of you and your daughter on her first moose.

I still cherish the memories of the few hunts I did with my dad.

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks much!
We work on staying calm 12months of the year. I'm not much for screaming and yelling, nor am I big on the " high fives" and other touch down celebrations so although the kids might want to endlessly babble they know I insist on quiet and calm.
We practice shoot some, talk scenarios and use the computer to google moose photos to plan shot placement.

Start them young, raise them right train them properly and they will grow up to be good up standing citizens and people.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, Scott!

Posts: 6091 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote