THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    All the excuses I do not carry a handgun
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All the excuses I do not carry a handgun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So please check the appropriate one.

If you tend to use more then one.

Please enter the rest in the comment section.

Question:
My favorite excuse.

Choices:
I don't own one.
I don't want to.
I don't find it necessary.
I am afraid what others would think
I can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside
I am to lazy to learn how to use one
I can't afford one
I am to cheap to buy a proper holster
I to cheap to buy ammo.

Question:
If you don't carry why do you find it necessary to tell others not to.

Choices:
If I don't then I might feel bad about not carrying myself
I might find out that I should but I really don't want to
It is far easier to tell others not to then do so myself
If I don't then I have to face the fact that I don't carry
If I don't then I have worry about others carrying

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good Lord man. Give it a rest!

coffee

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't !
It's always discrete And I don't make a big deal about it either way.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4192 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
p dog

I don't recall anyone of the posters telling folks not to carry but I do remember a consensus being that you don't need to carry when hunting with a rifle in bear country. And I think that the question was do I need to carry a handgun while in bear country if hunting with a rifle.

I'll give it to. You have kept this entertaining.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't carry because there are no dangerous animals on Long Island New York except some minorities, gang members and assorted criminals which our law makers are trying their best to let loose.

Hip

Posts: 1817 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the question.

I have moose/brown bear hunt coming in September. I feel like I need a sidearm. I'm looking at a revolver in 460 S&W. Is this practical or is 44 Mag a better idea?

Some of the posters tried to answer the question.

Others just decided to said you didn't need one.

IMHO that is the same as saying don't carry one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
I don't carry because there are no dangerous animals on Long Island New York except some minorities, gang members and assorted criminals which our law makers are trying their best to let loose.

Hip

Do have a government permission slip to carry in New York.

In places the two legged kind are far more dangerous and have a high population.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll give it to. You have kept this entertaining.

Some times things need to be lighten up.

Thus this thread.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those that advise tourists to visit Alaska in armed and here's why:

First and foremost vacations in AK are pretty safe and the need for a helmet/ fire extinguisher/ gps locator/ personal defense firearms are rare. Yes! lightning may strike, but odds are good it ain't you.

Second, bear or dangerous predator attacks in Alaska are generally easily avoidable. Don't walk a salmon stream at night. Don't smear yourself in peanut butter and lay down in the bushes. Don't kill a salmon or moose and then sit in the gut pile to see what's next.
Most visit Alaska in the summer when the daylight almost never goes away and so it's very easy to prowl around on vacation without surprising a marauding bear trying to take advantage of the actual two hours of honest darkness in an Alaskan evening.

Third but probably not last, no tourist is really prepared for the legal requirements of disassembling and disposing of a DLP bear.
If you claim you are, you obviously aren't and have not. 4 to 900 pounds of stinky hairless, greasy carcass. Knives, ( plural,) to disassemble said carcass and hatchet or saw to sever head from spinal cord.
You're wearing a heavy plastic apron right? Rubber boots? Sort of disposable apparel? Those neato sneakers you've been dancing around in,....you know they're going in the dumpster right?

Killing a bear in Alaska " in Defense of Life and Property" is an onerous burden and in most cases a huge mistake. Bears and other four legged dangerous encounters are easily avoidable for those touring Alaska.

Posts: 9074 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott or are you really saying if one of my clients shoots a bear in a DLP situation.

The job of taking care of it falls to you.

Along with all the other hassles it brings.

Or are you saying tough luck.

Have at it.

I am sure has a highly dedicated guide/outfitter with your clients best interests in mind.

You would not leave them high and dry.

Having known many guides the stories they tell about the inability of clients is amazing.

That would be a good book the stupid things I have seen my clients do.

The lack of ability of clients to do things themselves is amazing.

Other wise if they could do it by themselves they wouldn't be hiring a guide.

Guides normally do not get the highly competent as clients.

Again unless force by law.

Guides tend to be jaded on the ability of people top do things themselves.

But there are people who have spent a life time in the out doors.

Hunting, fishing, camping, back packing doing it all my them selves.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Scott or are you really saying if one of my clients shoots a bear in a DLP situation.

The job of taking care of it falls to you.

Scott said, "I'm one of those that advise tourists to visit Alaska in armed and here's why:"

I suspect he's talking tourists unguided.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7592 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:

Having known many guides the stories they tell about the inability of clients is amazing.

Guides normally do not get the highly competent as clients

Guides tend to be jaded on the ability of people top do things themselves.

I had no idea you were a guide !
Where are you license's and how long have you been one ?

And what is your recommendation for a hunter in Alaska to carry and why ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PDS:

Sure would be great of folks would

edit their postings for typo's.

AND: learn the difference between:\
then and than!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am always looking for volunteers to edit for me.

Would gladly send my comments to you so they would be perfect.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
P Dog, Glad you are on so you can answer my questions

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Prairie Dog Shootist can post some photos for us of his great hunting experiences.
The last photo I can remember that Prairie Dog Shootist posted was of a black bear cub one of his family members killed. It may have weighed all of 75 pounds wet, but his comments said 200lbs Roll Eyes
You could do a search to see the photo.

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you what I carried on my Alaska trips. A custom 03a3 in 06, A Ruger MkII in 338 mag a Ruger Redhawk in 44mag.

I would say they would work fine in Alaska or any place else.

If taking a trip to AK now depending on the game a Ruger MKII 338 or my Ruger MKI I416 Taylor both are stainless syt stock. For a pistol I most likely carry my TI41 mag.

Never had been paid to take people hunting So I never been a "paid" guide.

If I wanted to be a guide pay the state of Wis. a magical 200.00 dollars and presto I am Lic. guide

But I have taken and interduce dozens of people to hunting. I organized dozens of trips for family and friends. In more then one state and Canada.

I have up to 15 hunters in my deer camp. I have organized that for the past 40 years.

Sorry to tell the guides out there yes some of us can do it our selves.

I don't have the government mandating that people give me business.

IMHO once you start getting paid to do something it is a job. I prefer not to turn my recreations into a job.

I have no desire to tell an friend no.

We can't going hunting together because I a have paid client coming in.

I only get paid with smiles and thank you

I will put my firearms experience up against most. 6 decades of using firearms hunting and trapping 4 decades carrying them every day.
Competitive shooter. 100's of thousands of rounds fired in hunting, training and competition
4 decades of training people in the use of firearms. Ran my counties 4H youth shooting program for over a decade.

Firearm instructor certificates from 3 major certifying organizations. Rifle, pistol, shotgun. Patrol rifle, Police shotgun, police handgun.

Hundreds of hours of instructor training. Thousands of hours of instructing.

But your probably right I have no clue what I am talking about /s/.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
Maybe Prairie Dog Shootist can post some photos for us of his great hunting experiences.
The last photo I can remember that Prairie Dog Shootist posted was of a black bear cub one of his family members killed. It may have weighed all of 75 pounds wet, but his comments said 200lbs Roll Eyes

Well if all you have to contribute to the discussion is a personnel attack I will consider the source.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil why don't you tell us how many bear clients you have personally taken out in your career.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:

Well if all you have to contribute to the discussion is a personnel attack I will consider the source.

PDS
Prairie Dog Shooter:

I am not having a discussion with you. You are way beyond having any form of intelligent discussion. You are delusional .
Have you noticed how many people are participating on your poll dancing
Please show us more photos of your bear hunting experiences . Again the black bear cub you posted the photo of is 75lbs wet at best. Roll Eyes
Can you please tell us what Back-Up handgun you were carrying in case the 60lb BB cub attacked and you did not have your rifle? rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Phil why don't you tell us how many bear clients you have personally taken out in your career.[/You are truly a little a whacked out gargoyle transfixed in your little cubicle spewing!!!QUOTE]

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Jim, I think everyone sees dog P for what he really is.
He claims to be a guide but won't tell anyone about himself.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people do things for fun and personnel enjoyment others do the same for money.

I had great fun helping a young lady shoot her first deer last fall.

The smile and look on her face was priceless and more then enough payment for me.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:

Guides normally do not get the highly competent

Guides tend to be jaded on the ability of people top do things themselves

Wow, you learned all the above from helping one friend shoot one animal ?
But all of us guides understand the enjoyment and pride you get when helping someone successfully take an animal. Thanks.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Jim, I think everyone sees dog P for what he really is.
He claims to be a guide but won't tell anyone about himself.

I'm still waiting on the details of his four Alaska trips. Hunts? Where and for what? Guided or DIY? Successful? Number of times you've been charged by bear in alaska?

I went to a Greenbay Game at Lambeau once. Had some cheese curds. Anyone want my expert opinion?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7592 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...he has lots of clients, but is not a guide. He needs to keep clear of AK. If he had spent much time in the state we would all of been reading of his experiences in the news. Roll Eyes

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

Hip

Or, do you not carry due to the difficulty of getting a carry permit in Nassau or Suffolk Counties unless you happen to be a current of retired Judge, Ret. LEO or politically juiced in.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PDS,
Another BLUE State hypocrite.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
posted 21 June 2021 22:30 Hide Post
Cold Zero, as a whole most guides are unsophisticated about rifles and are just as likely as the average hunter to assume that because some animal runs away wounded that the client swears he hit correctly, then the caliber was insufficient.

There were a lot of guides throughout the 1960's and 70's who carried 300 Magnums that clients had bestowed on them.

There were also plenty of stories about how poor Weatherby rifles were, but the usual culprit was the operator, not the rifle and certainly not the cartridge.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
CFII

I am sure there lack knowledge in the area of rifles makes them experts in the use of handguns.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 21 June 2021 22:30 Hide Post
Cold Zero, as a whole most guides are unsophisticated about rifles and are just as likely as the average hunter to assume that because some animal runs away wounded that the client swears he hit correctly, then the caliber was insufficient.

There were a lot of guides throughout the 1960's and 70's who carried 300 Magnums that clients had bestowed on them.

There were also plenty of stories about how poor Weatherby rifles were, but the usual culprit was the operator, not the rifle and certainly not the cartridge.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
CFII

I am sure there lack knowledge in the area of rifles makes them experts in the use of handguns.

To be fair, they do have a lot more real life experiences with bears than out of state internet trolls with no experience to brag about !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Man ! You guys all must be experts on anything another poster has ever done or wanted to do! 2020

What is the problem with carrying a hand gun in Alaska? I have hunted Alaska on several occasions, and my rifle is a controlled round feed Mauser bolt rifle chambered for 375H&H rifle in a synthetic stock. I don't hunt Brown bear, but I do hunt moose, and caribou, and all my hunting in Alaska have been heavily populated with Brown bear as well. That being said, like many of the citizens of Alaska I do carry a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for 41 mag in a chest TANKER rig just tucked inside my rain gear where it is with me at all times. I see absolutely nothing wrong with having a firearm when doing work around camp where a rifle interferes with camp work. That hand gun is always with me when gutting a caribou, or moose shot in tight patches of alders, or cleaning and skinning a wolf or cleaning fish on a stream with tight bush along it's banks. Anyone who has been around the very large bears of Alaska can tell you if he catches the gut scent of a moose down wind he is going to come up wind to find you and your moose, and before you know it he will likely be on you before you can get a rifle into action, and have only time to let him claim the moose before you can get a rifle into action.
You guys can mock me all you want, but I would rather let the bear claim my moose, and rifle, and I'll come back later to get my rifle and what is left of my moose, unless I can get a good head shot on the bear from outside the dense alders where he is eating my moose.
I have seen almost all native Alaskans carrying handguns in villages out in the bush, so I guess they are stupid just like me to think a good heavy handgun is a little better that a pocket knife, or thier bare hands.
Certainly not pistol is going to be as effective as my rifle would, but it is certainly a better choice than fist fighting a brown bear.
............................Gentlemen, you may laugh all you want, but my Black Hawk .41 Mag is on me at all times in the out back of Alaska. Have all the fun you want, I'm a big boy(84 yrs old) I can take the ridicule with a smile, and hope my old black hawk will be around when you get into trouble! It's better that a prayer, or fists!
............................................... old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is always nice to know that when one doesn't have facts on their side.

Name calling works well

one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly a better choice than the Hogue stock ! Ray, I think you remember that was what my daughter attempted to use after a sow with two young attacked her client. After the sow died at the foot of the client she had to dispatch the Cubs, ran the magazine of her 375 Ruger dry so thought she would finish the little Cub with the butt of her rifle. I guess the rifle bounced off and the wounded little 120 pound Cub still had a lot of fight left in him ! Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship Phil Shoemaker Alaska Master guide CFII NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

I don't know Phil might just been easier to reload.

Or even just draw a handgun. That is what I have done to finish off wounded game

Instead of trying to beat the bear to death.

I just found it a lot faster and more humane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same reason I don’t wear a wrist watch. It is inconvenient.

most times have a few guns in the truck.

I live in a low crime area. Don’t see need to be carrying.

My rule is simply stay away from unsafe areas at night. Use toll roads ect.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Certainly a better choice than the Hogue stock ! Ray, I think you remember that was what my daughter attempted to use after a sow with two young attacked her client. After the sow died at the foot of the client she had to dispatch the Cubs, ran the magazine of her 375 Ruger dry so thought she would finish the little Cub with the butt of her rifle. I guess the rifle bounced off and the wounded little 120 pound Cub still had a lot of fight left in him ! Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship Phil Shoemaker Alaska Master guide CFII NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

I don't know Phil might just been easier to reload.

Or even just draw a handgun. That is what I have done to finish off wounded game

Instead of trying to beat the bear to death.

I just found it a lot faster and more humane.

I am glad you have all the answers to how Alaskan guides should act, but there is quite a bit more to the story.
The client was stalking a wolf on his own, with the guides permission, the guide was in camp and saw the bear between the wolves and her hunter. She grabbed her rifle and had a long run to get to him. Her spare ammo was in her pack at camp.

But I am sure that WITH ALL YOUR GUIDING EXPERIENCE you would have handled it all perfectly with your handgun.
And of course you would have known that F&W would back you up for killing the coys.

NOW WILL YOU SHARE YOUR GUIDING EXPERIENCES THAT YOU BRAG ABOUT WITH US ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Man ! You guys all must be experts on anything another poster has ever done or wanted to do! 2020

What is the problem with carrying a hand gun in Alaska? I have hunted Alaska on several occasions, and my rifle is a controlled round feed Mauser bolt rifle chambered for 375H&H rifle in a synthetic stock. I don't hunt Brown bear, but I do hunt moose, and caribou, and all my hunting in Alaska have been heavily populated with Brown bear as well. That being said, like many of the citizens of Alaska I do carry a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for 41 mag in a chest TANKER rig just tucked inside my rain gear where it is with me at all times. I see absolutely nothing wrong with having a firearm when doing work around camp where a rifle interferes with camp work. That hand gun is always with me when gutting a caribou, or moose shot in tight patches of alders, or cleaning and skinning a wolf or cleaning fish on a stream with tight bush along it's banks. Anyone who has been around the very large bears of Alaska can tell you if he catches the gut scent of a moose down wind he is going to come up wind to find you and your moose, and before you know it he will likely be on you before you can get a rifle into action, and have only time to let him claim the moose before you can get a rifle into action.
You guys can mock me all you want, but I would rather let the bear claim my moose, and rifle, and I'll come back later to get my rifle and what is left of my moose, unless I can get a good head shot on the bear from outside the dense alders where he is eating my moose.
I have seen almost all native Alaskans carrying handguns in villages out in the bush, so I guess they are stupid just like me to think a good heavy handgun is a little better that a pocket knife, or thier bare hands.
Certainly not pistol is going to be as effective as my rifle would, but it is certainly a better choice than fist fighting a brown bear.
............................Gentlemen, you may laugh all you want, but my Black Hawk .41 Mag is on me at all times in the out back of Alaska. Have all the fun you want, I'm a big boy(84 yrs old) I can take the ridicule with a smile, and hope my old black hawk will be around when you get into trouble! It's better that a prayer, or fists!
............................................... old MacD37

I'm 52 years old and have lived in Dillingham on Bristol Bay since 1998.
Excepting the first three years of my precious daughters life, I have successfully hunted moose every year here and have taken and helped take between one and four moose every year. I can explain in great detail the vagaries of field dressing moose in ponds and swamps, meadows and gravel beaches as well as the art of hauling the disassembled parts over hill and dale, thru a beaver pond, and load into a float plane, raft or jet skiff.

Over those 25 years I've come to develop opinions of cartridges and bullets, waders and pack frames, local air taxis, butchering methods, tents and whether or not to carry a handgun while big game hunting in Alaska.

If in your 80 some years on earth you've developed an opinion different that mine, that's fine, don't ask me. If any of these discussions were titled, " by the way,....fuck off Scott!" I'd happily do so and not participate. I haven't noticed that yet.

I am under the impression that a discussion forum like this has value and serves a purpose for members and participants seeking advise, opinions and experience regarding questions they may pose.

Oddly enough it is the standard for wannabes like pdog to vociferously insist their dominance and reject the experienced wisdom of voices like Shoemaker. I consider the prairie dog barking to be not helpful.

When receiving solicited advise I thought it'd be obvious to consider the source, but then again this is the internet.

Posts: 9074 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It's a free country and we are all blessed with the 2nd amendment so carry whatever you wish.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I am sure that WITH ALL YOUR GUIDING EXPERIENCE you would have handled it all perfectly with your handgun.

And of course you would have known that F&W would back you up for killing the coys.

Better the worrying about F@G.

As a working LEO in Wis. I had the legal authority to determine what critters had or could be legally shot.

In Wis all LEO's by law have the capacity to act as a Game warden.

I have had to kill most likely hundreds of wounded critters in my career. Deer bear ect.

That were hit by vehicles. Trying to beat one to death with my firearm.

Most likely would have got be me fired.

Or any other officer I know.

Happen to two officers who tried to kill a wounded deer with their batons. A much better impact weapon then a firearm.

But your right I would have handled it properly after running out of rifle ammo.

I would have pulled my handgun and shot it.

Because I would have had a handgun on me.

But your right if you don't have one you can not use one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
It's a free country and we are all blessed with the 2nd amendment so carry whatever you wish.

and some should learnt from that and Scott post.

unlucky we re slaves in canada and do not the same right. funny i can as of today do it if travelling to alaska ... alaska state and atf trust me more than canadian authorities ...

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Better the worrying about F@G.

As a working LEO in Wis. I had the legal authority to determine what critters had or could be legally shot.

In Wis all LEO's by law have the capacity to act as a Game warden.

I have had to kill most likely hundreds of wounded critters in my career. Deer bear ect.

That were hit by vehicles. Trying to beat one to death with my firearm.

Most likely would have got be me fired.

Or any other officer I know.

Happen to two officers who tried to kill a wounded deer with their batons. A much better impact weapon then a firearm.

But your right I would have handled it properly after running out of rifle ammo.

I would have pulled my handgun and shot it.

Because I would have had a handgun on me.

But your right if you don't have one you can not use one.

Got it, you were once a "working LEO". I didn't know there were any other type.
You also claim in other threads you were a guide, but you refuse to talk elaborate on it

But I fully understand why LEO's carry everyday. Thanks for your service

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot