THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What's Happened with the Bears in AK?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Happened with the Bears in AK?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Not sure what's up but there haven't been any bear attack / hand gun save reports for over a week now.

I thought you can't walk outside to take a leak in your back yards without being armed with a hog-leg to defend yourselves up there in AK. Slow week in bear country, or are the AK boys just shooting and shoveling lately?

A.J., PDawg, and Chuke seem to be laying low.

stir

I don't know about you guys but I look forward to the weekly bear attack / hand gun saves on the AK hunting forum and the "Saturday in Pictures" on the Humor section. Those are always good for some cheap entertainment.

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Not sure what's up but there haven't been any bear attack / hand gun save reports for over a week now.

Perhaps they were all shot, from long range (e.g., 600 yds). Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
quote:

Perhaps they were all shot, from long range (e.g., 600 yds). Big Grin

And finished with a pistol. wave

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7574 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
That just put coffee on the keyboard.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not AK but just for you Todd.

Nice that you are showing interest.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/...ttacks-already-tied/

This is just fatal attacks there have been several more mauling's.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
From what I could see They were all doing fine yesterday on the fishing stream.
I had six of them within 25 feet or less of my granddaughter and me while we were fishing.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I had six of them within 25 feet or less of my granddaughter and me while we were fishing.

Phil,

Did you upgrade from a 9mm to an RPG after what you've been learning about bear deterrence on AR? Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7574 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

That can't be Phil. All of us real bear experts in the lower 48 know you can't get within 100 yards of a bear without being eaten alive.

Wink

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Phil, I sent you a PM a couple of weeks back.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have a near DLP from 7/4 to report here on AR, but my internet has been spotty.

Not to spoil the story, but my daughter and I made it out alive despite the fact that we didn’t have bear spray or back up hand guns.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they all got scared off by PDS thinking maybe he was going bear hunting in AK with his super powerful handguns

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a near DLP from 7/4 to report here on AR, but my internet has been spotty.

When you have the time it sounds like a interesting story.

Kind of like the time Phil fired two warning shots from a 44. mag. to scare/stop off a bear.

As he related in his article in the June 2003 issue of hand loader Magazine.

Where he recommended the 357 mag and said his daughter carried a model 65 S@W and 180gr hard cast bullets.

It would be interesting to hear of all of Phil's stories involving handguns and bears.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

When you have the time it sounds like a interesting story.

Kind of like the time Phil fired two warning shots from a 44. mag. to scare/stop off a bear.

As he related in his article in the June 2003 issue of hand loader Magazine.

Where he recommended the 357 mag and said his daughter carried a model 65 S@W and 180gr hard cast bullets.

It would be interesting to hear of all of Phil's stories involving handguns and bears.

There are stories from over 40 years of living among brown bears. A small sow with a COY was feeding in the yard this morning.
If you are seriously interested there should be a full length feature in the 2022 Gun Digest that has just been printed

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are seriously interested there should be a full length feature in the 2022 Gun Digest that has just been printed

I have a complete set of gun digests from 1960 when I get my 2022 I will read it.

Had a single black bear about 200lbs in my yard a couple of days ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously she didn't have a handgun with her.....or maybe she just had pepper spray. Big Grin

https://nypost.com/2021/08/11/...dead-in-bear-attack/

A Russian woman stormed off from a wedding only to be eaten alive by a pack of bears, officials fear.

Yana Balobanova, 24, made emergency calls stating she was lost in a wooded area of Sverdlovsk, but rescue dogs on her trail found her scent overtaken by the smell of multiple brown bears and footprints from the animals, according to The Sun.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt Russian bears "run in packs"
I would believe a sow with nearly grown Cubs was responsible!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pack

a group of wild animals, especially wolves, living and hunting together.

Have seen black bears with 4 cubs.

The most I seen in a picture was a sow and 6 cubs.

Those sized groups are large enough to be "packs"

But do they hunt together, forage together for sure.

Organized hunting like wolves and coyotes?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm gonna believe what someone like you that lives among them everyday says. I was under the impressions that griz only tolerate each other's presence during salmon feeding time.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:
quote:

I'm gonna believe what someone like you that lives among them everyday says. I was under the impressions that griz only tolerate each other's presence during salmon feeding time.

I had seven Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in my camp at the same time and they were there all night. There are just some place with a hell'ish lot of bears.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 309 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:
quote:

I had seven Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in my camp at the same time and they were there all night. There are just some place with a hell'ish lot of bears.

I have had 5 individual boars sitting back in the brush watching me butcher a moose & When we have a meat shed full of moose it's not unusual for camp to be surrounded by bears.
But they remain separated by sex and age.
Sow, especially those with cubs, stay well away from the larger boars. And they too have a hierarchy!
They don't run in packs !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have had 5 individual boars sitting back in the brush watching me butcher a moose & When we have a meat shed full of moose it's not unusual for camp to be surrounded by bears.
But they remain separated by sex and age.
Sow, especially those with cubs, stay well away from the larger boars. And they too have a hierarchy!
They don't run in packs !

My seven bears in camp were a sow with two cubs in second year of life, and another sow with three cubs in their first year of life. They did a lot of damage, but no one and no bears were hurt, only a lot of gear, including a 12 foot Zodiac "Grand Raid".

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As there appears a "Thirst" for bear stories. Here is an account from 52 years ago.

A good example of how fast it can happen even when I was ready and had the rifle in both hands (cartridge in chamber), on full alert. I still did not have time to raise the rifle and shot from the hip.

1970' HOPE ROAD CHARGING Bear recount.

Some of you must know Lance T. former head of Habitat at Alaska F&G. In late May 1970' three of us were engaged in unofficial Porcupine control. Back then there were thousands of porcupines, I don't know why.

So we were shooting porky-pines between Los Anchorage and lovely Hope, Alaska. It was about 10:45 night and the last, or nearly last light. We were on the rough "Dirt" road that was the Hope Road. Roughly mile 9'ish. We saw a large'ish Black Bear cross the road, and we pulled up and stopped at the spot.

Now Lance and the other guy both had .22 LR pistols only, for executing Porky-pines. I had a Winchester model 100 in .308 Win. w/ a tip-off scope. (Those tip-off mounts were popular back fifty years ago)

So we are all on the passenger's side of the truck, and we are listening to this God awful crying and thrashing just fifteen or twenty feet away. It went on and on, and we figured that it was a sow spanking and driving cubs up a tree.

It was almost "full" dark, then suddenly we could hear the crashing coming towards us, In one heart beat a bear busted out of the dark woods/alders/willows from about six or eight feet, coming straight a Lance T. With out a split second for thinking, from the hip I shot the bear as it was with-in a foot or two of Lance T.

The muzzle of the rifle was an inch or two from the bears chest. The bear turned and went 180* the way it had come, back into the dark woods.

Now all Hell broke-out 15 feet away, crying and thrashing, and crashing, and it is now dark-dark. The story is getting long, so I'll wrap it up. I tipped off the scope, went in after the wounded bear (Which was hit center behind the shoulder). I skillfully missed the badly wounded bear three times form 12 feet with iron sights. The bear was just thrashing around NOT coming at me. I eventually flipped the scope back up, and could clearly see the bear through the scope and finished it.

OK, This is what is educational. There were NO bear cubs. The first thing I encountered on entering the woods was a day old moose calf that had a bite in the small of the back and still very alive but paralyzed. Next at about 10 feet was the wounded bear thrashing around, and a P!zzed'off cow that was about 12 feet away and lurching at the bear. The calf was crying, the cow was exhaling hard, and the bear was flopping around and crying also.

We figured that what happened is that we had not seen the cow and calf cross the road, only the bear right behind. And after the bear bit the calf in the small of the back, the cow charged the bear, and the bear retreating from the cow ran straight at Lance T. The bear was trapped between the truck and the cow.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought you can't walk outside to take a leak in your back yards without being armed with a hog-leg to defend yourselves up there in AK. Slow week in bear country, or are the AK boys just shooting and shoveling lately?

A.J., PDawg, and Chuke seem to be laying low.

stir

I don't know about you guys but I look forward to the weekly bear attack / hand gun saves on the AK hunting forum and the "Saturday in Pictures" on the Humor section. Those are always good for some cheap entertainment.

Cool

People with bear spray have scared them all into Canada ... donttroll

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are stories from over 40 years of living among brown bears. A small sow with a COY was feeding in the yard this morning.

The story related in the 2022 gun is a more detail account of Phil's 9mm bear shooting.

The statement I found most interesting is.

Quoting Phil. from the article.

"I stated handguns were not only likely to be useful for protection from attacking bruins, but their presence and availability were a genuine asset."

There is more, and interesting info from that attack. For those who want to read should get their own copy.

It would have been nice, if Phil would have put more of his stories in the article.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It would have been nice, if Phil would have put more of his stories in the article.

Have you ever considered "WHY" there are not hundreds and hundreds of accounts offered about stopping charging bears.....??? Or hundreds of other yucky bear experiences......??? The accounts are out there to be told.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like bear stories of all kinds.

And yes there are many accounts out there that never get told for various reasons.

Some quite unremarkable some very interesting for sure.

There are Thousands just in the DLP reports. Unfortunately the state of Alaska will not let any body review them.

There is a reason to keep on asking and finding them. The more data one has the better the data base.

The anti hunting and anti firearm crowd is great at throwing out data without or little backing.

Like firearms are not effective against bear attacks.

Like your more likely to get killed by lighting.

You don't need a firearm for defense spray works better.

With good data one can counter act the lies, myths and old wife's tales.

So I keep on asking.

We know Phil used a handgun at least twice to stop a bear. One was with his 44mag and warning shots and the now famous 9mm save.

I keep on hearing about a 3rd with a 357.

But no verification.

So more data better results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The internet and internet forums and other social media platforms are the reason these accounts are not told.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The internet and internet forums and other social media platforms are the reason these accounts are not told.

Some times, but also the internet and internet forums are also why we find out about a lot of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Some times, but also the internet and internet forums are also why we find out about a lot of them.

That is my point......you only hear about a minuscule percent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is my point......you only hear about a minuscule percent.

You will not get any argument from me about your point.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Todd. popcorn

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote