New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pants under hips boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry's in Alaska now, with 2 pair I sent him.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russell- You must be locked and loaded. Our trip up there was interesting. First, the lowest streamflows on the Peninsula they have seen in 25 years. At least up until 8/25, when the weather turned. It has rained a bunch since we left so guessing that it id back to normal. The drainage we fish(also fished by Butch) is fed primarily by a big swamp so it takes a bit to fill it up. Best of luck. There were bears every day, some good ones and some a pain in the rear end. Had a chance to fly quite a bit of the country by Cub. Our guy says more bears than ever. It sure looks like that to me.

Pretty much packed and waiting patiently. Seems the weather in Alaska has been warmer and drier than usual. I hope that doesn't impact bear movement negatively. Like you guys, I saw a ton of bears with Butch the two times I fished Wildman... one reason I booked with them. Fingers crossed. Fly out October 10th!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:
Russell- You must be locked and loaded. Our trip up there was interesting. First, the lowest streamflows on the Peninsula they have seen in 25 years. At least up until 8/25, when the weather turned. It has rained a bunch since we left so guessing that it id back to normal. The drainage we fish(also fished by Butch) is fed primarily by a big swamp so it takes a bit to fill it up. Best of luck. There were bears every day, some good ones and some a pain in the rear end. Had a chance to fly quite a bit of the country by Cub. Our guy says more bears than ever. It sure looks like that to me.

Pretty much packed and waiting patiently. Seems the weather in Alaska has been warmer and drier than usual. I hope that doesn't impact bear movement negatively. Like you guys, I saw a ton of bears with Butch the two times I fished Wildman... one reason I booked with them. Fingers crossed. Fly out October 10th!

Assume you are using your Orvis waders? My guide and packer both wore waders and said they would never hunt with hip boots. Taj Shoemaker prefers hip boots but his sister prefers waders. I used waders again on this past trip and will never wear hip boots again.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Taj flys floatplanes a lot, and doesn't wish to fall off the floats wearing waders so has learned to be comfortable in his hip waders.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:

It was plenty wet where I was. The term drenched comes to mind.

I saw 5 bears Sunday in about 3 hours until I decided to bag it.

The outfitter is 5 for 6 if I remember correctly. I messed up his record. At least one was hunted with a bow.

The hip boots are a pain in the backside.

Posts: 11941 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yes sir... pretty much committed to breathable waders and wading boots at this point. I do have a pair of 16" Schnees pac boots if the weather cooperates.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck up there Russell!

Posts: 1336 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id check with my outfitter first of all, and go with his advise..He hunts there daily and has for years I assume, and knows whats best for his area..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, December, October, November has come and gone. What happened? And having done it, would you prefer hips or waders now?

I hunted the Yukon Delta for almost 2 weeks in hipboots - Simms wading boots and Cabela's stocking foots. Worked perfectly.

There is something called wading pants. Sort of short waders. Might be ideal.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guide and packer both had Sims professional or guide (can't remember) series wading pants with separate boots. I used my Bass Pro Shops ones; they worked, but as usual, my neoprene feet leaked a bit (or maybe I was sweating).

There is no way in hell I am every wearing hip boots again. For one thing, we had to cross a river that would have been impossible with hip boots.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I used my Orvis Silver Label breathable waders, stocking foot with Orvis wading boots. They are a bit warm when walking over a couple of miles but they were invaluable when it rained or for river crossings. Also, I shot my bear in the river so they were a godsend when having to roll the bear out onto the bank.

I think if I do it again for moose I will use the breathable pant-type waders as a compromise.

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two trips way up north. One with Lacross ankle fit hip boots and the other with Lacross ankle fit burleys (knee high).
Neither are great if you have bad ankles. They can be a bitch to get off at the end of the day after walking for miles and your feet swell up.
I would opt for a stocking foot wader and boots.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Two trips way up north. One with Lacross ankle fit hip boots and the other with Lacross ankle fit burleys (knee high).
Neither are great if you have bad ankles. They can be a bitch to get off at the end of the day after walking for miles and your feet swell up.
I would opt for a stocking foot wader and boots.

EZ

I've only done one trip Way Up North. I took stocking foot hipboots. The hip part was ideal, and walking in the boots was relatively nice. HOWEVER, in stocking foot waders, you have water in the boot and while your socks may be dry(ish) until sweaty, if the water is particularly cold, you will be too. Our trip was on the warm side, so I got away with it, but I'm doubtful that I would do it that way again.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote