New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pants under hips boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going on a late September/early October bear hunt. I am told to wear hip boots. I am curious what pants you all who hunt in hip boots are wearing? It seems to me there will be a lot of sweat and/or condensation.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I am going on a late September/early October bear hunt. I am told to wear hip boots. I am curious what pants you all who hunt in hip boots are wearing? It seems to me there will be a lot of sweat and/or condensation.

Larry:

Go to Bass Pro Shops or something similar and get a pair of bootless waist high hip boots - then buy a pair of boots that fit the bootless waders comfortably - they will be bigger than normal but in a pinch you can wear them without the hip boots if you wear two pairs of socks. The boots don't need to be water proof, since they will be wet anyway. When I hunt with these, I frequently don't wear anything under them - they are like pants anyway. When I sit to glass I pull them down to my ankles if I wet with sweat.

Do not buy the old style rubber hip boots with the integral boot unless you like blisters, harder walking, and more sweat.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Levi's 501 tu2
Stocking foot waders are not real willow & or devils club resistant. YMMV?

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:

Levi's 501 tu2
Stocking foot waders are not real willow & or devils club resistant. YMMV?

I have not had a problem with them during several Alaskan and Yukon hunts. They are light enough to bring two. In fact, I haven't hunted with a guide who didn't wear this type.

If you are not used to hip boots, you will get blisters. I have tried ankle fit, etc. Part of my problem is my right foot cannot flex to form an acute angle, so when I walk uphill my heel doesn't hit the ground, which causes almost all boots to rub - esp hip boots.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've worn Lacrosse ankle fit hip boots for yesrs and I've worn breathable waders on hunts too.

Both have their pros and cons. With either type, wear whatever you want under them based on ambient temperature.

If they are hip boots, be aware if you are glassing or hiking in heavy rain, it will go down the top of the hip boots and get your pants wet. So, wear a long rain jacket or parka of some kind to cover your legs.

I also do not wear anything made of cotton on these types of hunts. Synthetics dry faster.

Posts: 444 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
+1

Whatever you would normally wear hunting works fine under hip boots. As mentioned a knee length raincoat to top it off.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Mammut, Arcteryx or Patagonia(last choice) in a 4 way stretch synthetic with a suspender system in addition to the belt. The Helly Hansen Impertech or the closest thing to it for the top. You will appreciate both the stretch and wicking of the synthetic.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fleece. And only fleece. Doesn’t bunch up, stays warm even if you get water in your boots, dries fast, tough, cheap, light weight. but this is only based off 20 years of guiding alaska with hip waders on....

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1395 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Fleece. And only fleece. Doesn’t bunch up, stays warm even if you get water in your boots, dries fast, tough, cheap, light weight. but this is only based off 20 years of guiding alaska with hip waders on....

lucky to never have the kind of rain you can have in alaska but i agree on fleece. even wet there are still light and warm but there is a but: do not not go to close to a campfire even wet they can catch fire very fast ...

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like a good plan I like fleece.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I concur about HH; I have a HH parka that I keep in my pack, but also have a Sitka parka. If it is raining and I am hiking, I will wear the Sitka with nothing under. When it is time to glass I will pull off the Sitka, throw on a dry later or two, then put on the HH parka.

When I walk I sweat a lot, so I typically wear nothing under my waders. Back when I wore hip boots I would often wear a Gore-Tex type pant underneath.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Take a look at coonhunting style froglegs from Conkeys, Dans or valley creek.
Durable, breathable and light weight.
Mine are from Valley Creek with Grub boots. I walk 20-30 miles a week in mine with 511 stryke pants under and perfectly comfortable in all conditions.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've worn hip boots most of my life hunting, trapping and fishing in several states, including 17 years in Alaska. I've tried them all and have always come back to LaCrosse rubber hip boots. The first thing I do is cut out those stupid calf straps and remove the belt straps. A good rubber boot will stay up without tying it to your belt.

The time of year you'll be hunting, synthetics are a must. I wear fleece for the same reasons fourtyonesix mentioned. There was time when I lived in the lower 48 when I was a professional trapper, working seasonally and then trapping the winter months when I lived in hip boots. The Lacrosse boots have always been exceptionally comfortable for me. I don't know that I'd sheep or goat hunt in them but I'd wear them for just about everything else.

I've never noticed sweat and condensation to be a problem, even in the warmer months.

I will recommend either going with an inseam a couple inches shorter than normal, or rolling a cuff in the bottom of your pant leg and pulling your sock up over the pant leg. It seems like every pair of pants where the seam and the hem come together there is a knot of material from the several layers of cloth and it always presses against inside of the point of the ankle, more so when you're in the water and have pressure against the boot. I just fold the pant leg up once a couple inches and pull my socks up over the pant leg. This keeps the pant leg from riding up in the boot as you walk and keeps that material knot up above the point of the ankle. Been doing that for 40 years with my hip boots.

Good luck on your hunt.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
I've worn hip boots most of my life hunting, trapping and fishing in several states, including 17 years in Alaska. I've tried them all and have always come back to LaCrosse rubber hip boots. The first thing I do is cut out those stupid calf straps and remove the belt straps. A good rubber boot will stay up without tying it to your belt.

The time of year you'll be hunting, synthetics are a must. I wear fleece for the same reasons fourtyonesix mentioned. There was time when I lived in the lower 48 when I was a professional trapper, working seasonally and then trapping the winter months when I lived in hip boots. The Lacrosse boots have always been exceptionally comfortable for me. I don't know that I'd sheep or goat hunt in them but I'd wear them for just about everything else.

I've never noticed sweat and condensation to be a problem, even in the warmer months.

I will recommend either going with an inseam a couple inches shorter than normal, or rolling a cuff in the bottom of your pant leg and pulling your sock up over the pant leg. It seems like every pair of pants where the seam and the hem come together there is a knot of material from the several layers of cloth and it always presses against inside of the point of the ankle, more so when you're in the water and have pressure against the boot. I just fold the pant leg up once a couple inches and pull my socks up over the pant leg. This keeps the pant leg from riding up in the boot as you walk and keeps that material knot up above the point of the ankle. Been doing that for 40 years with my hip boots.

Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks.

Interesting comment about the pants legs. We hunt in rubber boots down this way. We usually do one of two things:

1- There are cheap thin foam straps with Velcro on the end that are made to put on one’s pants legs to keep them from riding up and bunching up. Work great.

2- I grab the cuff of my pants and pull them out, straight away from my shin. Next, I wrap it around my shin and hold it in place as I slip my foot in the boot. This works very well.

The problem we get is when wearing jeans. There is a big knot where all the seams come together. That is a problem.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the same wrap you mentioned but could never get the pant legs to stay that way through a long day afield, hence the sock trick.

The knot you mentioned is exactly what I was talking about. Darned uncomfortable when it's pressing against the point of your ankle. Even happens in some synthetics and fleece, though not as often as jeans.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Sweatpants.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When we used to go bow hog hunting down in Luling we would wear tights under our jeans + dust ourselves liberally with diatomaceous earth inside the tights as the fire ants were so bad that they infested the trees themselves. D.E. will keep them off. Years ago when I still snow skied I would wear pantyhose under my pants. It really retains your body heat + allows flexible movement. I always was afraid that if I had an accident + was taken to the hospital they would open my pants + find me in a patr of panty hose.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hemmed a shoelace tie in my fleece pants. Kept my socks up and pants down in my knee high rubber boots and fleece pants.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1395 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hemmed a shoelace tie in my fleece pants. Kept my socks up and pants down in my knee high rubber boots and fleece pants.

Good idea....

I usually just do what Larry said, pull my pant leg out and around to fold it against my leg. It's works well enough most of the time. My hip boot and wader use is steelhead fishing from November to April. It usually involves a fair amount of hiking to get to the better spots.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use tape on my pants leg. Electric, painters, whatever I have. I got real skinny ankles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife said she would sew me on stirrups, like men use in gymnastics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sporthill 3SP pants

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Lacrosse Ankle fit and any pants I got on, plus there

Good luck on your hunt.

Another for lacross ankle fit and whatever pants I got on have spent 40 days a year in them for 30 plus years, they work and are quiet. In a boat I put my hands in them to stay warm, hunting one time near Tok we had no heat for several days leather boots froze could not put them on. Hip boots kept us warm. Use hip boots and Healy Hansen Impertech guide coat. Warm and dry.

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Years ago I did a lot of unguided Alaskan hunts. Used Lacrosse ankle fit hip boots and wore heavy fleece underwear next. This was the type of underwear you use with breathable chest waders. Drawstring waist, no pockets and stirrup foot. Wear a thigh length parka / rain poncho and you stay warm and dry.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
So instead of hip boots, if you have numerous pair of breathable waders, would you use what you had or still buy hip boots? I was thinking of just taking my dark green Orvis breathable waders with wading boots. I've covered quite a bit of terrain fishing in them without problem. They may be a bit noisier but definitely drier if it rains a lot. Which in Alaska is a pretty fair probability...

I am bear hunting on the peninsula with Wildman for geographical reference.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
So instead of hip boots, if you have numerous pair of breathable waders, would you use what you had or still buy hip boots? I was thinking of just taking my dark green Orvis breathable waders with wading boots. I've covered quite a bit of terrain fishing in them without problem. They may be a bit noisier but definitely drier if it rains a lot. Which in Alaska is a pretty fair probability...

I'm sure you know but no felt soles up here.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7573 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
They are lug soles...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can make them quieter by pulling a pair of Gore-Tex type pants or fabric pants over the waders. Gore-Tex type stuff works great.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

While I haven't hunted or fished in the location of your geographical reference (SE AK for me) I guess it may come down to what the guide suggests and what you prefer.

Many years ago I started out with hip boots like most folks and migrated to breathable waders again like most folks. Today unless conditions demand something else I've gone back to hip boots, this time the breathable variety. Reason being their lighter, cooler and a little easier to walk long distances in. Plus they can be rolled down to your knees when hot unlike any wader. Ultimately the guide can give a good account of what to expect during your time there, but remember the guide is human and has personal preferences too, so it's up to you to make the final decision.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thinking a fair number of folks use the Simms waist highs. I have worn them elk hunting in a riparian situation and the noise was not a bother. Not sure if you are hunting the Bering side or Pacific. The Pacific side is steep. Not sure on the Orvis fabric and noise.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Bering side...

I am pretty sure I am going to take what I have and see how it works... also have a pair of 16" Schnee pac boots to take and if it's not as wet as I think I can wear those with Kuiu gaiters.

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
posted Hide Post
Headed to Bering side next week for some fishing. Pretty close to where you will be, maybe a little east.It has been dry and warm so maybe that tundra slogging won't be so wet. Think you will be fine with your gear. A tube of Aquaseal with either the curing agent or rubbing alcohol might be handy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bering side...

I am pretty sure I am going to take what I have and see how it works... also have a pair of 16" Schnee pac boots to take and if it's not as wet as I think I can wear those with Kuiu gaiters.

You will be just fine with your gear.
Have fun & good luck!! tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If your feet are prone to sweat, bring a few pounds of talcum powder and apply it liberally and well each night before beddie-bye. tu2

Otherwise, your tootsies will quickly be smelling like a pack of dead goats rotting, and no one will want to be around you, most especially your guide. barf

Just to stifle the complaints from ass't guides, he'll probably offer to refund your deposit $$$ just to get you on the next float-plane out. Whistling

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:

If your feet are prone to sweat, bring a few pounds of talcum powder and apply it liberally and well each night before beddie-bye. tu2

Otherwise, your tootsies will quickly be smelling like a pack of dead goats rotting, and no one will want to be around you, most especially your guide. barf

Just to stifle the complaints from ass't guides, he'll probably offer to refund your deposit $$$ just to get you on the next float-plane out. Whistling

Thanks AJ but baby wipes on your feet, crotch, pits, and face do wonders when I am in a tent for two weeks in AK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Baby Wipes are an essential. You can feel pretty clean and comfortable for the whole trip if you use them to clean your armpits crotch and butt every day. This from hundreds of days camping in AK -30 to +80F.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE Thanks AJ but baby wipes on your feet, crotch, pits, and face do wonders when I am in a tent for two weeks in AK.[/QUOTE]

Just make sure you get the correct order Wink dancing

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Ankle kit hip boots. Long Helly Hansen guide coat.Light weight synthetic pants (I use Prana) with good wool socks. use thicker/thinner socks, double up, sock liners, etc for tune ankle fit boot fit.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell- You must be locked and loaded. Our trip up there was interesting. First, the lowest streamflows on the Peninsula they have seen in 25 years. At least up until 8/25, when the weather turned. It has rained a bunch since we left so guessing that it id back to normal. The drainage we fish(also fished by Butch) is fed primarily by a big swamp so it takes a bit to fill it up. Best of luck. There were bears every day, some good ones and some a pain in the rear end. Had a chance to fly quite a bit of the country by Cub. Our guy says more bears than ever. It sure looks like that to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
go to any quality sporting goods shop and they will have liner pants with foot stirups to go with hip wader or chest waders, I've worn them for years while fishing the cold springs and autums in New England. Nothing worse than having your pants leg ride up inside your boots while your socks slip down to your ankles.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote