Find
Notify
Tools

Fatal mauling of moose hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/g...ational-park-alaska/

A hunter was killed by a grizzly bear in a national park in Alaska over the weekend, the National Park Service said Tuesday. The attack marked the first known fatal bear mauling in the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve since it was established in 1980.

The National Park Service said the hunter was on a 10-day moose hunt with a friend near the Chisana River when the attack happened on Sunday.

The name of the hunter who was killed, as well as specific details of the attack, have not yet been released. An investigation is pending.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to judge without details, could be a lot of factors at play.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I read that too on Fox News. Didn't have any details other than the area and that it was a moose hunter.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And then there was also the story of the grizzly getting under the fence at the Alaska Zoo in Anchorage and killing the famous Lama. Been to that zoo many, many times with the grandkids who live in Eagle River. That bear was tracked down and put down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anchorage Daily News just said that the hunter was killed in a surprise bear attack while field dressing his moose. A 22 year old man from Ohio.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Anchorage Daily News just said that the hunter was killed in a surprise bear attack while field dressing his moose. A 22 year old man from Ohio.

I read that. A good news outlet to follow, seems to be a lot of shit happening up there. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Similar to another fatal Grizzly attack in recent years involving a downed Moose.

https://www.bizjournals.com/me...in-grizzly-bear.html

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:

I read that. A good news outlet to follow , seems to be a lot of shit happening up there. Big Grin

Grizz

That would depend on how you define "good". The ADN's reporting bias is very obvious and has been for a very long time.

"In review, the Anchorage Daily News covers local news through reporters with minimal bias such as this: Anchorage awards $1 million in small-business grants to help with pandemic recovery. National and international news is republished through the Associated Press as well as the Washington Post and LA Times.

Editorially, the Anchorage Daily News never endorsed a Presidential Candidate until 2016, when they endorsed Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton: In a first, AFN board endorses a presidential candidate — Clinton. A thorough review of op-eds reveals more slightly more favor the left. In general, the news is reported factually, with a left-leaning editorial bias."

LINK

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would depend on how you define "good". The ADN's reporting bias is very obvious and has been for a very long time.

Most of the time they are, in my experience! Big Grin But so are most newspapers today! Mad

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Not to mention mainstream media in general.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was moose and Caribou hunting up off a tributary of the Noatak a bit over 30 yrs ago. My hunting partner and I had killed two moose. we were floating the tributary with two rafts. One with meat and horns and the other with us. We must have floated a mile prior to finding a clearing big enough on the side of the stream to camp.
It was extremely thick on both side of the stream with Alders.
We pulled on shore and there were a ton of fish littered on the bank but looked pretty old.
we pitched camp and set our meat on the other side of the stream about 40 yrs away and pulled the rafts away from it.
No problem over night. Next morning I wanted to get up on a little ridge about 200 ft above the stream but I had to fight through about 1oo yds of thick alder to get there.
was working my way though a little trail about 1/2 in when I walked up on a steaming pile of bear crap. It could not have been 5 minutes old.
Never eased my rifle off safety so fast and eased back out of there.
Never saw anything but my senses were on high alert.

Those trips were adventures I will never forget.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eez:

Yours is months old, my Dad's story is from
'66.

Folks drove up from CO. Moose, caribou, goat, brownie, couple months seeing Alaska and fishing all they could.

Hired a local with a boat to take him across to Admiralty. They looked around awhile without seeing anything. Local went back to the mainland. Dad laid canvas and bag down on the beach and went to bed with his .375.

Next morning, fixed eats, looked around. Found a bear tunnel and crawled up it about 1/4 mile
til he found a hot pile of bear shit too.
"stuck my hand in it and it was HOT" "About that time I realized just how damned stupid I was and crawled out. Took quite awhile to get the guys attention, then forever until he got across to pick Dad up" So much for his brown bear hunt.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, This is the reason I always have a 41 mag Ruger Black Hawk handgun in my tanker chest rig on me when hunting or cleaning game or doing camp chores in Alaska. Laugh if you want but it doesn't effect me. It may not save my life, but it leaves something for my family to take home for the funeral, because it will kill the bear's appetite for a Texan raw meat dinner. ................................... old MacD37.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I agree. It's pretty hard to clean and cut up an animal holding a rifle. Three feet away can be too far.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree. It's pretty hard to clean and cut up an animal holding a rifle. Three feet away can be too far.

I agree nothing can beat having it on your body. I always tried to make sure I had a gun within arms reach at all times. If I couldn't reach out and touch it I'm doing it wrong, even during camp chores, etc.

I really liked having a sitting height bipod on my rifle. Aside from its use shooting over low tundra scrub, it was very nice to set up beside me with the legs fully extended when skinning. Skinning a bear on Kodiak with a buddy I was stunned when one seemed to appear out of open tundra just a few yard away!

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a tanker rig lol....may never need it but I hope to be in the same exact position the hunter was in when he was attacked soon.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote