New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interisting 10mm bear save.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who say you can't say "Oh fuck a bear" draw your pistol fire two rounds and drop a charging bear at 10 feet.

From Anthony face book page picture there.

https://www.facebook.com/group...ink/685978508468262/

Anthony Reyna is with Ron Sheldon and Jimmy Cox.

September 21, 2018

“Kill or be killed”

The night of the 18th, I had went out moose hunting with my buddy. We set a plan, time, and in we went. We sat in on a clearing around 1800 and I started calling first with a deep cow call. After that it was multiple bull grunt and scrapes. By 1840 or so we heard what we thought was going to be a moose. Boom! First bull comes in to the call at 30 ish yards but I didn’t have a view of his body, just the top of his paddles. As we start to make the move on him, we hear another twig snap, and a couple of grunts, boom! Bull number two (ended up harvesting) at 15 yards. At this point we were kneeled as we moved toward bull number 1, no cover, bull number 2 and I make eye contact and he went out to about 20 yards, and gave me a shot, he was relatively smaller, but I did not care I was grocery shopping. As I release my arrow, he turns slightly away and I hit off a rib.

He peels off down into a draw, I knew 100 percent I missed my mark. I still had eyes on him and waited two minutes before I decided to put the stalk on. I cautiously walk down into a draw which has a creek running through it, I have eyes on my bull, and I’m 200 yards out. I crouch in the grass, body shaking almost uncontrollably, making slow movements and then I decide to get down into the creek and walk it down. I walk to 50-75 yards, pop my head up, eyes on the bull, this also allowed me time to calm down. I got back on the ledge and proceeded to finish my stalk! The last time I seen this bull alive was when I ranged him at 24 yards, drew my bow, on the mark and it fly with 100 grain @ragebroadheads. No pass through but went through both lungs. From here, he knows he made a mistake and peels off. We waited a couple minutes for the woods to die down, and started trailing a very faint blood trail. By 2000, we had lost blood. Sun was down, so we decide not worth risking: safety trying to find this guy at night. So we decide let’s hit it in the morning.

That morning I as did my two buddies knew we were probably going to have a run in with a bear, So Jimmy brings his Glock 20 and we go out with the intent to find my moose. We walk for maybe 10 minutes, generally east/ southeast about 200 yards from where I shot him the evening prior. My buddy Jimmy heard crows and wrestling to our left, he says that’s probably your bull, so we decide to walk the 50 yards. At this point we haven’t spotted the moose yet but has seen the crows kick up, and less then a second after that you hear the roar, from our 12 o clock, and boom freaking 7 1/2 foot brown bear yards 10 yds away and full charge, my buddy Jimmy who was leading yells ever so calmly “Oh fuck bear” draws his Glock 20 and without hesitation drives two bullets into the charging bore at roughly 10 feet from him. One to the head, one to the chest “Perfect.” At this point, and it being so fast it’s hard to comprehend what had just happened.
Immediately afterward I call fish and game, and report that we had to drop a brownie by self defense and nobody is injured, while on the phone my friend Ron had located my moose. Completely buried, ear ripped off, stomach and genitals ripped open. But from what we could tell all meat looked salvageable.

Waiting for fish and game we had two black bears in the immediate area, they’re less than terrifying by any means but no matter bears at this point. Fish and game shows up and no issues. His name was Mark and he said “Glad you acted as quick as you did to Jimmy, good job, congrats on both harvests, do this, all clear, tomorrow head to anchorage Fish and game office to file a little paperwork.”

So, all is good, and the remainder of the day was uneventful, we quarter the moose in an hour and a half. While Ole Jimmy worked on this bore which was 7 1/2 and estimated by the conservation officer on base to weight at 800-850 “freaking man eater” we help out finishing up this massive predator and a Co worker of ours was able to get his truck to about 100 yards from where we harvested both animals so the pack out was minimal! I got back home, meat initially cleaned and in the shed by 2130.

What a crazy 48 hours, this was my first archery moose, and a first of many other things, the trophy was harvesting a moose with my bow. We are blessed that we all came out as we went in. Alaska is a gnarly place, most scenarios that involve a fresh kill, a charging Brown bear, and humans usually never turn out how it did for us. I’m glad we didn’t become another statistic.
Thanks for the help, and I’m glad I could experience it with the people I did, with anybody else, someone might have not been coming home

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story. When you do manly things sometimes the piper demands payment. I’m glad they were up to it.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Good shooting and great ending. Thanks for sharing.
I would say that either the estimate of the boars weight of 800-900 pounds , or the 7 1/2 foot estimate of the hide were wrong.
But that is a minor detail when any bear is after you. they all look big!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yeah, all's well that ends well. Wonder what 10 mm load Jimmy had in his Glock.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
A 7 1/2" foot bear should be about 400 to 500 lbs and four years old maybe Phil?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would say that either the estimate of the boars weight of 800-900 pounds , or the 7 1/2 foot estimate of the hide were wrong.

Unless one has looked at and weighed a lot of dead bears, field estimates are normally way off.

Here in Wis we have the luxury of being able to weigh most of the bears we kill.

Everybody in the hunting party throws a buck into the pot and the closet to the weight gets the pot.

The new guys guesses are all over the place us old timers can get close get with in a few pounds.

But every once in a while a bear really fools you.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
P dog, what do ya'll do with those Wisconsin bears? Are they good for the table? A friend who bowhunts out of Oshkosh sent me some rendered bear oil a while back. Wonderful stuff if you shoot muzzleloaders.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
P dog, what do ya'll do with those Wisconsin bears? Are they good for the table? A friend who bowhunts out of Oshkosh sent me some rendered bear oil a while back. Wonderful stuff if you shoot muzzleloaders.

Rendered bear fat makes some of the best pastry you will ever eat.Sorry I am not PD but bear in Wi.eats real good.Probably because it does not have a fish diet.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eat them I love good bear meat.

I would take a good bear over a good deer any day

Like any wild food it is all about processing it properly. From the time it is shot to wrapped for the freezer.

My wife makes a great pie crust out of the lard.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have heard bear lard is unsurpassed for making pastry crusts.
The only bear I have had was really gamey, but I didn't know anything about the backstory on how quickly it was dressed and cooled or how it was butchered.
A guy at work once brought a bag of bear jerky he had made. I passed, having read about the trichinosis risk present in jerked bear and cougar meat.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A guy at work once brought a bag of bear jerky he had made. I passed, having read about the trichinosis risk present in jerked bear and cougar meat.

I ccok my bear meat well done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eat them I love good bear meat.

I would take a good bear over a good deer any day

Like any wild food it is all about processing it properly. From the time it is shot to wrapped for the freezer.

My wife makes a great pie crust out of the lard.[/QUOTE]

tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Shot placement!

Put the bullet in the right place, and you will get results.

You could a 458 Win Magnum in the wrong place and not much will happen!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could a 458 Win Magnum in the wrong place and not much will happen

But powerful firearm driving a well made bullet can place that bullet in the wrong spot and still drive through to a good spot.

Where as a weaker cartridge might not do that.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
You could a 458 Win Magnum in the wrong place and not much will happen

But powerful firearm driving a well made bullet can place that bullet in the wrong spot and still drive through to a good spot.

Where as a weaker cartridge might not do that.

Bear meat is tasty
Bear fat makes great pit crusts
And a 458, even if in the wrong place, beats a 9mm !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting story.

Anyone have any comment or link to an actual story on the effectiveness of .45 ACP on Brown Bear ?

In before anyone says use 10 MM, .44 Mag, .454 Casull, all of which I dont have.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
Interesting story.

Anyone have any comment or link to an actual story on the effectiveness of .45 ACP on Brown Bear ?

In before anyone says use 10 MM, .44 Mag, .454 Casull, all of which I dont have.

Go to the link scroll down to the 45acp saves and read them. It might help answer your questions.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/...-cases-96-effective/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PDS

Very good article. Thanks for the link. It certainly answered many pistol questions. Bottomline it seems skill of the operator under pressure is the deciding factor.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I have heard bear lard is unsurpassed for making pastry crusts.
The only bear I have had was really gamey, but I didn't know anything about the backstory on how quickly it was dressed and cooled or how it was butchered.

For a while I read a lot of "first person" accounts of settlers and military journals describing life with American Indians. They said their Indian guides would stop everything to catch a bear or chop down the tree that a bear was hibernating in and then immediately feast on the bear. Bear grease/oil was also highly prized. Read it repeatedly, so it seemed likely to be based in truth.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottomline it seems skill of the operator under pressure is the deciding factor.

Well in any shooting situation it helps to have the skills necessary. To place rounds on target.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Bottomline it seems skill of the operator under pressure is the deciding factor.

Well in any shooting situation it helps to have the skills necessary. To place rounds on target.

It not only helps - it is a necessity!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot