THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    WSJ Story about Alaska's Cold Winter

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSJ Story about Alaska's Cold Winter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Every issue of the WSJ has a front page story about some kind of irrelevant topic with respect to business. Today's story is about the cold winter AK is having. I have Prudhoe Bay, Kiana, Fairbanks, and King Salmon on my phone and been watching the temps all winter. Been cold, but as the story said, hasn't hit 50 below yet...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-40 here last week and we're only at about 53 deg. Lat. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Every issue of the WSJ has a front page story about some kind of irrelevant topic with respect to business. Today's story is about the cold winter AK is having. I have Prudhoe Bay, Kiana, Fairbanks, and King Salmon on my phone and been watching the temps all winter. Been cold, but as the story said, hasn't hit 50 below yet...

Oh GREAT now its global cooling dancing
tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
It is odd, here in Barrow the sea ice was very late coming in. It screwed up the fall whaling season. They only caught one bowhead.

It’s getting cold now. We are set so see -30 for the next week or so. And the sun peaked over the horizon for the first time yesterday.

Polar bears had been coming into town frequently because of the lack of ice.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The Homer Harbor usually don't freeze until Feb. if at all. Cook inlet got your sea ice early.
Has been frozen sense last week of dec. Glad I pulled my boat Dec. 12 tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like winter was a bit slow in getting cold here. It made up for it. It's been bitter cold for some time now. Brrrr!

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
It is odd, here in Barrow the sea ice was very late coming in. It screwed up the fall whaling season. They only caught one bowhead.

It’s getting cold now. We are set so see -30 for the next week or so. And the sun peaked over the horizon for the first time yesterday.

Wow - I don’t know who you guys live thru winter in barrow Alaska.

I would go crazy and depressed not seeing sunlight.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

but he is not telling you about daylight the rest of the year.
here we got 5hours minu during winter but it is increasing fast and summer is land of midnightsun ...

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

This is only my second winter in The Slope. So far it has not been too bad. Even at the darkest part it Winter we get a couple of hours of midday twilight. And with everything covered in bright white snow the twilight is pretty bright. It at least resets your body clock.

And the thing that no one ever mentions is that the moonlight on the snow keeps things from ever getting too dark. It’s not light, but it’s never fully dark either.

And I saw the sun today for the first time since early December! It began popping over the horizon Thursday but I didn’t have a chance to see it until today.

It was -31 F with a windchill of -54 so I won’t be sunbathing just yet...

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What a special place Alaska is! Only been there once -- Wrangell via Juneau for fishing. Spectacular. I don't know how I would react to the depths of winter way up north. Geez, I needed a happy light in Salem, Oregon!

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaska has very long twilights; it is light much longer after sunset than, say Africa, and likewise, it is light well before sunrise. That is why even in Anchorage, which does have a sunrise and sunset, stays light enough in June to tie on a fishing lure all night long.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I don't know how I would react to the depths of winter way up north. Geez, I needed a happy light in Salem, Oregon!

I should have mentioned that I started using a happy light this winter and it does seem to make a difference. I also take a lot of vitamin D.

As far as depression goes it seems like there is a lag on how the darkness affects people. Even though the light is back the months of February and March are the worst for people in general.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I don't know how I would react to the depths of winter way up north. Geez, I needed a happy light in Salem, Oregon!

I should have mentioned that I started using a happy light this winter and it does seem to make a difference. I also take a lot of vitamin D.

As far as depression goes it seems like there is a lag on how the darkness affects people. Even though the light is back the months of February and March are the worst for people in general.

When I lived in Intl Falls the short days (granted, not like AK, but still short) didn't depress me but snow at the end of April or beginning of May sure did.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off the wall kinda.
Winter of '69 I worked underground in a
mine day shift, seven days a week.
Dark when we went in, dark all day,
in the hole, still dark when we got out.

About the twelth week I asked for a day off
or change to night shift as I hadn't
seen the sun in three months and it was
screwing me up.

Boss refused. I quit end of that very shift.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Angle of the arc of the sun. On the equator it travels perpendicular to the horizon straight up and down. The farther north or south you are it travels at an angle to the horizon. I really like it up there need to get back

QUOTE]Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Alaska has very long twilights; it is light much longer after sunset than, say Africa, and likewise, it is light well before sunrise. That is why even in Anchorage, which does have a sunrise and sunset, stays light enough in June to tie on a fishing lure all night long.[/QUOTE]

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote