THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Up Dated Handguns self-defense against bears

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Up Dated Handguns self-defense against bears
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
20 more cases of handguns used in self-defense against bears 97% success rate.

Enjoy the read

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/...-cases-97-effective/

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
20 more cases of handguns used in self-defense against bears 97% success rate.

Enjoy the read

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/...-cases-97-effective/

Thanks!! tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you have to pull out a pistol and do battle with a bear is where the rubber meets the road. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the older data doesn't provide shot placement,Bullet speed or Bullets use. Better records will be kept now so we will have much better data in the future.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even in a lot of the new shootings one really has to dig to find out what caliber and what bullet was used.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It would be nice if Fish and Wildlife took the Lead and asked for the information.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
P Dog Shooter,

That was really well done. Riveting reading.

My big take away is that, discounting the one 357 failure in which the shots likely missed, handguns from 357 and up were 100% effective in stopping attacks.

When you consider the number of variables involved, from shooter competency to suitability if ammunition, that is remarkable.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
P Dog Shooter,

My big take away is that, discounting the one 357 failure in which the shots likely missed, handguns from 357 and up were 100% effective in stopping attacks.

When you consider the number of variables involved, from shooter competency to suitability if ammunition, that is remarkable.

The human factor is by far the biggest factor then the caliber involved.

The ability to recognize trouble then prepare and react properly is far more important.

Then if one has to the willingness to shoot the bear and stop it.

The better the shot you are the more likely you will be able to place your shots where they will do the most good.

Personally in grizzly country I prefer a 357 and above with a suitable deep penetrating bullet giving 20 plus inches in ballistic gel.

Due to the different nature of most black bear attacks most anything well work.

Here in Wis. I carry most of the time one my 45acps, 357mags, 40S@W's, 41 mag when out and about.

When out hunting bears I carry my 41 or one of my 44mags.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
P Dog Shooter,

I agree. Thanks!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As always we are looking for more self-defense stories.

Involving bears and handguns if you have one that is verifiable let me know and I will see it gets to the author.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had two "fun with bears" incidents and they were interesting. The first one happened on the Shields River about a mile and a half from Wilsall, MT. I was gopher hunting with a 22 on a friend's ranch and had a black bear, 200 pounds or so follow me back to my truck. It moved off after I got into the truck, yelled at it and started the truck. I did not leave in any great hurry.

The other occasion was a lot more fun. Custer Nat Forest, in a "yeah there are a few bears in the area" campground. 350 pound 6 footer tried to get into our trailer, while we were in it. It was still just legal shooting hours, he rocked the trailer a couple of times. I got out and shooed him off twice, third time was not his lucky day. It was spring bear season, I had a tag and a 7x57R under 12ga combo gun (turkey season was open and our reason for being in the area.) Since it was "in season" and all I guess FWP didn't consider it a defensive shooting. This could have been a lot less fun if we'd been tent camping, after this Lori decided NEVER to tent camp EVER again.

The FWP biologist admitted that USFWS was on occasion dumping "problem" bears in that area from the Big Horn Nat. Recreation area to the south...And once in a while these bears did get into some trouble with the ranchers in the area. In case you thought USFWS was not infested by bunny hugging jackasses, big surprise!

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was spring bear season, I had a tag and a 7x57R under 12ga combo gun (turkey season was open and our reason for being in the area

I shot a couple of turkeys and deer with my 12gax7x57R combo.

One turkey was head shot while on the fly with the 7x54R barrel no lack of killing power

Been through Wilsall, MT several times traveling to white sulphur springs