THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Outstanding Service From Taj Shoemaker

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outstanding Service From Taj Shoemaker
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just now have internet on my computer (overnighting in ANC). I wanted to let everyone know what a fantastic hunt I had with Phil and Taj Shoemaker.

Forget the fact I shot a moose after passing on a few; after arriving in camp I found out the apparently new bottle of my glaucoma drops was empty. I was going to blow it off for the duration of the hunt, but on day 3 or so Taj landed to drop off a packer (who had just finished packing out another hunter's moose) and asked if we needed anything. I said I was out of glaucoma drops - more lamenting than asking, because what the hell is Taj going to do? Well, he was heading to Kodiak the next day. He gave me a Sat phone and told me to call Ms AZW; I told him not to worry, but gave him her contact details.

Next day Taj flew over at the end of the day and dropped a packet 15 feet over our heads. One newspaper, three freeze dried ice cream bars (that tasted pretty good), and a filled prescription for my glaucoma drops.

No one would have done what Taj did IMO. I was blown away.

If you want an Alaskan hunt, I wholeheartedly recommend Taj (who has now taken over the biz end of the hunting operations) and Phil (who was out guiding the last hunter when I left camp). Outstanding hunting area, outstanding game, and a focus on the little things that impressed the hell out of me.

Biebs: the first cookie I ate in camp suddenly made your quote about Rocky's cookies pop into my brain.

My guide was an AR member whom I bought a rifle from a few years ago. He was a perfect fit for me; we got to hash out AR posts, he got the coffee ready first thing, and was really fun to be around. And last but not least, was in great physical shape. BTW, he and our packer both wore Simms waders and not hip boots. Conditions were wet but was actually a nice break from PHX weather.

We saw lots of moose, but saw more bears, and I wasn't even hunting from a spike camp they use for bears. Going to be an outstanding bear season in about two weeks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks John! Always nice to hear feedback. Was a pleasure having you in camp. And we are looking forward to bear season!

Posts: 20 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

If you were with Mr.Fairbanks you with a peach of a guy. He may be the most honest person I've ever met.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Mark, He is also quite knowledgeable and talented !
And knows bears !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I have no doubt of that.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I'll bet he can't make cookies like Mom! :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Biebs, you are 100% correct on that !
But Tia can ! And typically gets her clients on monster bears too !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
John,

If you were with Mr.Fairbanks you with a peach of a guy. He may be the most honest person I've ever met.

Mark

He said to me, "You packing the moose ribs (bone in)/neck meat and rack was my tip."

I tipped him anyway of course. Class guy.

Off to the lower 48 in 2 1/2 hours. I will miss AK...the drive back yesterday from the Kenai Peninsula brought back some great memories of living here in the 80s.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Biebs, you are 100% correct on that !
But Tia can ! And typically gets her clients on monster bears too !

The other thing we are in alignment on was food: Mike considers food as fuel. I consider eating something to be done while glassing. I really don't like big breakfasts: too much time dicking around when we could be looking for animals. Mike had oatmeal and I skipped bfast except for the last day.

Our meals were simple and fast. He might not make cookies, but he does make a killer grilled cheese sandwich. His moose stroganoff is pretty good too.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Over the past 40 years I have guided in Alaska I have heard many hunters gripe about either the lack of or poor quality food offered on other hunts.
We can't control weather or game movements but I realized early on that quality food is one aspect of the hunt outfitters do have control over.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was the last moose hunter in camp this year with Phil and Taj. I'm in total agreement with John. My first hunt in Alaska and what a great trip! No lack of good food, including the cookies and homemade bread.

Phil and Mateo called my moose in on the 10th day of hunting. Fantastic way to end the hunt.

Thanks Phil, Taj and Mateo.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words and thanks for hunting with us John and Andy. The chance to hunt with great clients is really what makes guiding “living the dream”.

I may not be the Peninsula’s premier camp cook but my hot cheese sandwiches are usually 100% and every year I come up with at least one dinner that’ll make the books!

John, I sent you a PM with my contact info.

Andy, good luck on your mule deer hunt this fall.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWS:
Thanks for all the kind words and thanks for hunting with us John and Andy. The chance to hunt with great clients is really what makes guiding “living the dream”.

I may not be the Peninsula’s premier camp cook but my hot cheese sandwiches are usually 100% and every year I come up with at least one dinner that’ll make the books!

John, I sent you a PM with my contact info.

Andy, good luck on your mule deer hunt this fall.

"Usually 100%?"

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter

"Usually 100%?"

Usually 100% successful!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I've always heard nothing but great things about the Shoemakers! This confirms the obvious.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pictures please.....

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
In 2010, I accompanied my Cousin on a spring bear hunt with Phil’s Grizzly Skins crew. Mike was not his guide but after 8 days of a 10 day hunt and no bear, Phil sent him to our spike camp for an extra set of eyes. Mike showed up with a pair of walking sticks and a fancy rifle someone wanted Phil to try out on the Penn. Mike need the walking sticks because he had blown out his patella tendon on his hunt. We never got a bear but the injury did not slow Mike down. And, the friendly banter between him and our guide Luke made time on the spotting hill fly even though the weather was less than pleasant. As Phil flew me out we noticed a rather large grass fire heading towards camp and the Arctic Oven tent. We could see Mike & Luke frantically trying to put it out. Apparently the fire set to burn out our latrine got a little out of hand. Luckily, it missed camp, but not by much. My Cousin did return 3 years later and got a very nice bear on the first day of hunt with Tia as his guide. P.S. Rocky’s cookies are the real deal.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
We used Taj (Island Air) as our air taxi for the Kodiak Goat hunt. Excellent service, support, and organization.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7573 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PWS sent me some moose meat via FedEx; just arrived. We don't eat beef so really happy to get some moose meat. He shrink wrapped and froze it. How do you beat that?

One other thing about Grizzly Skins: Taj took my cape and antlers to a freight forwarder in King Salmon. I will pay the actual shipping charges. My last outfitter charged a flat fee of $1000 to expedite my bear skin to my taxidermist. Not complaining, but with the Shoemakers there truly are no hidden charges or addons.

If they were not booked for bear in 2021 I would book with them again. Who knows? Maybe the moose bug (shot five so far) is not yet cured...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was the 1000 dollar cost thru Cabot? I'm hunting with him starting October 7th. I felt the fee was a little excessive since Cole Kramer sent my Kodiak Bear hide to Montana for 350 bucks in 2014. Let me know if any alternatives. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scott f.:
Was the 1000 dollar cost thru Cabot? I'm hunting with him starting October 7th. I felt the fee was a little excessive since Cole Kramer sent my Kodiak Bear hide to Montana for 350 bucks in 2014. Let me know if any alternatives. Thanks.

Yes, Cabot. You will have a great hunt with him; great area, great gear and great food. I paid the fee because I didn't want to mess with it. Just pointing out Phil doesn't do that kind of stuff, and I appreciated it.

If you want, just take the bear to the freight forwarder at the airport in King Salmon, have them ship it to an expediter in Anchorage, and have them ship it to you. The bill to ship my cape and antlers to ANC from AKN was $30...I looked at Taj with a WTF? look and he just smiled. Just make sure it is fleshed and salted - the guide I had with Cabot was a taxidermist and my taxidermist said the fleshing was excellent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taj is a great pilot and used him in my bear hunt on kodiak

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
AAZW: Pics of your moose, or it didn't happen1

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
AAZW: Pics of your moose, or it didn't happen1

I don't post pics; PM your email and I will send to you. You can post if you like.

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Finished up the season and we're all headed to the next.

Here's a pic of AAZW's bull and the "Crack" team Phil has put together at Grizzly Skins.

Good Hunting All,

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
That moose is a stud !! Great story congrats

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. What a great report, and with high recommendations!

Some day, I will have to hire the Shoemakers for my Alaska hunt. I have been to Alaska about six times, but never to hunt. I have been there on business and done a little fishing, but now I think I'd like to hunt bear and moose.

I just bought a Ruger SS/lam. in 375 Ruger (grey lam. without the muzzle brake: not a 'guide gun') for just this occasion.

Thanks everybody for the pics, comments, and recommendations. tu2

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Mike, was it off the Von Trapp spotting hill?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome deal. I am interested in this operation as well

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Mike, was it off the Von Trapp spotting hill?

It does look like it, but was at main camp !
Which explains the seriousness !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is that's a good family and I consider them my personal friends for quite some time now..I put more water in the beans when I see them coming!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ray, had you added more fat and chilies instead of water we would have returned more often.

And brought out the good guns !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
We both know better than to bring out the good guns,that's a kiss of death to old gun traders!! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote