Find
Notify
Tools

"WILDERNESS can CHANGE a MAN"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"The wilderness can change a man"

There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not him

Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

Being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, (40 days and 40 nights in the time of Christ) so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always found I rather go to uninhabited places then any city.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

"Wilderness can change a man", was written after spending six months alone in the Alaska wilderness, with zero human contact (sight or sound).

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:

"Wilderness can change a man", was written after spending six months alone in the Alaska wilderness, with zero human contact (sight or sound).

I've seen that show (Alone). Big Grin

J/k, but great show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth" Attributed to Steve McQueen. I concur.

Dave Manson

Posts: 685 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

X2.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote