THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Acton Bunny boots. Any experience with them

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acton Bunny boots. Any experience with them
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted
Has anyone used these in cold weather? I think these are current issue Arctic gear in the military, but dont know for sure. I have us set up in great condition White Bata bunny boots. My wife's have a full winter on them and mine I only wore a few days last winter. Both were in littdrly brand spankin new condition when I bought them from " The Bunny Boot Guy " here in Glennallen 3 years ago. I was talking with him this fall , he said he can no longer get size 10 Regular. In White. Tho as new condition black Bata are available. Napa had some bunny boots that had problems. The soles would turn ridged and slick as snot. I wore the pair I got maybe 20 times and the sole litterly broke in half across the ball of the foot. Junk !!
The Miner brand are pretty good. Almost as good as Bata , but not as tough or long lasting. So, Im hoping the Acton brand is a viable alternative.
I have a new pair of Baffin North Slope's but really dont like them compared to white Bata's.
Any insight will be appreciated. I like to have at least 1pair of new boots on hand before our current ones need replaced. I wipe them down with Armour All then store them in uv pfoof totes during the off season.
Glen

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i found online in alaska bata in 10 ...

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll go check. I did find some older ones in Delta . But none in new condition.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I must have dyslexia, its spelled Acton.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Coleman's Surplus in PA. , that's where I got ours.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you ! I checked out their site. I think I'll have to try a pair of the Acton bunny boots. This week would have been a good time to try them as its been chilly currently 35 below at the cabin and hasn't been above 0 for over 2 weeks. Which isn't really cold. But for some reason this year the cold is bugging me. Maybe because my wood shed never got filled this summer/fall.
It would be nice if they are as good as the white Bata bunny boots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lucked out and got 2 new pair of Bata bunny boots. White for myself and black ones for my wife. Mine were made in 1972 and my wife's 1992 . Both were brand new tho . Mine had a bit of uv deteriation on one top but not bad at all. Just a small amount of cracking. Her's are as nice and shiny as if they were made last week. The BUNNY BOOT Guy from Wasilla made an unscheduled trip out to Glennallen for a day with a truck load of bunny boots. Mine were $89.00 hers were $79.00 . Given how long a pair of Bata bunny boots last and how well they work . Thats the best value in cold weather boots there is.
His # is
907-232-1893

The Acton bunny boots apparently get very slick in the cold. Sole gets very stiff in the cold.
I am not sure who came up with the idea to make the modern soles on arctic grade boots, but it is the wrong idea. The modern Baffin boots, tho they are advertised as having great traction. Actually do not. The sole gets as stiff as a plank and the deep lugs in the sole chew out the snow underfoot. Bata and Miner brand bunny boots have a shallow tread as do the old Air Force canvas upper Mukluks. They all provide good traction . They don't tear out the snow underfoot . What that translates to is it takes alot more effort to walk in the modern boots and you end up falling down much more often. Like 10 times more often .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lucked out and got 2 new pair of Bata bunny boots. White for myself and black ones for my wife. Mine were made in 1972 and my wife's 1992 . Both were brand new tho . Mine had a bit of uv deteriation on one top but not bad at all. Just a small amount of cracking. Her's are as nice and shiny as if they were made last week. The BUNNY BOOT Guy from Wasilla made an unscheduled trip out to Glennallen for a day with a truck load of bunny boots. Mine were $89.00 hers were $79.00 . Given how long a pair of Bata bunny boots last and how well they work . Thats the best value in cold weather boots there is.
His # is
907-232-1893

The Acton bunny boots apparently get very slick in the cold. Sole gets very stiff in the cold.
I am not sure who came up with the idea to make the modern soles on arctic grade boots, but it is the wrong idea. The modern Baffin boots, tho they are advertised as having great traction. Actually do not. The sole gets as stiff as a plank and the deep lugs in the sole chew out the snow underfoot. Bata and Miner brand bunny boots have a shallow tread as do the old Air Force canvas upper Mukluks. They all provide good traction . They don't tear out the snow underfoot . What that translates to is it takes alot more effort to walk in the modern boots and you end up falling down much more often. Like 10 times more often .

one of us
posted Hide Post
This winter in Idaho has been a bad one, lots of snow and lots of ice,,nothing works on Ice except steel cleats, but what ever you do don't forget and walk in the house on mama new carpet!! shame

Don't ask how I know! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, don't wear your corks on the linoleum : BOOM
N.E.O.S. would work good down there . They have steel ice studs . Some insulation . And are easy to put on and take off over normal boots and shoes . Like thinsulate hunting boots. They come up to the calf . Lots of guys on The Slope wear them or keep them with them when out and about. Neos stands for New England OverShoes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...ew_div_1484968787357

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone down here wear "Muck Boots" Get them at ranchwear stores, maybe Cabellas, I order mine from National Ropers Supply in Texas. They are warm, waterproof and fit in a stirrup..about 15 or 16 inches high I think..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a pair of Boggs last year . Steel toe for work. They are just neoprean insulated. They work ok down to maybe 15 above or maybe a bit colder if a guy tends to gave warm feet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how did you survive this winter so far?

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bata bunny boots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks I was wondering how they would work in extreme cold over a period of time..Most around Idaho just use them to rope, feed, and so far the work down to about 10 below with heavy socks. Ive never seen or heard of Bunny boots..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boggs does make a model they call the Arctic. It's supposedly rated to 40 below. They are non safety toe. Plenty of folks around here wear them until it gets real cold. Then they usually put on the bunny boots.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive never seen or heard of Bunny boots..

Ray, bunny boots are the large white or black rubber cold weather military boots. I wear mine everydayfor outdoor use. They are the only thing that will reliably keep my feet warm and dry! Here is a picture.......
http://www.militaryclothing.co...w_wcB&ad=76800669869

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. The black ones are good down to 20 below. White ones, well, I've wore them in colder than 100 below wind chill and my feet didn't get cold. Working in 40-50 below, no problem. As long as the rest of your body is protected properly .