Find
Notify
Tools

Dillingham in Season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
The leaves are starting to color a little here in DLG, its the end of my fishing season and the hunting season is on. True, theres still plenty of fishing to be done and fish to be caught but well,.......Babe does have her priorities.

A friend came up for a week and we were able to chase a variety of fins. Grayling, the above rainbow as well as quite a few others, char, some dog salmon and kings were on the list.

The last couple of summers have been fairly hot and dry. I'm under the impression that this year the water was warmer and it drove the kings down deeper in the river. Especially this year I used a sonar/ depth finder/ gps unit mounted in the boat to find the exact bottom of the river channel and that seemed to be the best place to get into fish. Sometimes it seemed like if we were out 5' in any direction there'd be nothing, if we were just right, "Fish On"

Two more showed up here and everything seemed to go just right! The weather mostly cooperated and the fishing was pretty good.

I asked him, "Hey,.....uh,.... I gotta ask, can you use a casting rod, as in can you really? Cuz everyone I either ask or hand one to hands it back to me in short order really back lashed good!" He assured me he could and he did.

The silvers have been great as usual and everyone's been getting into lots of fish.

All things end,....all seasons change, and now its Babes turn.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great life there!!! I am available for adoption. Can do dishes, laundry, windows.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Life in the "bush" is not for everyone and that's why the population in places like Dillingham increases very little but if hunting and fishing are a priority it can be close to Paradise. I don't regret a minute of my 22 years out there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I fly in Saturday!

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Life in the "bush" is not for everyone and that's why the population in places like Dillingham increases very little but if hunting and fishing are a priority it can be close to Paradise. I don't regret a minute of my 22 years out there.

Mark

Are you going to be there for the First Tourist's arrival tomorrow? He had some beautiful weather in Anchorage/Seward today.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I moved out of Dillingham in '04 but I am SO-O-O-O-O-O-O very sorry I will not be in Dillingham for the arrival of the head of the regime.

I hope the locals feed him some fermented beaver tail and stinky heads. I'm sure he'd love it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hughiam:
I fly in Saturday!

Hey I got to see a little of the show!

The Obama jet flew over my jobsite just before lunch, and then just at lunch a Blackhawk helo flew slowly over the jobsite and nearby beach for a couple of passes. I thought it'd be funny to wave and point my finger at a coworker as the helo looked at us, as if I was pointing out a hazard and did so, but then on second thought figgered they'd shoot me first so I went back to driving nails and kept my head down 'til they were past us. So far so good, The front doors not been knocked flat yet and I'm in my boxers drinking beer and tapping on the computer as opposed to flat in the driveway in my boxers, hands cuffed behind me with rain pattering down on my butt.

Hugh, you say you head in on Saturday, whats your plan?

Posts: 9075 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I fly in on Saturday AM then fly out again in a couple hours on Tikchik for Mystery Mega Moose Mountain. Ill be back on the 17th I think and overnight at a B&B

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Dave,

I moved out of Dillingham in '04 but I am SO-O-O-O-O-O-O very sorry I will not be in Dillingham for the arrival of the head of the regime.

I hope the locals feed him some fermented beaver tail and stinky heads. I'm sure he'd love it.

Mark

+1

Joyce and I spent an afternoon with Christine DeCourtney sharing memories and stories.

Special time and place if you have the right frame of mind.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7592 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Renee and I had the time of our lives fishing the Nushagak with you Scott. I thought I might add this photo as it really shows the colors of the fish well.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Scott,
You moose unting this year? If so, lets see some pics when you get back. Good luck.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Jason, if that was my picture, I'd frame and 8x10 and hang it proudly in my office! Fantastic!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Jason, if that was my picture, I'd frame and 8x10 and hang it proudly in my office! Fantastic!

Hey thanks! I fully intend to place it on my desk at school.

My 5th graders love anything that expands their horizons. I have an ostrich egg on my desk and it really blows their minds. I think the egg impressed them more than the elephant tusk I brought in last year.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Renee and I had the time of our lives fishing the Nushagak with you Scott. I thought I might add this photo as it really shows the colors of the fish well.

Beautiful picture, thanks for sharing. Just finished off a pack of last year's smoked sockeye. Candy. Best fish in the world.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, those are some gorgeous fish. The smile on that young lady's face just tops it all off.
How big was yours, Jason?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Wow, those are some gorgeous fish. The smile on that young lady's face just tops it all off.

Renee thought that she had the time of her life. Scott is a wonderful host and he is the most patient person I know when it comes to playing along with a six-year-old who has a supercharged imagination.

We did not weigh any of the fish but I believe they were small by king salmon standards. As a guy who thinks an 18" rainbow is something to brag about, the kings we caught were AMAZING! It was life changing(seriously).

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jason: Totally get Alaska as a life-changer. It has been about 20 years now since I was up on a Stikine tributary near Wrangell, with salmon literally swimming between my legs. Can't wait to return some day.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Renee thought that she had the time of her life. Scott is a wonderful host and he is the most patient person I know when it comes to playing along with a six-year-old who has a supercharged imagination.

We did not weigh any of the fish but I believe they were small by king salmon standards. As a guy who thinks an 18" rainbow is something to brag about, the kings we caught were AMAZING! It was life changing(seriously).

I'm thinking we caught nothing larger than 25#'s. I'd prefer to catch some in the 28-30# range, a few in the 30-35# range and one or two 40#'ers. Buckled rods look neat and big fillets even neater.

The little ones are usually my favorites to have around. Its like having Babe except for when they're crying you can usually auger out of them what the sniveling is about. Babe not so much.