THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Frogg Togg v. Helly Hansen for lightweight raingear?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frogg Togg v. Helly Hansen for lightweight raingear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Local store has both Helly Hansen PVC type raingear and Frogg Toggs suits on sale (Steelhead time here in Oregon), which would work better for wearing over wool jackets and pants?

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
THe HH is the best rain gear going but you'll sweat like a hog wearing wool clothes. I've handled the Frogg Toggs, they are very light and supposedly work good but they are noisey and they look like they could tear easily. Not sure what your intentions are as far as hunting goes, that would be a deciding factor for me. Dry early season sheep hunting I would probably use the Frogg Toggs but any other time I would wear the Impertech.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought HH Impertech rain gear when I hunted costal AK. It held up very well and was very light weight, and I didn't sweat too bad wearing over wool sweater and pants. I like the Impertech because it stretches a little as well.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Uh...this is a "No Brainer", If your steelhead fishing, the Simms Guide Jacket. If your hunting big Game in Alaska, Helly Hansen!nuff said.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I wear Simms when fishing but when hunting find I prefer the Frogg Toggs.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
My neighbor on Afognak tore up a pair of FroggTogg bibs in one hunt in the grown over clearcuts. Granted, the cuts are choked with brambles but the Toggs didn't put up much of a show. For a backup or on open tundra they might be fine.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote