THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Up date report of the Coltharp attack

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Up date report of the Coltharp attack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Full report at link

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2...ith-saving-his-life/

“I remember looking over my shoulder, and I was saying something to them when I kind of heard the bushes crashing, and that’s when I looked up and looked over toward [where] the sound was coming from,” he said. “I couldn’t even really see it all at first because the brush was pretty thick, but about 20 feet away … this bear comes charging out of the brush at full speed.”

Coltharp grabbed his gun from a sling on his back and tried to load the chamber, but the bear was faster than he was. So he jumped to the side to get his upper body and head out of the way in the hopes that Walloch, who was also armed, could get in a shot.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have defecated my trousers!

They handled it as well as could be expected and it had a good outcome.

Thanks for sharing.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good friends are a treasure.

Especially those who can shoot!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Agree! The trick is to shoot the bear without shooting through him into your friend. Bad things happen when an already expanded bullet hits you.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4728 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Agree! The trick is to shoot the bear without shooting through him into your friend. Bad things happen when an already expanded bullet hits you.

Does anyone know Craig Sharp.....??? or his father, who was the manager of the Sears Mall, in Anchorage...???

Craig was stationed at the Coast Guard base on Kodiak, he and a friend were hunting Karluk Lake, and Craig shot a very-very nice Brown Bear (that was and may still be in the Sears Mall) so Craig goes in the finish off the bear, the bear get on him, his hunting partner, shoots to stop the bear from mauling Craig Sharp. One of the bullets goes through the bear and hits Craig in the lower leg. The last time I visited with Craig, he had, had 26 operations on that leg. He owned a "Gun Store" in Buzzard Gulch, Alaska (also known as Eagle River) back in the mid 80's. Great guy, he had just married, Miss Alaska.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decades back I investigated a shooting where a three natives were out poaching.

They were out riding around in a mustang.

They saw a nice buck standing in the middle of the road.

The guy in the back seat goes to load the Winchester 94.

AS he is levering in a round it goes off driving the 170gr sp into the front passengers leg. Just below the knee the bullet enter one of the bones traveled down the center of it.

Coming out the bottom of the foot.

As far as I know he is still walking with a limp.

Yes alcohol was involved.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
his hunting partner, shoots to stop the bear from mauling Craig Sharp.

Was a 358 win used.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
his hunting partner, shoots to stop the bear from mauling Craig Sharp.

Was a 358 win used.?

"NO" .340 Wby. Magnum

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought some time in the past I read about a similar case where a 358 win was used.