THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    which 200 gr 30 cal bullet for big bear

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which 200 gr 30 cal bullet for big bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Plenty of choices of 200 gr 30 cal bullets. I can get my 200's to go 2600 to 2900 fps.

Any one shot a big bear with the Nosler 200 Accubond? How did it perform?

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Plenty of choices of 200 gr 30 cal bullets. I can get my 200's to go 2600 to 2900 fps.

Any one shot a big bear with the Nosler 200 Accubond? How did it perform?

If I had to use a .30 cal I would use the 200g Partition Wink

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that Mike is going out of business, but if you can find any of his 200 grain North Fork bullets, that is what I'd use. Matter of fact, that is what I have loaded up for my 300 H&H right now.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
partitions always worked for me, but i always used a 375. in a 30 i believe that i'd use a frames. the partition fronts will fall apart if you hit a leading shoulder (the back will penetrate) the the a frame front is bonded

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our Guide for our 08 Moose/Bear hunt recommended 200 grain Swift A-frames. he has seen bad results with partitions in 200 grain 30 calibers like 300 WM.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the nosler partition. You would also do fine with The Northfork or the Swift A Frame.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have killed nearly a dozen big bears with the 200 grain partition @ 2700 fps in my 30-06. I can verify that it works well.
I imagine the North Fork. TSX and Swift will do as well.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my 91/2 ft Brown Bear at Cold Bay with a 200 grain Nosler Partition at 2900 fps from my .300 Winny. It performed perfectly and gave me no room for complaint what so ever. Today I would use North Fork (I have some left), Partition or Swift A-Frame in that order. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I have killed nearly a dozen big bears with the 200 grain partition @ 2700 fps in my 30-06. I can verify that it works well.

What sort of load recipe are you using to get 2700 fps? A range would be fine.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot about everything from Duiker to Eland, Moose, bear with the 200 gr. Nosler and I never had a failure..I use in my 06 and my 300 H&H and have for 30 plus years. Anyone tells me it won't work is passing gas IMO.. bsflag

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just used a 200 grain Nosler Partition at 2800fps (from a 300WSM) in Africa. Penetration with this bullet is oustanding....I shot an Eland at 150 yards as it was going away (follow-up shot) and it penetrated the length of the body and exited underneath the bulls chin.

If you put the bullet in the right spot you won't have any problems. Having said all that........a 308 caliber would not be my first choice for bear hunting. I would prefer a .338 or .375H&H

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redlander:
quote:

What sort of load recipe are you using to get 2700 fps? A range would be fine.
.............Or how long a barrel ... A friend of mine has a Sako Finnbear that he gets 2600 fps , w/200 gr X bullets ........That load is too hot for his other 06s ..........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
partitions always worked for me, but i always used a 375. in a 30 i believe that i'd use a frames. the partition fronts will fall apart if you hit a leading shoulder (the back will penetrate) the the a frame front is bonded

Butchloc is absolutely right.

Some people think that the front coming apart is a bullet failure when in fact that is exactly what John Nosler engineered the bullet to do.

Im sure most bullet makers have a acceptable bullet for bear.

I would stay away from Accubonds, Sciroccos etc. for anything with big teeth and claws.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Nosler Partition....I've been shooting them for over 40 years and never a bullet failure.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KC Carlin:
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
partitions always worked for me, but i always used a 375. In a 30 I'd use a frames. the partition fronts will fall apart if you hit a leading shoulder (the back will penetrate) the the a frame front is bonded

Butchloc is absolutely right.

Some people think that the front coming apart is a bullet failure when in fact that is exactly what John Nosler engineered the bullet to do.

Im sure most bullet makers have a acceptable bullet for bear.

I would stay away from Accubonds, Sciroccos etc. for anything with big teeth and claws.
.............................One poster on this forum used the 260 gr Accubonds in his 375 Ruger this past fall on brown bear and they worked great ....................A friend of mine killed a moose with the 180 gr Remington Safari 30/06 ammo loaded with the Sciroccos and both bullets exited and left a fairly large wound in their wake ...............If I had to shoot a brown bear with a p stir s 06 ,,,I would try to use a monometal expanding or solid shank expanding bullet ...........And plan on laying down quite a field of fire troll

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I have heard great things about Accubonds.
So much that I switched from Partitions that I used exclusively for the last 10 years.

I had two 160gr Accubonds out of my 7mmRSAUM completely BLOW UP on the shoulder of a large mule deer last year.
I have used this same rifle with 160 gr Partitions to take 3 other mulies and a bighorn sheep. All bullets exited.

I live in the town where Nosler's are made, and brought my photos and remaining Accubonds to show them my results.
They were very interested, and exchanged my 3 boxes of Accubonds for Partitions.

Go ahead and use them if you want, but if they can't slam through the shoulder of a mule deer I don't want to try them on a bear.

I stand by my earlier post.

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
This is simple:

1) Aframe
2) TSX
3) Partition

In that order.

The fact is, if a partition works great, the Aframe will work even better. It's nothing more than a partition but with a bonded front core. The TSX is the middle child.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My favorite load for the 30-06 with 200 Partitions is 59gr of MRP and it gives me a bit over 2700fps from a 22 inch barrel.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old batch of surplus 4831, the stuff O'Conner hawked..I get 2700 plus with any 200 gr. bullet real easy in a 22 inch barrel, 06 with a cupfull of this stuff..Todays 4831 won't get this done nearly as well...however several powders come to mind that will come close, and may get er done. They are IMR-4831, RL-19, Rl-15, H414 and certainly MRP if you can find it...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite load for the 30-06 with 200 Partitions is 59gr of MRP and it gives me a bit over 2700fps from a 22 inch barrel.

I've been using 58 gr. of RL22 under 200 Partitions and getting in the high 2600s without giving anything a hernia.
It's a good load, but like any load, it isn't worth a damn unless you put the bullet in the right place. Biggest bear I ever saw was killed with a single round of .22 WMR, and the most chewed up hunter I ever saw had just finished putting 7 rounds of .30-30 into a 400 pound bear. (He survived, but he wasn't any smarter.)

Posts: 5736 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
For the most penetration with a 220 a-frame in a 30/06 i would load at 2400-2500fps pushing above these velocitys will actually give you less penetration

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KC Carlin
I have used this same rifle with 160 gr Partitions to take 3 other mulies and a bighorn sheep. All bullets exited.

I live in the town where Nosler's are made, and brought my photos and remaining Accubonds to show them my results.
They were very interested, and exchanged my 3 boxes of Accubonds for Partitions.

Go ahead and use them if you want, but if they can't slam through the shoulder of a mule deer I don't want to try them on a bear.

I stand by my earlier post.

KC
..................I was gonna ,, but I won,t ................ troll

one of us
posted Hide Post
No don't Gumbooty,
Your killing them with a pistol on another thread, you keep me in a state of total confusion my good man! nilly

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
[quote
No don't Gumbooty,
Your killing them with a pistol on another thread, you keep me in a state of total confusion my good man![/quote]

Ray - don't worry, it is not you that is confused fishing

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
No don't Gumbooty,
Your killing them with a pistol on another thread, you keep me in a state of total confusion my good man! nilly
.....................Not that I haven,t ,,,but where do I recommend doing so ......Besides from the experience of a friend of mine this fall I would prefer a 500 S&W to a pos 06 .... stir

one of us
posted Hide Post
PARTITIONS you don't need anything more bears are not a thick skinned animal.

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think its good advise to suggest that if one is using the 200 or 220 gr. Nosler Partitions or the good Woodleighs that you should keep the velocity around 2700 to 2800 FPS, they tend to blow the front end off at the 3000 FPS plus from time to time, not that its all that bad, but I believe that I like everything to stay together on big stuff, just an opine.

Most bullet failures that I have seen and yes with monolithic also have been from too much velocity...again just my opine.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I'm settling on the 200 Partition pushed by 68.4 gr of H1000 in a Win case and Fed 210M primers. Rifle is a Rem 700 in 30-06 Ackley Imp w/ a 26" ss Lilja barrel. They're running 2853 fps, about 23 ES and 8 SD. Accuracy is sub MOA @ 300 yds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that combo should do the job....now, you have to do yours.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have narrowed my choice for this spring's brown bear season down to two bullets. The 220 Partition or the 240 Woodleigh and I'll run some penetration tests before I decide. I am guessing the Partitions will give much better penetration.
i might even throw in some TSX bullets to make it interesting.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Am truly looking forward to your report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
458, two fine choices there. I too am interested in reading your test results. Thanks.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
phil/458
just today i sent of some loaded 06 cases to be pressure tested 220 nosler part and 240 woodleigh s , i had them loaded with MRP and
R 22 , so will drop you a line with the results, but from preliminary testing it looks as if the 220 nosler you can push to about 2550 with the two above mentioned powders and the 240 woodleigh to an honest 2400 , and the pressur is a touch over 60,000 psi
also sent some 180 e tips loaded with 60 gn of R 22 to get a feel of the pressure they run on compared to the tsx
Daniel

Posts: 1476 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Daniel, I certainly am anxious to hear your results. Thanks

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

posted Hide Post
apperantly you have not seen a grizly before. it is more than likely that you are going to see him closer that 50 yards. phil shoemaker says that he uses a 458 win mag with 400 grain x bullets for these close encounters. so what the hell makes you think that a 06 is going to be everything you need.if you have a death wish, then by all means you should use a 30-06. 36 years in the yukon tells me different. phil shoemaker says different.can you not understand the written word. this aint the lower 48. the old saying is "use enough gun", you will live longer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jessi:
apperantly you have not seen a grizly before. it is more than likely that you are going to see him closer that 50 yards. phil shoemaker says that he uses a 458 win mag with 400 grain x bullets for these close encounters. so what the hell makes you think that a 06 is going to be everything you need.if you have a death wish, then by all means you should use a 30-06. 36 years in the yukon tells me different. phil shoemaker says different.can you not understand the written word. this aint the lower 48. the old saying is "use enough gun", you will live longer.

I think Mr. Shoemaker would say that it is far better to hit a big bear in a vital area with a 30-06 than to hit a big bear with a .458 in a nonvital area. The key thing to killing anything that lives is to do something that stops oxygen from getting to the heart and the brain. If that means hitting the heart or the brain, fine. If that means cutting a major blood vessel so blood volume goes way down, fine. But I am betting Mr. Shoemaker would agree that if you miss something vital with a .458 that bear isn't going to die much faster than if you miss something vital with a 30-06.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Which 200 gr 30 caliber bullet for big bears?

The best I can think of is a 300 gr Nosler Partition, or Swift A-frame out of a 375 H&H CRF rifle!

jumping jumping jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote