THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    I drew DX003 Nunivak Island Muskox! Which transporter?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I drew DX003 Nunivak Island Muskox! Which transporter?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
After 10+ years of applying, I got lucky and drew with a buddy. There are 4 transporters that operate on the Island.

Would you please PM me any strong recommendation?

We are looking for a 7 day trip. We want to go out for more than the typical 1-day hunt in a 4-5 day window. We want to look at multiple herds and shoot large old bulls, squeeze in fox hunting and maybe 1 day of ice fishing. We want to be the only 2 at our accomodations so we don't feel pressured to make it happen on the first good weather day so the other group can go next.

Any other tips or things to keep in mind are welcome?

AK, here we come.

Thank you!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I did this hunt in 2018. Here's my experience written as a sort of guide for anyone who draws:

https://forums.outdoorsdirecto...kox-hunt-report-2018

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yukoncat
posted Hide Post
It's been 15 years since I hunted Nunivak, but at the time i used Abe David. No complaints

Posts: 67 | Location: TAZLINA, AK | Registered: 20 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Ishmil Smith. He came recommended and he gave me exactly what I was looking for. Ishmil and his wife came by the house and visited once when they were in Fairbanks. Just really good people.

Ishmil and his wife hosted my hunting buddy and myself. They were very accommodating.

You definitely need 2 to work on the musk ox. Transporters cannot help at all and it will be windy and cold. You need to get it skinned and cut up fairly quickly, before it freezes.

I felt sorry for Ishmil and his wife, they had to hide behind the snowmachine and try to stay warm (nothing out there for a fire). My buddy and I work working hard enough we were down to sweatshirts.

You might need to pay someone that has a warm shop that you can put the musk ox hide in to thaw, then also find someone to help cape it's head. If you've never done it, there is a real trick to it and pretty difficult. Other option is to bring it home with the head in the hide and find a taxidermist that can cape it.

Again transporters are license to transport only. They cannot help you the way a guide can. They will get you out to where the herds are but they cannot guide you or tell you what to do. You guys are the hunters and will do the hunting.

Congratulation on the draw. I finally gave up on drawing and bought the Governors tag. It was really worth it though. Its a true experience not many will ever get. Brett will certainly back me up on that.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
I did this hunt in 2018. Here's my experience written as a sort of guide for anyone who draws:

Hey Bret,
How were the accommodations at James house? I’m assuming basic but you had a bed and some type of common area to visit in? And did James have a shed/garage to finish boning out the meat and fleshing the cape?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 47 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 17 June 2013Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on that question.

Thank you all. I feel truly blessed and fortunate to have drawn this tag after 10+ years.

Love hearing your feedback and comments.

Thank you again!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buzz4me2:
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:

Hey Bret,
How were the accommodations at James house? I’m assuming basic but you had a bed and some type of common area to visit in? And did James have a shed/garage to finish boning out the meat and fleshing the cape?

Thanks

Basic, but 100% fine. I had my own room. There were common areas to sit in the living room/dining room. Honeypot in the bathroom. He had a nice sized arctic entry for processing the muskox and fox. Nice man and his guides were great.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Hunter:
It was really worth it though. Its a true experience not many will ever get. Brett will certainly back me up on that.

Completely agreed. It's not the hardest hunt physically with regard to the animal itself, but it is an unbelievable adventure. The animals are special and truly prehistoric. The place is unique, an arctic desert island in the Bering Sea. The weather can be physically demanding. And the people were very friendly! I took a rifle because my wife was due fairly soon after my hunt and I didn't want to take a chance on having the hunt drag out. That said, I would take a bow if I ever did it again. I certainly could have killed my bull with a bow if I had. In retrospect I wish I would have spent a few more days there enjoying the village and meeting people.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson