THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Life Below Zero, so long. It's been fun
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life Below Zero, so long. It's been fun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Subsistence hunting is open to all rural residents of Alaska regardless of race/color/religion. The only people excluded from subsistence hunting are those who live in the Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau metropolitan areas.

And the Kenai.

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
When I lived there my traditional food was wild game, still is today same as my father's was his father's before him, etc. etc. But I had to follow game laws. Not so with the dopers, boozer I worked with of native blood who aborted up their pay checks then fell back on traditional family lifestyle to kill game year round just because they could. Fed it to their dogs ( pregnant cow bou) cause it was cheaper than buying dog food.

Now you are talking about breaking game laws. I agree that everyone should be expected to follow game laws regardless of their background(especially the more generous subsistence regulations). These laws apply to everyone. Anyone can break these laws, it is up to law enforcement to enforce them.

The thing I took issue with was your initial assertion that subsistence hunting should be limited to methods of that that approximate the way things were done about a century ago. This is an argument that I find arbitrary and pointless. Why force anyone to turn back the clock 100 years? What purpose does it serve? And why not roll the clock back 200 years and require them to use flint spear points?

Honestly your original argument reminds me of anti-hunters saying that hunters are cheating because we use “hi powered rifles with scopes” and that if we want to hunt we should not be allowed to utilize such technologies and should be limited to spears. When it comes down to it it’s not our method of take they dislike, it’s the fact that we are allowed to hunt and that they can’t control us.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Jason,

Everything you said is fine in theory. What turns people off is the enormous waist of wildlife that is associated with the reality of "subsistence" hunting and fishing. When you go to the dump in the spring and see hundreds of pounds of wrapped meat and fish piled up and rotting to make room for the new years "harvest" it makes you a little nauseated. I could come up with a boatload of other examples that I witnessed in my 22 years in the bush.

Mark

I agree with you. I heard some or those stories when I spent time in your old stomping grounds. I do hate hearing these stories and I would like to see those guilty of waste being punished.

I can only attest to the village that I lived in and from what I saw there was very little waste. For the most part these people policed themselves and there was a huge stigma against waste. If a bad seed was caught wasting game they were simply told by the elders “you can’t hunt”. I only know of one person this happened to and his right to hunt had been taken away long before I moved there and he was never given back the right to hunt.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
After I finished watching Life Below Zero, I watched the series, NORSEMEN; on Netflix. It's only 3 seasons and I didn't like the way it ended, but you will see.
I highly recommend it.
Totally historic and accurate depiction of the way the Vikings livcd.

Totally, just like Life Below Zero in Alaska. Without politics.

'Life Below Zero' was great show! That Glenn Villenevue is a real bear & moose killer.

Better still are the episodes of 'Buying Alaska.' ... Real Alaskans 'seeking to get a small stake of the Alaskan experience.'

rotflmo Gotta love that hook line!

Last show I saw (a re-run) featured a pretty black-haired gal who turned out to be the former Miss Alaska and her husband. He's in the Mil service and stationed up there.

Still, the best series was always 'The Last Alaskans.' Bob Harte (R.I.P.) really made that series shine.

Unlike some of the bush-people wannabes living in Wasilla. Roll Eyes

now I understand where you get all your "knowledge" and "expertise " about how things should be in Alaska

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Last Alaskans, Old whats her name that has the airport, can be a pain, but she must be one tough cookie to live the life she lives, just that some of her shooting scenes tend to be staged, but maybe not..I like Elmo te old man married to the Indiam lady, and the Hailstones, they seem to be real...

So many of these shows tend to over play the dangers of the wild, how the hell can you starve or fall and survive? You have a camera crew and a helicopter etc behind the scenes..Like the Sat morning hunting shows, the kill the animal, then film the hunt..Its just entertainment I suppose..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I like the Last Alaskans, Old whats her name that has the airport, can be a pain, but she must be one tough cookie to live the life she lives, just that some of her shooting scenes tend to be staged, but maybe not..I like Elmo te old man married to the Indiam lady, and the Hailstones, they seem to be real...

So many of these shows tend to over play the dangers of the wild, how the hell can you starve or fall and survive? You have a camera crew and a helicopter etc behind the scenes..Like the Sat morning hunting shows, the kill the animal, then film the hunt..Its just entertainment I suppose..

It is a shame The Last Alaskans was not renewed.

Sue is tough no doubt. What gets me is how she know how to fix everything.

I got to talk to her for 15-20 minutes on my last sheep hunt up that way. She is definitely interesting .

betta fish laying on bottom

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ray, I am friends with Heimo, Marty, Horstman ,Morgan aand Erik and while they are all real, what you see on TV is no more real than professional wrestling

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Ray, I am friends with Heimo, Marty, Horstman ,Morgan aand Erik and while they are all real, what you see on TV is no more real than professional wrestling

Wait. What? Phil, are you implying Pro Raslin ain't for real?

Eeker

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Well, compared to Alaska reality TV it is

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's funny!!!

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Phil, wait till you see the terrain & bay footage in Disney's new movie Togo.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Jim, that makes another reason we never bothered to own a TV. The few episodes we have seen were when visiting friends

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
WEll Phil, I suspect if a reality show was real it would bore you to death!! bottom line I enjoyed the show, in fact its the only one I liked or watched, I mean they are shooting old beat up rifles and misses are common, but they survive and lead a good life..I take everything on TV with a grain of salt even the politics of our government, a cartoon within itself..

Our sat morning hunting shows?? not that's a different ball of wax, they sit in a blind with the latest high dollar junk gun with a 6x20 power scope with gadgets galore, wait for a perfect broadside then load the gun, mess with the power, mess with the safety then shot and shoot the animal at 50 to 100 yards off a high dollar rest. A shot that could be made with pappys 22 L.R....oh yeah and on a high fenced Texas ranch that's overloaded with bred deer, that support only horns that come about thru management, and protein..now that's reality!! rotflmo

God bless Heimo and I hope hes making a financial killing on the show...

Chit going to prison, I thought that was real, most would not have shown that..his wife makes some awesome caribou shots with that Russian milsurp rifle don't you think? rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I have seen Chips wife make some absolutely terrible shots that no ethical hunter should take.
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
WEll Phil, I suspect if a reality show was real it would bore you to death!! bottom line I enjoyed the show, in fact its the only one I liked or watched, I mean they are shooting old beat up rifles and misses are common, but they survive and lead a good life..I take everything on TV with a grain of salt even the politics of our government, a cartoon within itself..

Our sat morning hunting shows?? not that's a different ball of wax, they sit in a blind with the latest high dollar junk gun with a 6x20 power scope with gadgets galore, wait for a perfect broadside then load the gun, mess with the power, mess with the safety then shot and shoot the animal at 50 to 100 yards off a high dollar rest. A shot that could be made with pappys 22 L.R....oh yeah and on a high fenced Texas ranch that's overloaded with bred deer, that support only horns that come about thru management, and protein..now that's reality!! rotflmo

God bless Heimo and I hope hes making a financial killing on the show...

Chit going to prison, I thought that was real, most would not have shown that..his wife makes some awesome caribou shots with that Russian milsurp rifle don't you think? rotflmo

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2576 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote