Find
Notify
Tools

Polar bears
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
I know this is the Alaskan forum but since most of the bear discussion seems to be here thought I'd post this for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.foxnews.com/scienc...e-state-of-emergency

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chuck375:
I know this is the Alaskan forum but since most of the bear discussion seems to be here thought I'd post this for those who haven't seen it.

Sounds like Barrow or what ever they call it now? Utqiavik?? Always Bears in town. tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Serfs are easier to replace than bears. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
Sounds like Barrow or what ever they call it now? Utqiavik?? Always Bears in town. tu2

A couple of weeks ago a colleague of mine posted a photo of a trio of polar bears across the road from the college in Utqiagvik.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:

A couple of weeks ago a colleague of mine posted a photo of a trio of polar bears across the road from the college in Utqiagvik.

Polar bears?

Here's how Denmark's soldiers of the Sledge Patrol Sirius, who camp and patrol in the arctic circle region of Greenland, deal with the friskier P-bears: each man is issued an M1917 in 30-06, and a 10mm Glock 20. tu2

Helluva combo right there, ... and you don't need to be on the receiving end of a bitch-slap from Chuke to understand it. rotflmo

Enjoy:

https://laststandonzombieislan...glocks-of-greenland/

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If the 10mm is so great, then why are they issued 30-06 Enfields ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

Simple, Simon ... Roll Eyes

'Cause they aren't always carrying those M1917s around when their hands are busy doing other things. Whistling

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Simple Simon: the question asked by the experienced proven Alaska guide who has actually killed big bears wil a wide variety of weapons including a handgun, was the reverse of what you answered.
Sure sign of trolls who specialize in obfuscation.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It is hard to Argue the 10mm's Penetration and the Glocks Fire Power.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:

The difference in penetration between the 9mm and 10mm is only a few mm's

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

funny Phil. in Spitzberg they are issuing 30-06 stainless ruger rifle and no handguns for cruise ship crew going ashore.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Probably a wise choice. The caliber is adequate and shootable by most folks

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Actually that's not true, at least to anyone who's actually done extensive penetration testing.

As much as you may want to not watch them, YouTube does have vids demonstrating irrefutable evidence of just how far a 10mm projectile will penetrate, which also depends on bullet-weight.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually that's not true, at least to anyone who's actually done extensive penetration testing. As much as you may want to not watch them, YouTube does have vids demonstrating irrefutable evidence of just how far a 10mm projectile will penetrate, which also depends on bullet-weight.

Much more depends on bullet design then weight.

All most all FMJ or Lead solids give around 30 inches of penetration in ballistic gel.

Except for the smaller caliber slower rounds.

With standard bullet weight.

Then add a heavy for caliber bullet at the max velocity for that caliber can give you a bit more.

But 30 inches is most likely enough.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Adams:
quote:
quote:

Actually that's not true, at least to anyone who's actually done extensive penetration testing.

As much as you may want to not watch them, YouTube does have vids demonstrating irrefutable evidence of just how far a 10mm projectile will penetrate, which also depends on bullet-weight.

I also have over 50 years of irrefutable proof and have thoroughly tested most of the handgun and rifle calibers commonly used in Alaska.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quick google search for ballistic gell penetration tests 9MM vs 10MM yielded this

" It is quite possible for a strong round to travel through a body and then keep going through a wall. In ballistics gel tests a 9mm would typically travel about 13 inches after impact, while the 10mm was sometimes over 17 inches. This means that a 10mm could potentially travel through two people at center mass and still keep going. That is a huge amount of power. Of course, a lot of factors go into penetration and penetration is not the sole determinant of how effective a round is at disabling or deterring an aggressor."

13" for 9 MM sounds about right to me, apparently several more inches for 10MM.

The FBI who did help develop the 10MM (after the 1986 Miami shoot out) along with Col Jeff Cooper's input, the FBI sure did not keep the 10MM in service long, they dropped it like a hot potato.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The 10mm Auto had to much kick for The F.B.I. That is why The 40 Smith and Wesson was born. Two Different Cartridges all together!!!

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
A quick google search for ballistic gell penetration tests 9MM vs 10MM yielded this

" It is quite possible for a strong round to travel through a body and then keep going through a wall. In ballistics gel tests a 9mm would typically travel about 13 inches after impact, while the 10mm was sometimes over 17 inches. This means that a 10mm could potentially travel through two people at center mass and still keep going. That is a huge amount of power. Of course, a lot of factors go into penetration and penetration is not the sole determinant of how effective a round is at disabling or deterring an aggressor."

The FBI who did help develop the 10MM (after the 1986 Miami shoot out) along with Col Jeff Cooper's input, the FBI sure did not keep the 10MM in service long, they dropped it like a hot potato.

Tests like this are only meaningful if they are using the same ammo you intend to and expanding ammo for protection from human threats is entirely different than full metal jacket or hard cast bullets designed for deep penetration.

My test utilized the latter as I was only interested in protection from bears.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will say it again it is more about bullet design then caliber.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Adams:
quote:
quote:

I would much rather bet my ass on the 30/06 than any pistol.
I would even correct that to read a 30/30 over ANY pistol.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would much rather bet my ass on the 30/06 than any pistol.I would even correct that to read a 30/30 over ANY pistol.

But rifles are not as handy to have with you all the time.

Plus handguns have very good record of stopping bears in self-defense situations.

One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I would much rather bet my ass on the 30/06 than any pistol.I would even correct that to read a 30/30 over ANY pistol.

But rifles are not as handy to have with you all the time.

Which was the point made earlier in this thread, but apparently those challenged with reading-comprehension issues missed it.

Nobody has a rifle in their hands all the time when they're outdoors; but they can have a pistol or revolver holstered on their hip or in a center chest rig.

quote:
Plus handguns have very good record of stopping bears in self-defense situations.

True.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting point about this is their government has asked the patrol several times if they wanted to change to a more modern rifle and cartridge but their answer has always been - no thanks.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote