New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Attack
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
No kidding; things could have been much worse.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Article said he left his gun in his vehicle.

A mistake.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
]Glad he made it[/url]

tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

A mistake.

In an interview he also stated he doubted he would have had time to use the gun because of the surprise nature of the encounter and the bears rapid response.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7592 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

A mistake.

In an interview he also stated he doubted he would have had time to use the gun because of the surprise nature of the encounter and the bears rapid response.

Sounds like he had time to me.

Aman suffered horrific head injuries including a crushed jaw and punctured scalp after being attacked by a brown bear while out surveying land in rural Alaska.

Allen Minish had been inputting data to his GPS during a real estate surveying trip near Gulkana, around 190 miles northeast of Anchorage, when he noticed the animal standing just 30 feet away.

The 61-year-old, from the village of Chitna, tried to hide behind spruce trees but the bear charged towards him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad he survived. While he said he wouldn't have had time to use his gun, he should have been carrying one anyway.

It's foolish to think you can spend time in the woods and not eventually run into trouble.It takes only seconds to pull a large revolver or pistol from a holster or unsling a rifle or shotgun. You can even do it while trying to hide behind spruce trees.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It takes only seconds to pull a large revolver or pistol from a holster or unsling a rifle or shotgun.

Or less on the average for a trained handgun user.

1.5 seconds to draw, shoot and hit on target at 7 yards.

About the same to unlimber a rifle or shotgun from ones shoulder.

Of course adding movement such as working the bolt, racking a shell into the chamber.

Add time.

The slowest times come when one has to do more than on task.
Such as drawing, unlimbering, taking the safety off, then having to work the action to put a cartridge into the chamber.

Those actions can easily push the time passed 5 seconds well pass 10 seconds if not practiced or something interferes.

The different of 3.5 seconds on the low end and 8.5 or more on the high end.

Could very well mean getting chomped or not.

The time to get hits on a target from either type of weapon.

When one has the weapon in hands is well under a second. Even down to under a half a second for a trained user.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Glad he made it

When I opened the link I got distracted for a moment as I though you were talking about the lady with a "bear" bottom on the boat dock Smiler It was a popup that appeared at the top of the page where several people are fishing, and a lady tanning on a dock.

Then I realized what the article was all about. Yes, we have had several cases of people being mauled by beards while staking land parcels. It happens now and then. More than likely the guy could not have been able to use a gun since he was concentrating on the task at hand. Walking in the brush is not easy in Alaska because one has to keep an eye on the brush to avoid falling.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walking in the brush is not easy in Alaska because one has to keep an eye on the brush to avoid falling.

As in many places.

Alaska doesn't have a monopoly on thick brush.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Walking in the brush is not easy in Alaska because one has to keep an eye on the brush to avoid falling.

As in many places.

We do seem to have a monopoly on Brown Bears & far more grizzly's than any where else.
Wisconsin seems to have a monopoly on dumb asses? tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
quote:

As in many places.

We do seem to have a monopoly on Brown Bears & far more grizzly's than any where else.
Wisconsin seems to have a monopoly on dumb asses? tu2

Well I thought brush was the problem.

As far the grizzly bears Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, BC, Yukon, have theirs also.

BC plus the Yukon have approximately the same number of grizzly bears per square mile as AK.

Depending on who doing the counting at the time they did it.

Not counting all the black bears spread over North America.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As in many places.

You are right about that. Another problem is that unless one is walking on a trail, there is a thick layer of vegetation such as moss and the rest to contend with. It feels like walking on an uneven and very thick sponge.

I remember one time during moose season that I fell down on my belly and chest on a thick layer of moss and other vegetation. What happened is that I stepped with my left boot on a small branch across my path, and when I moved my right boot to take the next step it got caught underneath of the branch. There was no way for me to avoid falling since I could not move my boot out of there, so I just raised my rifle over my head and landed flat on the moss. And yes, I was quite embarrassed, but luckily none of my friends saw me falling. Big Grin

If a bear or something else charges when one is in a wide and open area, maybe then one has a better chance to react. But in the brush-I imagine since i have never been charged by a bear-it should be quite difficult to see what's coming.

A gun, bear spray, or a stick...I don't think makes a difference sometimes. A predator relies on ambush and speed to catch its prey, and it sets the ambush in the place it is most familiar with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The quality of the place one walks is very variable.

From my house in less then a mile I can go from open field.

To semi open hard woods.

To a alder swamp so thick you can not see 10 feet and a miss step could have sinking in mud up over your head.

Reaction time to a stimulus is highly personal.

How one reacts to that stimulus depends on many factors.

Mind set, personal training and expectations are a few of the major ones.

Having trained thousands to handle deadly encounters.

Mind set is at the top of the list.

If one is not mentality prepared one lowers the chances of succeeding.

Believing that you will fail increases the chance of failure.

So lets take the bear in very thick brush.

You hear something a twig breaking.

1 do you brush it off(pun intended) Or do react in a positive manner.

2 you see the brush moving do you start getting your defensive item ready or do you tell your self it's nothing.

3 do you listen to your sixth sense or to you blow it off.

So many times I have heard from victims. I didn't think it could happen to me. They see or hear something but they fail to act.

But it did.

If one is mentality prepared and trained to act.

The time needed to do so is very short. Well less then 3 seconds. For the trained and mentally prepared under a second and half.

So if the hypothetical bear absolutely catches you with pants down. And you don't have 1.5 to 3 seconds.

Why wouldn't one still use their defensive weapons on such bear.

More then one person has been able to shoot, spray ect a bear off of themselves.

Giving up before the fight is on is a recipe for failure.

So if the person that got mauled had less then a 3 seconds to react.

One of his pistols might not have done him any good.

I have it from a very reliable source that he had a 40S@W and a 44 mag in his vehicle.

How have you thought about trained and prepared for.

Any situation that you are commonly in that could endanger you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The quality of the place one walks is very variable.

From my house in less then a mile I can go from open field.

To semi open hard woods.

To a alder swamp so thick you can not see 10 feet and a miss step could have sinking in mud up over your head.

Reaction time to a stimulus is highly personal.

How one reacts to that stimulus depends on many factors.

Mind set, personal training and expectations are a few of the major ones.

Having trained thousands to handle deadly encounters.

Mind set is at the top of the list.

If one is not mentality prepared one lowers the chances of succeeding.

Believing that you will fail increases the chance of failure.

So lets take the bear in very thick brush.

You hear something a twig breaking.

1 do you brush it off(pun intended) Or do react in a positive manner.

2 you see the brush moving do you start getting your defensive item ready or do you tell your self it's nothing.

3 do you listen to your sixth sense or to you blow it off.

So many times I have heard from victims. I didn't think it could happen to me. They see or hear something but they fail to act.

But it did.

If one is mentality prepared and trained to act.

The time needed to do so is very short. Well less then 3 seconds. For the trained and mentally prepared under a second and half.

So if the hypothetical bear absolutely catches you with pants down. And you don't have 1.5 to 3 seconds.

Why wouldn't one still use their defensive weapons on such bear.

More then one person has been able to shoot, spray ect a bear off of themselves.

Giving up before the fight is on is a recipe for failure.

So if the person that got mauled had less then a 3 seconds to react.

One of his pistols might not have done him any good.

I have it from a very reliable source that he had a 40S@W and a 44 mag in his vehicle.

How have you thought about trained and prepared for.

Any situation that you are commonly in that could endanger you.

But don't forget that as we get older our hearing declines, so it is possible that one won't hear anything. Another thing is that bears can get quite close without making a sound.

Moose can be very quiet sometimes. I have almost been stomped by a cow moose in the brush a few years ago. I was making bull calls while sitting under a camouflaged tarp, and the cow jumped away in surprise when realizing it was not a bull making calls (I guess). I only realized it was a moose when she stomped on the ground right close to the tarp Smiler

By the way, two black bears have already been killed in Anchorage as they rummaged for food. And just today I read on the news about a lady in Nikisky got stomped by a moose and had to be transported to a hospital in Anchorage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But don't forget that as we get older our hearing declines, so it is possible that one won't hear anything. Another thing is that bears can get quite close without making a sound.

There was a study some time back about who was mostly to get chomped.

Older males with hearing problems. While following a wounded bear.

When one studies attacks.

The myth of I had absolutely no time to react is just that.

The percent of having no time to react is very very small.

It is far more likely that. I saw a bear, I heard something, I saw fresh tracks.(like with water running into them)

I did not react to the warning signs.

I knew there was a bear around but I did not----- fill in the blank.

I did not think it was going to happen to me.

I did not have a defensive device.

My defensive device was not readily available.

It was not ready to use.

I was not prepare to use it.

I really did not want to shoot the bear.

I was told handguns don't work.

I became complacent and didn't think it would ever happen.

I would like to find true ambush attacks.

Where the person had absolutely no time.

Just because one isn't prepare, doesn't heed a warning, think it is not going to happen.

Left his defensive tools someplace. Didn't have them readily available. Didn't practice with them.

And all the other excuses, I heard from people for not reacting when faced with a situation.

Doesn't mean there was not enough time.

There is never enough time to defend ones self with a defensive tool if you do not have it.

If you don't have skills, the mental attitude do do so.

Maybe it is time to improve both.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
News report said a large brown bear also said it was 300 lbs. Isn't that like a 3 yr old bear, maybe 7 1/2 feet? Not saying that a 300 lb bear isn't dangerous.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote