Tools

Polar Bear In Fort Yukon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, kind of weird to have happened. won't surprise me if there is more than one within a couple hundred miles of the Ft. Yukon
Some have said they have spotted numerous Polar Bears wandering around further inland last fall due to the pack ice being so far out of reach with seals being there mainstay-guess it is lynx meat now preferred.

Suppose one of them helicopters and net type deals was to much to ask for. A controversy in its own right surely.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know exactly where it was shot. I used to cut firewood on that island. I used to work with the guy that shot the bear. Very unusual but a few years ago some kids went upriver and shot a muskox that we confiscated. That was weird too.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
They are starting to wander around here .had a sow and 3 cubs about a mile from work today .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am now at Cape Lisburne working. I haven't looked for myself, but was told that between here and Pt. Lay (where I've also worked) that all the largest pb's taken and recorded in the book are from this area. The USGS is working out of Pt. Hope and I've talked to them the last couple of days. They call to tell us they will be flying in the area. There has only been one sighting of pb here this winter. Normally there are about six or more different pb's at a time. I was also working at Pt. Barrow the year the pb were stranded all summer ont he point. I went on the land tour before they shut it down and also flew over them. About 60. They were shooting about one a week as opposed to a few a year and about a dozen or so at the point at a time. That was about five years ago. At that time there were also two sick walrus that beached and died.