Find
Notify
Tools

Elk reintroductions and Anchorage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
The funny thing about Anchorage from the last time I lived in Alaska until now is pretty much the same.

Head out of town north or south, and within a few minutes of driving towards Seward or driving out into the valley and it's like having a happiness readjustment.

Took the kids to the zoo yesterday, and then the wife wanted to drive towards Seward so we stopped at the Alaska Wildlife Consrvation Center. So we pull in and it's $18 for the carload (military), pretty good bargain at that.

Why are they putting elk on the Aleutians?

And how long before we can start hunting wood bison? $10,000 in the Yukon for one is a lot of coin.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the rest of your post, but as for the Wood Bison they are currently working out the logistics (who pays for) of shipping them out to the Innoko River. Once there they will need to do their thing and reproduce before a season starts. I believe subsistence hunting by local communities will start first and then when populations levels reach a point draw opportunities will start.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I drink and surf AR.

Makes for some combined topic reading.

Thanks for the notes on the wood bison.

Still weird about elk out there in the Aleutians. Kind of a long ways to go to kill an elk.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you're not thinking of reindeer? I know they have reindeer, but I've NEVER heard of elk on the Aleutians.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a big sign at the Alaska Wildlife Center about the Roosevelt elk from Santa Rosa that are there.

They are putting them on an Island in the Aleutians next year.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm......I'll have to ask around. Thanks.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty strange, but interesting.

Never heard exactly what happened to the Elk of Santa Rosa, since the F&&&&&ing park service wanted them off the island.

Would be nice if some of them ended up here.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Well, there are elk on Etolin and some other PWS islands, but haven't heard about sending some imports to the Aleutians - I'd think that would be some big news. The wood bison problem has been in the news for years. AK finally got the go ahead to re-introduce them.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
The Alutians should be good elk habitat as long as once in a while they introduce some new genes.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember twenty years back, there was talk about reintroduction of elk into central Ak. Bunch of people were against it for all kinds of crazy reasons, but mainly they didn't want another species available for the hunters.

There are elk a few hundred miles across the border in Canada, we see whitetails near the border from time to time, but they never seem to stick around. Local Indians have stories that wood bison were near the border in the 1800s.

F&G does a pretty good job sharing the resource with the demands they face from all user groups. The feds are forever talking to local subsistence users about restricting atv/trail access so as to lock out the influx of urban hunters. Their point is always if we can keep these people out, they'll be more moose for the locals, no joke. The feds actually invite certain people that usually are receptive to their message and completely forget about the average hunters; no joke; always during the winter when roads are closed.

You'd think they'd try to grow the resource, kill more wolves, or make it more affordable for the locals to snare more wolves. When gas is over 5 bucks, people don't joy ride or trap like they did when it was more realistic; just can't afford it on a subsistence lifestyle.

I'm afraid the end result might be restrictions that will limit the urban users access in rural Alaska. Been the process since the 1980s on many caribou migrations.

Any new game species introduction would be great for Alaska just the same.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I thought I remember years ago reading that they had Elk on Afognak Island?
Even remember a picture of an overweight Bull someone had killed.
What Island is the rumored transplant of Elk in the Aleutians?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The elk at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage are scheduled to be transplanted to Akun Island. It is 10 miles across and 64 square miles and is southwest of Unimak Island. The island is private land owned by natives. There is a population of 1,200 cows on the island that roam free at the present time.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
thought I remember years ago reading that they had Elk on Afognak Island?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
thought I remember years ago reading that they had Elk on Afognak Island?

They're still there.

As far as needing an attitude adjustment in Anchorage, I've found all you need to do is hit the trails or parks.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote