Find
Notify
Tools

Short Time To Kodiak
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Gang,
I'm starting to get excited, my hunt with Mike Munsey on Kodiak for Brown Bear is close, May 3. I've been watching the weather but have no idea if this is an average year or not. What do you experts think, are the bears starting to emerge, will they still have hair when I get there? I guess I'm just starting to rev up for this hunt and would like some local perspective on the conditions.
After the hunt my wife and I are renting a motorhome in Anchorage for 11 days to do a bit of sight seeing. Does anyone have any recommendations for sights to see, beer to drink, and fish to catch?

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
That's great Lewis. thumb Hope you get a nice one. What rifle do you plan to use? I hope to hunt brown bear in 2009. What part of Ga are you from? I'm up in Ellijay. Again, good luck on your hunt.

Darrell

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be taking my 416 Rem Mag. I'm a bit south of you just outside of Greensboro.

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
That ought to do it. Can't wait to hear a hunt report. Smiler

Darrell

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lewis50:
Hi Gang,
I'm starting to get excited, my hunt with Mike Munsey on Kodiak for Brown Bear is close, May 3. I've been watching the weather but have no idea if this is an average year or not. What do you experts think, are the bears starting to emerge, will they still have hair when I get there? I guess I'm just starting to rev up for this hunt and would like some local perspective on the conditions.
After the hunt my wife and I are renting a motorhome in Anchorage for 11 days to do a bit of sight seeing. Does anyone have any recommendations for sights to see, beer to drink, and fish to catch?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Kodiak

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PK/137.html

May is a little early for Salmon in the rivers, at least in South Central Alaska. Take a drive south 100 miles to Seward AK for Halibut & Kings or to Homer (200 miles) for Halibut & Kings. What area of Kodiak are you hunting? fishing

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
'll be on Spiridon bay chasing bears or visa versa.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Mike and Robin are great people. They will do everything they can to make your hunt pleasent and succesfull.

Mike comes from a family history of guideing and hunting that area. It would be hard to make a better choice for your hunt.

Up here in S.C AK spring is proggressing about normal (except the 4" of snow today). Kodiak seems to be holding on to winter a little bit longer than normal but by no means anything to be alarmed about.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
There are a few bears out and about. A coworker went for a hike today and had a big boar follow him a bit. This is over on Afognak. Things start happening fast in the spring so I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck down in Spiridon.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I shall proceed with my packing, reloading, and target practice.

posted Hide Post
mays a great time on kodiak, you'll want some snow, makes things easier, the bears are there, glass high and be ready to follow your guide in places you never thought people would go.
its a great place...once you heal!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or you might get lucky and shoot your bear right above the beach like I did. Big Grin

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lewis50:
I'll be taking my 416 Rem Mag.

.......Right On .. thumb If you start in Anchorage You can do the loop .Up the Parks to Fairbanks then down to Glennallen then back to Anchorage ....It,s a nice cruise ........,,,.,....Have a Great hunt , shoot straight ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just got back from the east side of the island, pretty good amount of snow still, warming up fast, bears were rubbin' good the last three days i was out, saw quiet a few bears, timing should be good, just be ready to wade thru the bears to find a good hide, we ended up with a 9'10" on day four, wasn't the biggest we saw, just the most accessible big one!! good luck and have a blast!!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. I'm starting to get excited. Got a picture of your Bear?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lewis50

I remember you from the 2007 AR dinner in Reno when I sat across from you and your wife and we talked of Africa. You related a story of your expertise on baboons.

Coincidentally, I too am going for brown bear May 10 in SE Alaska. Maybe next time we can car pool. Smiler

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldcoyote,
I'll be in Alaska until the 29 of May. After my hunts over my wife and I'll have a motor
home for about 11 days on the mainland, maybe we can get together for a cold one and some grub.
Lewis

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I flew down to Old Harbor tonight to deliver some parts to a tender. Lots of tracks in the snow saw two bears above hidden basin.
The guys on the tender reported several bear sightings around sitkalitak pass.

It's been kind of cold here in Kodiak but the last couple of days have felt like a heatwave.

I think things are looking good for you Lewis50.

I'll probably be flying down the other side of the island tomorrow (the side you will be hunting). I'll keep my eyes open.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
Akshooter,
Thanks for the intel. Mike Munsey just sent me an email tonight and said they were on day four of their first hunt with nothing on the ground yet. He said they had seen some bears but were still looking. He echoed your statement on the heat saying if the weather held I might want to bring some sunscreen.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I spent most of the day in the air today. I did get over to Uyak later on. Flew right over Mikes place. Starting to get a good melt over there. Plenty of tracks but had my eyes on the water most of the time looking for herring.
Things are a little late but by may it will really be happening.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124