Find
Notify
Tools

Brown bear age
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted
Curious if anyone (hunters or guides) have taken the time to confirm age on a brown bear they have harvested and what they found?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Husband's brown bear from the Peninsula unit 9e was 11 years 4 months according to the report he received from Alaska. He hunted with Gary LaRose in 1990. The bear made B & C three year book 26 14/16.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Curious if anyone (hunters or guides) have taken the time to confirm age on a brown bear they have harvested and what they found?

The tooth is always pulled and aged I think?

In my cases I don't remember years any more but the interesting part was my 24 1/2" skull boar was several years older than my 27 3/8" skull boar. Several more years like 4 or 5 or something.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Correct, a tooth is pulled and if you call with your tag number they will give you the results, takes like a year plus though

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had several bears aged that I found out about.
One 10’ boar off Kodiak was 5 years old.
A 10’6” boar was 11 years
A 9’2” grizzly was 20
A 8’4” grizzly was 6

But as others have mentioned age doesn’t nexcisarly correspond to skill size
Or square. I know some kids half my age that are twice my size. Same for any other animal.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I was in on the kill of a friend's 8' brown that aged 22yrs.

Took a sow brown several years ago that aged 18yrs.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I guided on a #3 b&c grizzly in 1983. He was 18 years old . From what I can recall the lager bears I guided were anywhere from 7 to 20

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
We have taken quite a few over 20 and the oldest measured by F&G was 31 years old

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
We have taken quite a few over 20 and the oldest measured by F&G was 31 years old

Wow, what was the condition of the 31 year old bear?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man in its 30’s is crazy! Wish those animals could share their story before we skin them out. I often just look at them and wish I could see some of what they saw and the crazy experiences they had. So much more there than just a carcass.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Now we’re getting somewhere, do any of you guides pay attention to the published data as to what the average (mean) is of the brown bears taken in the areas you hunt? Jake, not to get too far off the subject, but I know what you mean, I have shot one animal that affected me in a way I was not expecting. I shot a giant croc in Moz back in 2010 that they told me was somewhere around 80. For months after as I thought about it in relation to my own life, the creation of the lake I shot him in and history in general, it seemed unjust for lack of a better word.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a personal bear from Kodiak aged at 23. I guided a bear from the Brooks Range aged at 14.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The F&G guy in King Salmon estimated my bear between 20 and 25 but still waiting on the tooth sample results. His molars were worn to nothing and the left lower jaw looked like it had been broken and then healed. Also missing a toe.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

31yrs Eeker dang! How long ago was that bear killed, Phil?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote