Notify
Tools

458 win mag for alaskan game
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ray, You and me both.
Also, while your statement that the 458 is not really "needed" in Alaska may technically be true - the same claim could be made in Africa as everything over there has been readily killed with 7x57's, 308's and 30-06's. But when facing lions - which are only 1/3 the weight of a big bear or a buffalo - which don't weigh much (if any) more than a really big bear - most experienced African hunters prefer the 458 over the small bores. I feel the same about our big bears.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a couple of boxes of 450 gr. TSXs, and worked up a extremely accurate load with 76 gr. of H335. (I'm sure I could push them a bit harder, but I'd rather have them land where the rifle is pointing.) Trajectory is noticeably flatter than 500 gr. Hornady softs, and they sure do feed slick!

Has anybody shot anything with them yet? The proof is always in the application, to be sure, and I'm wondering how they're going to open on game.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil!

Thank you for your opinion!

Hey I just finished Rocky McElveen book on Alaska. Do you have a book out yet? If not, what are you waiting for?

Thanks Again!
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

We're in the same corner on this.When I lived in Alaska before,a 30/06 was all I had and I lived in the bush.The bears don't get as big in the interior as they do near the coast.Even so,they can get "big enough" and some are aggresive.

The 458 win is not "too much gun" for the bears and I mis-spoke if I seemed to imply that.When a man lives in the bush,he breaks things down to their simple components.All in all,rifles of the 30/06 class are generally the most useful.

Having said that,if I thought the 458 win would be a useless toy and therefore excess baggage,I would sell both of them without hesitation.The fact that I'm taking one (or both) should indicate that I think otherwise.

ray

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...........It,s good to say the 458 will be kept to close range but , that doesn,t always work out....There always seems to be an opening here or there.....Many people think the 300 gr X bullet is a tiny toy,,. But it is still a pretty massive projectile.......And it really does penetrate and make a huge hole thru stuff....The 350 gr. is simular and it carries a little more smash at the longer range ..They are available from Midway and Cabela,s . Probably alot of other places as well .....The GS Custom is as close as the computer ....So they are as available as any cast bullet.....I like to moly coat the X bullets ... it keeps the heat down and I think will make the bore last longer..............Which ever bullet weight you go with . The 458 works very well....If a guy likes conventional cup and core bullets that are bonded and tough the 400 gr Kodiak Bonded Core round nose is a great bullet ....It will easily zip along @ 2400 fps....and is easier to shoot from prone than the 500 gr bullets........There is a fair amount of difference in where the lighter bullets hit than the 500 gr . so its good to practice with what you will hunt with......I have shot a couple hundred Rem Premium Safari 450 gr Swift and it works very well...They and the Fedral 400 gr Trophy Bonded load are my favorite factory loads..........For the best price I have found on factory ammo is Hunting Shack Ammo...The price is reminesint of the old winchester ammo with the 510 gr lead nose.......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 458 win mag can easily make 300 yard shots if used with 400 grain pointed bullets as are available from www.northforkbullets.com.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot,

I've never been one to shoot just because something is visible.Under good conditions while using a rest position,I've made some fairly distant shots but those are the exception rather than the norm.

To each,his own but if I'm hunting in open country,I'll leave the 458 back at the cabin.Even with a high velocity small bore,I'll pass up a shot that I consider questionable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the responses I received on this thread.

If I've come across as being ungrateful for the information on pointed bullets/flat trajectory and so forth,I apologize.I've done so much hunting with muzzle loaders and such that close range use seems very natural to me.It's not uncommon at all for me to spot game that I consider to be out of range.Such was also the case with me when I was in Alaska.

The 458 win is at it's best for close range work which suits me just fine.But my hat's off to you fellows who get long range use out of it.I don't consider close range to be a handicap but I know that not everyone sees it the same way.To each,his own.Thanks again.

regards,ray

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.........Ya no prob. I,m just saying that all the benifits of the 458 Win mag ,,Deep penatration , wide frontal cross section , around 5k ft lb can be had from the same rifle that can make a longish shot easier......I have had quite a few times in the past 21 years of hunting with the 458 Win Mag in Alaska, the need for something better than a round nose bullet ......But then I primarily hunt to fill the freezer and cupboard , and I have packed the 458 to keep the bears off me........Where I live,,,,nearly the length and bredth of Alaska , there is , impenatrable brush , tight timber , open timber,muskegs, beaches ,clear cuts , mountain medows, ect..........If I,m just going out for a fun , call them in close hunt , then a round nose bullet works fine..And I have just such a fair wx. rifle for that kind of a fun hunt...If I need meat now I will use an X bullet......But thats why I,ve gone to the 416 Rem w/300 gr X bullets real fast and am looking fwd to the 375 Ruger....Increased versatiliyy...........Don,t mean to be arguementative but this has been my experience....And what I have seen pretty much everyone who uses a 458 up here... When it comes time to hunt they use a little rifle and then complane that there are too many bear around when they have meat on their back......A 300 gr X bullet at around 2700 fps solves that problem. but It took me quite a while to learn that.........

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot,

I spent over three years LIVING IN THE BUSH.It was very isolated and the nearest human being was about 25 miles.You're entitled to your opinion but I don't need to be talked down to.

I've seen moose while using an axe to cut wood and I've seen bear right outside my cabin door.I'm no tenderfoot and I'm no dude hunter.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......Sorry Ray ;;never ment to imply you were a chechako ....I have noticed the Golden Hearters oft times feel they have a lock on what is Alaskan ect. and what isn,t....However Alaska is such a HUGE place with so many different hunting ,working and liveing situations. and since I myself have more than 15 years liveing in the bush .I feel qualified to answer with my experiences.......There are few people who have my experience level for liveing and working in Alaska.and in the bush..,.,But I,m not trying to get anyone all P.Oed ,.,.To the contraty I have enjoyed the 458 so much and relied on it so much that , perhaps I am too enthusiastic about it ........But I , because of past experience ,am always Very Quick to dish the 06 users.........No doubt there are lots of people who like the round , I am one of it,s staunchest haters ...........There are more animals walking around Alaska with 30 cal bullets in them than carters has got liver pills......And where I live those problems can get dangerous...... Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Your cast bullet is too small sir.
try a .460 or .461 sized bullet of the weight you want.
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
This brings up a good question for me.
My .458 will shoot a 500 gr, jacketed very well(under 1 inch @ 100. It will not stabilize a hard cast over 350 gr.
I have only hunted with the honady's but played around with quite a few hard cast on the range. All over the papper with all the lead bullets except a 350gr. gc @ 2300 fps. It has a 1 in 22 twist. Any ideas?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Your cast bullet is too small sir.
try a .460 or .461 sized bullet of the weight you want.
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
This brings up a good question for me.
My .458 will shoot a 500 gr, jacketed very well(under 1 inch @ 100. It will not stabilize a hard cast over 350 gr.
I have only hunted with the honady's but played around with quite a few hard cast on the range. All over the papper with all the lead bullets except a 350gr. gc @ 2300 fps. It has a 1 in 22 twist. Any ideas?

About 14 years late on your reply rotflmo

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Saw it when I posted it. Never too late to be both helpful and right. Lots of folks have bought .459 cast bullets meant for a 45-70 and wondered why they didn’t work well in the .458WM. The answer lives on with the problem.
Best regards Sir.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Saw it when I posted it. Never too late to be both helpful and right. Lots of folks have bought .459 cast bullets meant for a 45-70 and wondered why they didn’t work well in the .458WM. The answer lives on with the problem.
Best regards Sir.

I was kidding Fury. I actually like to see some of these old threads come up.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yep. Thank you. I was searching for Phil's Old Ugly Moose at 400 yards story and read this one. Smiler
Best to you Sir!