THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Best month and best city to fish for halibut?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best month and best city to fish for halibut?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
What do you AK residents say?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Although Homer and the Kenai Peninsula are well known for good reason for halibut fishing and fishing general, my advice is not to go. Vacation crowds are fierce, fishing competition is keen and I don't believe it gives a complete picture of Alaska any more than a cruise ship does.

I would recommend a more remote or off road location like sitka, Kodiak, Wrangell etc. Alaska Airlines flights to destinations like Kodiak or Sitka aren't expensive and not being able to drive there dissuades many. I wouldn't be able to recommend any specific destinations or times, but for me personally, Cordova, sitka, Kodiak, Wrangell and maybe Ketchikan are on my to do list.

Much of south east Alaska and the Gulf Coast are also available via the state ferry system and it comes highly recommended. You can book passage for your vehicle if you thought that was important and have access to what small amount of road is available in each location. Not sure I'd recommend bringing my own rig but the passage on the ferry is quite fun.

Posts: 9067 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I prefer six-pack combo trips out of Seward for Salmon, Halibut, and Ling Cod. A much broader experience with a chance for some whale watching thrown in.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7588 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! - This will be a husband and wives trip.

The six pack trip sounds intriquing as well as going off the beaten path.

Scott and Frostbit any suggestions on timing - most likely would need to be mid June thru mid Aug.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Thanks guys! - This will be a husband and wives trip.

The six pack trip sounds intriquing as well as going off the beaten path.

Scott and Frostbit any suggestions on timing - most likely would need to be mid June thru mid Aug.

Mike,

If you are thinking Seward for the combo trip one date I would absolutely avoid is sometime close to July 4th. The Mt. Marathon race is run on July fourth and although it's a cool thing to see it turns the town of Seward upside down.

The Seward Silver Salmon Derby runs August 13, 2022 - August 21, 2022 and although I wouldn't pick my time solely based on that you could always get lucky and catch one of the tagged payday fish.

PM inbound.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7588 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
June, July, August seem normally recommended.

I don't think you have to avoid holiday or special event weekends in rural locations.

If you want to specifically target halibut I'd recommend specifically targeting halibut with an appropriate guide and location. It's sort of like moose hunting; if you'd like to kill a big bull but you're willing to downgrade to a caribou, deer, black bear or wolf, you'll likely not take home a big moose.

Posts: 9067 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Mike, if you go to Seward, one thing I suggest you add on is a float trip on the Kenai River, out of Cooper Landing for rainbows. A buddy and I did a half day float over Labor Day weekend one year, before flying to Illiamna to go caribou hunting. We caught and released about 120 fish in a half day. Mostly gorgeous rainbows, but also some excellent Dolly Vardens.

They don’t call them ‘Leopard Trout’ for nothing. They’re some of the most vividly colored, heavily spotted rainbows you’ll ever see. Beasides, it’s a wonderful way to enjoy a day.

Posts: 3844 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife & another couple will be in Seward the first week in July for vacation. We have a halibut charter booked with the fish house.The other couple have been there before & wanted to see the festivities on the 4th. We are flying into Fairbanks next week & working our way down th Anchorage.

Posts: 95 | Location: West Michigan  | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yakutat or Craig. Yakutat with regular AA service, not sure about Craig now.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I got this as a Kodiak recommendation.

https://www.kodiakcombos.com/

Stay in Kodiak and take day trips of stay in Old Harbor at the lodge for an inclusive trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Kodiak. If one wants a remote lodge /Charter Fishing trip for a week, check out Ugak Bay Lodge. Operated by Brian Peterson, Master Guide and Outfitter. 3 years ago a Texas client pulled in a 499 lb halibut.

There are a number of fishing guides in Kodiak proper who offer day trips. Well worth checking out.

Tim

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have fished three times with Ninilchik Charters (https://ninilchik.com/) and have always been happy with the service and the fish. They fish the Kenai and Seward.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have fished three times with Baranof Wilderness Lodge. Outstanding and great halibut, salmon and cod fishing.
Great hosts and food. My wife loves Mike and Sally Trotter.
We go every or every other year.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
I prefer six-pack combo trips out of Seward for Salmon, Halibut, and Ling Cod. A much broader experience with a chance for some whale watching thrown in.

Do you have a boat charter to recommend for that?

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you're taking wives, you may want to consider Seward or Homer, which have more else to do than the more remote locations. Lots of shops, a sea-life museum in Seward, and nice restaurants. You can drive to either town from Anchorage. Barring a tsunami, you won't be weathered in--unlike, possibly, more remote locations.

Homer is more known for big halibut, but you may have a long boat ride to get to the halibut grounds and the water can get rough.

Seward offers more sheltered waters, good halibut, and also great silver (Coho) salmon fishing in the bay, during August. I avoid the derby though; I hate crowds, and the harbor can get congested then.

Once you're out on the water it won't be crowded, as the charters don't tend to fish right on top of each other. More spread out, beyond hollering distance. Every captain wants their guests to have a good experience, and they all have their favorite spots, so they don't crowd each other. BUT during the salmon season, the bay can see a lot of private boats also, some of whom don't respect other boats.

I don't like halibut fishing much. It's a rather boring way to fish, comparable to fishing for catfish. Except halibut are more tiring to reel in. No exciting runs or aerial stunts; you feel like you're trying to pull up the bottom.

If I were you, I'd go for the trout fishing out of Cooper Landing idea. I've fished all three places I just discussed, and that's my preference.

Posts: 6072 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
All,

Thanks for the info. Frostbit - still owe you a phone call. Had a couple of surgeries in the last 60 days plus somaily issues to deal with so have been side tracked.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I just got back from AK. We went out of Homer on the "Current Lady" on a halibut & salmon combo. I got a shooter halibut and my 1st king. Plus a couple of silvers, a couple rock fish & my chicken halibut. We went in late July. Getting a big yellow eye is on my list---maybe next year.

The "Current Lady" with Capt Dave is the best. We rebook every year. Bob

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which months of the year is the best time to charter a boat and go fishing?

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
We go in July every year. Last 2 weeks of the month because that's when the reds are running in the Kenai. We make the trip down to Homer. If you're interested in the Current Lady you better get on it. It fills up quick & most slots are probably already booked.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
What do you AK residents say?

May & June if in the Homer/Cook Inlet area.
Bigger fish, in shallow <100' FAR LESS Fu=king TOURIST's

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off the beaten path, Gustavus or Yakutat. I've been doing self-guided out of Coffman Cove on POW Island the last several years and we have pulled in several 100+lb halibut there. July if you also want salmon, late May/June if you want to target halibut.

I've fished out of Whittier, Seward and Homer, but it's always been in September or October after a hunt. That said, the fishing has always been excellent.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We go to Sitka every year either end if june or a few days in July. I use to deckhand for Big Blue Charter owner Mike Keating. Karen and Mike will def take care of you and will put you on the fish. Hope this helps.

RG #128878
"Let The Hunt Unfold"
*Professional Hunting Guide*
Grizzly
KNWR Brown Bear, Mtn. Goat
ANWR Dall Sheep,Caribou
Moose

Posts: 22 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vining:
I would recommend Kodiak. If one wants a remote lodge /Charter Fishing trip for a week, check out Ugak Bay Lodge. Operated by Brian Peterson, Master Guide and Outfitter. 3 years ago a Texas client pulled in a 499 lb halibut.

There are a number of fishing guides in Kodiak proper who offer day trips. Well worth checking out.

A 499# halibut is a perfect sized fish for a texan to take home! rotflmo rotflmo tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I am not from Alaska, but I have been fishing and hunting there since my first trip in 1964, while in college, to assist a buddy bringing a 38ft commercial gillnetter back down to Puget Sound from COFFMAN COVE, and 30 years on the same 80ft Classic Fantail charter boat,sometimes 3 trips in a year in Southeast from Petersburg to Sitka...took my Brown Bear on this yacht!! I have caught many, many Kings, Coho, and Halibut!!... and yes the Kenai peninsula to Homer as well.
My recommendation is to stay away from popular tourist areas, they are heavily fished!!
The best fishing is on private or charter yachts, and I prefer Southeast...and I like to combine fishing with Spring Bear hunts... you will always catch halibut, the big King Salmon, late May and June.
My secrets for lodge Halibut are EAGLE CREST LODGE in Glacier Bay, Gustavus, and Steve Daniels HIGHLINER LODGE, Pelican. Both accessed from Juneau, lots of Kings at the latter. Yes, remote locations, no cruise ships, no major airports.
You will find size limits down here to protect females. All Halibut over about 70lbs are females. You will see 250-375-450+lb Halibut taken, but in my opinion, not great eating with very coarse grain fillets..... my target eaters are under 70lbs, let the big ones swim!! They are fun to struggle with, but fine fillets are best eating!!
For charter yachts,offering hunts too, I would go with Bert Stromquist, Baranof Adventures, Sitka, or Keegan McCarthy, Coastal Alaska Adventures,Juneau, or Dale Adams, Adams Alaska Safaris, Sitka.
Note, I sold Bert his present yacht!!...and haven't fished or hunted it yet!! I am eyeing a winter Goat hunt for an old guy!!
ENJOY!! Maybe I'll see you on the dock?? Glad to chat with you about all of these adventures. PM me...
CHEERZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2550 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote