THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Shoe packs, pack boots, "Mickey Mouse" boots, or many others?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoe packs, pack boots, "Mickey Mouse" boots, or many others?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Among Shoe packs, pack boots, "Mickey Mouse" boots, or many others — in Alaska fall and winter away from swampy shoreline muck, what boot designs, and what boot brands have reputations for excellent, durable quality?

Possibles that come to my mind are Montana made Schnee's [pronounced shnays] pack boots with swappable Thinsulate® boot liners, and American and/or Canadian made L.L. Bean's Maine Shoepacks. While it seems as though every outdoor vendor sells somebody's combination rubber bottom-leather top lugged boots, this design is but a fraction of cold weather and/or wet weather boots.
Rather than requesting top-of-the-line of a boot design, I ask those who live in Alaska and those who hunt their reasonably regularly:

The only assumption I make is that boots are among the few where "best" is essential — that is, more important than firearms, knives, and binocular. In Alaska fall and winter away from swampy shoreline muck, what boot designs, and what boot brands have reputations for excellent, durable quality?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
Among Shoe packs, pack boots, "Mickey Mouse" boots, or many others — in Alaska fall and winter away from swampy shoreline muck, what boot designs, and what boot brands have reputations for excellent, durable quality?

Possibles that come to my mind are Montana made Schnee's [pronounced shnays] pack boots with swappable Thinsulate® boot liners, and American and/or Canadian made L.L. Bean's Maine Shoepacks. While it seems as though every outdoor vendor sells somebody's combination rubber bottom-leather top lugged boots, this design is but a fraction of cold weather and/or wet weather boots.
Rather than requesting top-of-the-line of a boot design, I ask those who live in Alaska and those who hunt their reasonably regularly:

The only assumption I make is that boots are among the few where "best" is essential — that is, more important than firearms, knives, and binocular. In Alaska fall and winter away from swampy shoreline muck, what boot designs, and what boot brands have reputations for excellent, durable quality?

BAFFIN

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I’m up here on the Slope and I see a lot of Xtratuff boots in the Summer and early Fall. Once it starts getting cool/cold you will see a lot more Muck boots. The Muck Arctic Pro is popular. Once winter has truly set in you start seeing more of the removable liner boots like Baffins and such.

The true Pac boot that Schnees and many others make are not common up here. In fact I have never seen anyone wearing them. I’m guessing that they must be popular elsewhere but I can’t really say.

White Bunny Boots are still popular during the coldest part of the year.

BTW, I’ve only been here a year and a half so I’m not claiming to be an expert, I’m just passing on what I have seen. Personally I have Xtratuffs for Summer, Baffins for deep Winter(and ice fishing), and Muck Arctic Pros for any time that it is cold but I foresee the possibility of getting wet, such as freeze up, breakup, or overflow.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:

BAFFIN

That is what my deer hunting buddy in Northern MN swears by.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's nice when consensus shows up immediately. I'm pleased?? to report that I am unfamiliar with the boots mentioned so far, excepting White Bunny boots. Let's see how patterns work out. Meanwhile I shall find out about Baffin brand/model and Muck Arctic Pro.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My info might be a little dated but pack boots with liners like the Sorels, LL BEAN and Schnees should work as well now as they did from '82-"04 when I lived in the Alaskan Bush. Bunny Boots work but they are heavy, bulky and do not let one micron of moisture escape so your feet will be wet at day's end.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The locals will want your bunny boots when you depart.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Fall and winter are two completely different climates in Alaska. I consider “fall” to end at the end of September. So, for “away from swampy shoreline muck”, I commonly wear a pair of Merrell Sawtooths or HanWag Trapper GTX (got a deal on these at a banquet”. Winter can mean cold to very cold (>10*). My go to boots are a tall pair of Kennetrek pack boots, a not made anymore pair of Wiggy’s pack boots, or a pair of white bunny boots, depending on conditions and support needed. If I’m snow machining, it’s the bunny boots. I wear nothing but wool socks, usually Darn Tough brand, and in the winter, they are the over the calf versions. I also like the wool Superfeet insoles. My daily winter wear boot is most often a side zip, LL Bean Storm Chaser boot. Other folks I see often wear the insulated Xtratuffs or insulated Muck Boots or Alpha Burlys.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For pac boots, Hoffman, Whites, Kenetrek or Schnees.

Hoffman and Whites are rebuildable. Not sure if Kenetrek or Schees are.

Hoffman would be my first choice.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never been that far North. Doubt I'll
make it now.

Had a pair of Army Micky's I brought home
from Germany.

Walked over a mile out on the ice fishing.
About three hours the guy I was with said
his feet were freezing and we had to leave.

By the time we got back to his truck my
feet were burning up bad. When I took them
off the steam rolled from both the boots and
my feet.

He put them on to warm his feet up. Hell of
a deal, he was a door to door mail carrier.
I figured anyone on that job would have proper
winter boots.

Just my experience. Never had packs.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote