Find
Notify
Tools

Guided moose hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted
I’m looking for a guided moose hunt for next year. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
What are your realistic hopes trophy wise ?
What are your physical and financial abilities ?

There are numerous outstanding guide/outfitters from the Northern Brooks range south to the Alaskan peninsula.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I’m after a good moose it doesn’t have to be the monster. I’m am older but in good physical shape. Finances okay. I have been to Africa several times

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Then it sounds like you should do well and be happy in a lot of camps.
Be sure to check references and call and talk with the outfitter/guide

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and talk with the outfitter/guide

Like the one just above! :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
and talk with the outfitter/guide

Like the one just above! :-)

X2

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose hunting is a blast but has become quite popular.
My suggestion would be first to decide what type of moose hunt would be most enjoyable for you. You have a lot of options. Do you want to do to a horseback hunt in a wilderness area, sleep in a backpack tent or back to a warm cabin each night? Would you enjoy staying on a lake and hunting that area the entire hunt, or a more primitive float trip using a raft or how about a jet boat on a river traveling up and down the river each day? Northern BC, the Yukon and the NWT have areas with fantastic moose hunting. Alaska should have some great options too, but I have zero experience in Alaska. Not sure what the availability is for next year with COVID. In normal times the best outfits and the best dates are usually booked two years in advance. You may get lucky with a cancellation or a new booking since the top outfitters will not be doing the show circuit in January this year. Good luck on your hunt!

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to consult the Alaskan authority himself Chuke's Outdoors.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have guided moose for a few different outfits that I would recommend. On the upper end of the financial scale, with the possibility of 70 inch moose, I'd recommend Curly Warren with Stoney River Lodge.

The outfit I guide sheep for does a few moose hunts as well and is little more reasonable on the price of the hunt compared to most. Matt Snyder with Alaska Hunting Adventures.

Lots of good moose outfitters up here, and a few bad ones too, just make sure you do your homework and book with a reputable outfit and you should have a great hunt.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the NWT outfits. Take a look at how they are doing their flying-in house or by contract. Most important- talk to all the previous clients you can. A reference list could be, and often is, cherry picked by the outfitter.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next year? As in fall of ‘21?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might be a little late in the game to get in with the better outfits.

I hunted with Jake Jefferson (Fortyonesix on here) in 2020, and had a great hunt. Shot a good bull and had a 200 yard pack to the airstrip from where he fell. It was an exploratory hunt that worked out. I believe Jake has a better area scouted out for 2021, but I have no idea of the availability. He just started offering moose.

Second hunt with Jake. Not the last assuming he'll continue to put up with me.

The second photo is the best one. I shot him 44 yards from the tent.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
You might be a little late in the game to get in with the better outfits.

I hunted with Jake Jefferson (Fortyonesix on here) in 2020, and had a great hunt. Shot a good bull and had a 200 yard pack to the airstrip from where he fell. It was an exploratory hunt that worked out. I believe Jake has a better area scouted out for 2021, but I have no idea of the availability. He just started offering moose.

Second hunt with Jake. Not the last assuming he'll continue to put up with me.

The second photo is the best one. I shot him 44 yards from the tent.

Jeremy

Heck of packing job.

Big Grin

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my defense. We could have taxied the plane to the gut pile and not have packed the moose at all. But we were hoping for more critters to show up and wanted to sit on it for day. Wolverine showed up.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My kind of moose hunt with my kind of guy! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Then it sounds like you should do well and be happy in a lot of camps.
Be sure to check references and call and talk with the outfitter/guide

I hunted with Phil in 2019; had a great hunt. I have been on five moose hunts, and this was one of the best (I did hunt a pretty remote area of the Yukon and shot a monster, but you don't need to spend that kind of money).

I would rather shoot a 60 inch moose with palmed fronts than a 65 with forks, and that is exactly what I did with Phil.

My guide for that hunt posts here on AR as well (it wasn't Phil).

PM me if you want to chat.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are many great guides/outfitters in the state. Big Bulls being killed all over the state.

I would recommend Renfro's Alaska Adventures, Wade Renfro, runs a great remote show. We kill some absolute giants in very remote country. The bulls have everything, Mass, width and large multiple brow tines. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will or I can send you a PM.

These are remote fly out ridge top tent hunts. Very good food and gear. Most bulls are killed with in a mile of camp but that being said once you get a bull down Wade flies a a packer or two out to help the guide.

Hope this helps

RG #128878
"Let The Hunt Unfold"
*Professional Hunting Guide*
Grizzly
KNWR Brown Bear, Mtn. Goat
ANWR Dall Sheep,Caribou
Moose

Posts: 22 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2018Reply With Quote