New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chest Waders or Waist High Waders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going on a boat hunt for Brown Bear this May. The outfitter recommended the Simms stocking foot waders and boots. I ordered a pair of Chest waders from Barney's and when the package arrived, they sent the waist high version. I called Barney's and they have no problem sending me the chest waders but after talking to the sales guy, he said the waist version is the way to go. What do you guys think?

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the waist high ones.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Never been to AK but been through several pairs of hip boots and chest waders and taken water on with each! Good luck and keep your powder dry

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took both to AK on my bearhunt and I wore the waist high at first till I fell in the river, water got in easily and quickly. I wore my chest highs after that and of course I fell in with those on due to the fast moving river and rocky and unstable bottom but I was able to keep my chest up and water never got in the first time and the second time just a little got in. The waist high are a lot easier when you need to take care of business, I keep both of them and they are cheap insurance so to speak if they get tore.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used waist high on my bear hunt and they worked fine.

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

+1

Waist high are getting very popular around here.

Posts: 9076 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used all three and have gone back to hip boots to hunt in. I will probably get another pair of waist highs for fishing as I wore out my last set. I used them a lot but more for fishing than hunting. I still prefer hip boots for hunting.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the outfitter specifically recommended chest wadders then I would stick with his advice...he probably has his reasons.

If he didn't specify then I would ask.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sporthill 3sp pants with ins.hip boots.I think you may over heat with hip/chest wadders if your on the move.

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used hip boots on my first AK hunt and I still got blisters scars, the booty style breathable waders are what you need as long as you spend the time to get the sizing correct on the over shoes, you can get a pair of lie weight pants to go over to protect the waders since they are vulnerable to snags and sharp objects

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no way in hades would i go in chest waders - if you get caught in a swift river in them - you're a goner even in hip boots you ca nend up like me and wake up 1/2 mile downstream - chest waders filled with water don't give you much of a chance

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL Don't fall in the water!(I know its easier said than done I was there twice)

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I fell in the water since I had belts on I never got dragged I spread eagle, held on my rifle till I got my footing back. The problem I had was the gortex jacket, if you ever went swimming in gortex you know it keeps water in as good as water out and when it bloats up its a hell of a trick to stand up, after the second swim I left the gortex in the tent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
have falled in with 150lb bear hide crossing a river once, it wasn't fun.
never falled in with chest waders on though.
i will say a good bear of chest waders is far more comfortable and really simplifies your rain gear set up.
just go with what your outfitter says.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

+1

+1

I've used them all - waist highs are the only way for me.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the outfitter recomended chest high waders..... id bring chest high waders.

Ive been on 3 boat based bear hunts in SE Alaska. Ive always worn chest high Simms G3 with a good lug sole Simms boots and have never had an issue. On 2 of those hunts , there were other hunters who didnt bring the gear the outfitter recomended. Neadless to say they were wet and miserable the whole time.

Who are you hunting with?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

+1

+1

I've used them all - waist highs are the only way for me.

Joe, +1 chest waders for fisherman, for hunting the waist highs are the ticket, just ask another DC.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fishdog:
If the outfitter recomended chest high waders..... id bring chest high waders.

Ive been on 3 boat based bear hunts in SE Alaska. Ive always worn chest high Simms G3 with a good lug sole Simms boots and have never had an issue. On 2 of those hunts , there were other hunters who didnt bring the gear the outfitter recomended. Neadless to say they were wet and miserable the whole time.

Who are you hunting with?

Exactly. Go with what your outfitter says.

It's all about not getting wet. You will be jumping off a skip and walking to shore mainly- you may not know the water depth, why the preference to chest waders I bet.

FWIW I've been to Alaska with HH pants and short jacket, HH bibs and long jacket, hip boots, hip waders and chest waders. I definitely preferred the bibs and long coat HH rain gear (at the very least get a long rain jacket). That is really the more important question to be answered. The chest/hip debate is minor.

I also preferred chest waders, though not by much. Mainly because one more freebee warm/wind layer (rain or sleet in a 40 mph breeze is not pleasant). The only drawback is perspiration. Hunting Alaska is not a gentleman's hunt. You will be humping it and sweating like a pig, especially once you get to shore then and start going uphill.

But it's best not to be wet. No cotton. No Gore-Tex. The more body coverage the better. Long sleeves allow you to cover your gloves. Consider liners as well.

Good luck. Bear hunting in Alaska is just plain fun.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
I've never seen waist high waders, just chest high and hip waders. Every time I've hunted in Alaska, I've used hip boots. My chest waders are neopreme and not very comfortable to walk in for very far. They are great for sitting in the marsh, but too heavy to want to be in on a hike.

I still haven't found a brand of hip waders that are really comfortable. I have wide feet with high arches, so most of my issues are personal to me and wont apply to others. Whatever it costs, find the most comfortable ones out there.

On my last trip I tore a hole in the ankle area getting too close to a willow that a beaver had eaten off. Those things are like spikes pointing up at different angles just waiting to tear open your waders. I tried duct tape, glue and a patch kit without success. I had one wet foot for the next two weeks.

Whatever you bring, be sure to have something to patch a hole. I only had a couple pair of socks, and they where all wet by the third day and they never dried out while I was there.

Same thing on my sheep hunt with wet socks. Be sure you have socks that will keep your feet warm when they are wet. Be careful trying to dry them next to the fire, I fell asleep one time and woke up to having 3 pairs on fire!!!

Many times if the water is too deep to walk through, I've taken them off and gone through naked. It's painful, extremely cold, but once it's over, you can dry off and warm up pretty quickly while hiking.

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies and info. Here is what I have decided. Since I fly fish quite a bit, I am going with the G3 Chest waders. After the hunt I will have an awesome set of waders. I am going to Cabelas and buy a set of waist high waders for $129.00 and bring them as a spare.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote