THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    ‘Bear Whisperer’ Star Charged With Poaching Bear Whose Killing Was Aired on His Show

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Bear Whisperer’ Star Charged With Poaching Bear Whose Killing Was Aired on His Show
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.thedailybeast.com/...as-aired-on-his-show

‘Bear Whisperer’ Star Charged With Poaching Bear Whose Killing Was Aired on His Show
‘THE AWESOME PREDATOR’
“Blaine Anthony” allegedly shot a black bear in a national park where hunting is illegal, and airing footage of the kill on his show.

Justin Rohrlich
Reporter
Published May. 09, 2022 9:59PM ET
EXCLUSIVE
The Bear Whisperer
A reality TV personality known as the “Bear Whisperer” is facing federal charges for illegally poaching a bear later featured on the show, according to a criminal complaint first obtained by The Daily Beast.

Harvey Neil Anthony, who goes by Blaine Anthony professionally, violated the Lacey Act when he shot and killed a black bear in Alaska’s Kenai Fjords National Park, then lied on official paperwork about where the animal had been bagged, prosecutors say.

“Black bears occur throughout the Park and represent a significant wildlife component of its ecosystem,” the complaint explains. “Hunting is prohibited in the Park.”

The Lacey Act, which was first enacted in 1900, bans the trafficking of wildlife that has been unlawfully taken or transported.

To legally hunt bears in Alaska, residents are required to apply for a slew of licenses, permits, and tags. Out-of-state hunters “must be accompanied in the field by an Alaska-licensed guide or a resident relative within second-degree of kindred,” according to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

In 2012, far-right rocker Ted Nugent pleaded guilty to illegally killing a black bear in Alaska, later airing the footage on his own television show, Spirit of the Wild. Nugent received two years probation, agreed to film a public service announcement promoting responsible hunting, paid a $10,000 fine, and promised not to hunt or fish on any U.S. Forest Service lands for one full year.

Anthony, 55, produces and stars in The Bear Whisperer, a hunting show in which he “aims to not only entertain viewers with upbeat and exciting hunts with Blaine’s quirky appearance and upbeat attitude, but also educate them on all that pertains to conserving and protecting the future of the bears.”

The show, which is backed by Anthony’s Maine-based Nature Productions, began airing in 2011. It has been seen on the Outdoor Adventure Network, the Pursuit Channel, and the Hunting Channel Online. Nature Productions bills itself as “one of the foremost providers of production services for programs on networks such as Discovery, Outdoor Channel, Sportsman Channel, Pursuit, Fox Sports, NBC Sports and syndicated television.” Anthony also appears on a self-produced online show called Freedom Fighters, in which he and his co-host rail against immigration, gun control, and universal healthcare.

Anthony describes himself as having “always had a connection and understanding with bears without ever loosing [sic] the respect of the awesome predator. Considered to be one of the only ‘true’ bear conservationist [sic] employing real conservation methods such as tagging, tracking and maybe the most important conservation efforts of all hunting, Blaine brings a real life, no holds barred show to millions every week.”

But that’s not what the feds say.

Between 2011 and 2019, Anthony participated in at least eight hunting trips to the Kenai Peninsula, looking for black bear, according to the complaint against him unsealed Monday. They moved from place to place aboard a boat, operated by a captain identified in the complaint only as “Individual A,” the complaint states.

Over the course of a four-day hunt in May 2017, Anthony and his crew allegedly shot and killed a black bear in Pilot Harbor, within the Kenai Fjords National Park, where hunting is illegal.

“Video footage was taken of the hunt for use on Harvey Neil Anthony and Nature Productions, Inc.’s television hunting show,” according to the complaint.

Anthony and the team then transported the dead bear to Homer, Alaska aboard Individual A’s boat, the filing continues.

On May 12, 2017, prosecutors say Anthony filed a false declaration with state officials in Alaska, stating that the black bear taken in Kenai Fjords National Park had actually been taken in Berger Bay, a legal hunting spot that lies outside the park, roughly 19 miles from the true kill site. Anthony then had the bear stuffed by a taxidermist and had the animal sent to his home in Maine.

Footage of the kill was later aired on The Bear Whisperer, as well as footage of a second illegal black bear kill taken from Kenai Fjords National Park during another trip, the feds allege.

The charges against Anthony and his production company, both misdemeanors, carry up to a year in prison and a maximum fine of $100,000 per individual and $200,000 per organization. Anthony does not have a lawyer listed in court records. Reached by phone, a staffer at Anthony’s production offices seemed unaware that Anthony had been charged but agreed to pass along The Daily Beast’s request for comment, to which he has not yet responded.

Anthony is due in court for a hearing on June 10.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.documentcloud.org/...05-anthony-complaint

Link to complaint.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw one episode of this show. He was guiding or filming a black bear hunt over bait. Bear is wounded. He is following up. There is a steady camera over the bait station.

Minutes later you see bear chase him across the shot from the stationary camera. Someone kills bear off camera was you hear the shots.

Do not know if I would run, but if I am suppose to be the the bear whisper with uptrend bears on my wall (I honestly think she was the “guide” for this hunt). Running would not be how I would react.

Never watched again.

Amazes me these tv poachers film their criminal activity.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
I'm very curious to know who Individual A is, the guide with the boat who led him on the 8 hunts. There is big water once you get around the bend from Kachamak Bay, so any boat going there is going to be substantial, that is, not at all cheap and not something a sane person would want to risk getting confiscated by illegally guiding. I've camped a lot along the shore in the area he claimed to have killed them and hunted in the area a few times (Petrof Lake, Brown Mtn for goats multiple times, Tonsina Bay, my own land on Nuka Passage directly across the channel from one of his supposed kill sites, etc) and there are plenty of black bears on state land. It is almost hard to go a day without seeing one just going about your business.

Frankly, if the accusations are true I hope whoever the outfitter/guide is not only loses the boat but spends time in the big house. It just seems incomprehensible to me to spend time cruising the shore glassing in areas you know you cannot legally shoot unless you are absolutely convinced you'll never be caught. If this guy did that on multiple occasions then I wonder how many other clients of the outfitter did the same? I know greed is a powerful motivator but the brazenness of the accusations is what shocks me.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Several years back my youngest son was hooked on watching this guys show. The Guy was absolutely petrified of Bears and even my son thought it comical that he referred to himself as "the Bear whisperer".

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never found the guy watchable.....always turned the channel. For some of these guides the benefits of poaching must outweigh the risk hence I agree with those of you that think the penalty should be far stiffer.

Like Bill Saiff on Lake Ontario that's been caught multiple times.....laws are for others to follow.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 245 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I can’t stand this douchnozzle. His goofy bleached hair, his weird accent and his inflated self image just galls me.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two sides to every story, but just glancing at a map shows that Pilot Harbor is a good 15 or so miles from the nearest non-National Park land, so you can't really claim some sort of honest navigational error, etc. The only REALLY long shot defense I could think of is to somehow argue the bear was shot on exposed tide lands below the high water mark and that those are not a part of the park. I don't know what the law reads, but that seems like it would be a real stretch and need the services of a lawyer that costs far more than a no contest plea. Even that still wouldn't explain reporting the kill site as 19 miles away though.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote