THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    (Not)xx-une hunt fly-in for moose? -edited for typos

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(Not)xx-une hunt fly-in for moose? -edited for typos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
edit - typed faster then i could think on the first pass.
You guys gave me great advice last time I asked a similar question. I definitely will not be flying out of Anchorage based upon past advice.

What is everyones suggestions for a game unit for self guided Moose? I think a good air service operator makes all the difference between a successful hunt and just another ten days being cold and wet.

Posts: 35 | Location: KS | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There ain't no moose hunts in June.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm an idiot. I meant last week of august - first week of september. I typed up the wrong time off Smiler That is what I get for staying up late. Last year people recommended Unit 17 - it still sounds good to me but updates are always better.

Posts: 35 | Location: KS | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
If you want a chance at a good bull I would go in mid to late September when it's closer to the rut. I would look in Unit 25 and fly out of Fairbanks with Wright Air Service.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Frankly I think your choice of Unit 17 is excellent but your timing is still poor.

Unit 17 does have excellent moose and bear hunting. Habitat for moose is in fine shape and we are ending another winter with no winter kill. Bears should continue to thrive with lots of salmon to eat over the last few years and are just now popping out of their dens. As luck would have it for the spring hunters, the snow is sort of hanging in there so access to hunting areas should be managable.

In my opinion the only time to hunt moose out here is the last week of the season, Sept 8th thru the 15th. In theory during those dates moose are headed into the rut and moving around some. Calling during that time is possible and has worked quite well for me. Bear hunting doesn't open until early September some time so the August portion of your time frame doesn't work for that.

You also may well be too late to book a plane ride for this year. I have used and recommend Bay Air, owned and operated by Tom and Janet Schlagel, (907) 842-2570. Both are fine people and Tom is a very competent pilot. A friend from Idaho and I will be flying with Tom during the time frame I noted above for moose and maybe a bear if lucky.

I would advise calling Bay Air and your supervisor at work ASAP and attempt getting time off and a hunt starting on or about Sept 6th and going as long as you can.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
littbigd

Scott King is right on the money. He lives in my old Alaska stomping grounds and is one of the most successful trophy moose hunters I have ever known. Listen to him! The timing is critical and as Scott said the last week of the season in Unit 17 is when to be there. Even more specifically 10-15 Sept is prime.

Bay Air IS the outfit to fly out with.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote