Find
Notify
Tools

Going Old School
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted
I've got a grizzly hunt scheduled with Jake Jefferson--Fourtyonesix in June. Planning on using my 30/06. Worked up a very accurate load---48.5 grains of IMR 4350, CCI primer & 220 grain Nolser partitions. I've always been in the 1 gun hunter model. It's a Remington 700 LH that I bought back in 1971 topped with a Leupold VarX-III 2.5x8. It's been my everything rifle.

I did buy a Ruger 375 for Cape Buffalo. I used it for my other grizzly hunt with Jake. Used factory Hornady 270 grain bullets on that bear.

Hunt will be over bait, shot should be @ 100 yards.

Which way would you go? Jake doesn't have a problem either way.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are more than enough.

I would buy something new and exotic.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both are more than enough.

I would buy something new and exotic.

rotflmo
True statements-both!
I hunted my grizzly the same way and I met Jake and a couple of his clients who were also coming over to Alpine Creek Lodge as well.
I used a .325 WSM and had also brought along a .300 WSM. The other hunters hunting in our group had .300 WMs, .300 Dakotas and so forth. Just use premium bullets and put the bullet in the right place. One individual who was also hunting out of Alpine Creek Lodge wounded a grizz and they never located it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
I've got a grizzly hunt scheduled with Jake Jefferson--Fourtyonesix in June. Planning on using my 30/06. Worked up a very accurate load---48.5 grains of IMR 4350, CCI primer & 220 grain Nolser partitions. I've always been in the 1 gun hunter model. It's a Remington 700 LH that I bought back in 1971 topped with a Leupold VarX-III 2.5x8. It's been my everything rifle.

I did buy a Ruger 375 for Cape Buffalo. I used it for my other grizzly hunt with Jake. Used factory Hornady 270 grain bullets on that bear.

Guarantee you, more Brownies have been killed in AK with a 30-06 than all others combined. coffee tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one topped with a really good low light scope. You'll be shooting at a dark brown or black animal in a likely shady or dim location in twilight.

Since you shoot the 30-06 more, that would be my first choice.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either one is fine. All of my brown bears except one were with the 375. The exception was a kodiak hunt where I used a 30-06 with 220 partitions because it was lighter. Have fun.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perfect Set_Up!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huh? ...

Going "Old School" is a Pre-War Win M70 in 30-06, loaded high-n-hard with 220gn RN slugs.

Best equivalent today would be Remington 220gn ammo, if you can find it.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Tough one. Clinically, the math is on the side of the 375 Ruger. It's bigger, more energy, etc. The allure of using the '06 with those long torpedo 220's is strong, though. If the guide is comfortable with you using the '06 and you want to use it, I say go for it. Like some others have mentioned, a whole pile of grizzlies have been killed with that over the last 100 years, and many didn't have the benefit of premium bullets!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
Tough one. Clinically, the math is on the side of the 375 Ruger. It's bigger, more energy, etc. The allure of using the '06 with those long torpedo 220's is strong, though. If the guide is comfortable with you using the '06 and you want to use it, I say go for it. Like some others have mentioned, a whole pile of grizzlies have been killed with that over the last 100 years, and many didn't have the benefit of premium bullets!

Who cares what the guide thinks? ... The AK Fish & Game folks say nonresident hunters don't need magnums. Non-magnum standards like the 30-06, 270, and .308 all impart plenty enough horsepower to put down the big stuff.

AKF&G also notes that most nonresident hunters can't shoot magnums very well anyway, unless maybe a particular magnum rifle is fitted with a MB to reduce recoil (and thus the 'flinches'). But MBs are frowned on due to their known infliction of auditory damage unless while hunting the guide and hunter are wearing ear pro.

quote:
The rifle you bring hunting should be one with which you are comfortable. Because of the presence of brown and grizzly bears, many hunters have been convinced that a .300, .338, .375, or .416 magnum is needed for personal protection and to take large Alaska game. This is simply not true. The recoil and noise of these large cartridges is unpleasant at best and plainly painful to many shooters. It is very difficult to concentrate on shot placement when your brain and body remembers the unpleasant recoil and noise which occurs when you pull the trigger on one of the big magnums.

It is very popular now to purchase large magnum rifles equipped with a muzzle brake. Most muzzle brakes are very effective at reducing recoil. A .375 magnum with a muzzle brake recoils much like a .30-06. Before convincing yourself that you should use a muzzle-braked rifle, consider its disadvantages. A muzzle-brake increases the muzzle blast and noise to levels that quickly damage the ear. Even when just sighting in or practicing, everyone near you at the range will find the blast and noise bothersome. Anyone near the muzzle brake when the rifle is fired may suffer hearing loss or physical damage to the ear. An increasing number of guides will not allow a hunter to use a muzzle brake because of the danger of hearing loss.

Here's the link:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ind...dfg=hunting.firearms

popcorn

All The Best ...

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Whichever rifle you have the most confidence in making a perfect shot with wins.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Colorado Bob. I would say the 220 gr in 30-06 would be YOUR best bet. You know the gun and we all should know the effect of a hard 220 gr RN. Good luck and Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Love your desire to use your tried and true ‘06 and the 220 Nosler partition. Both are indeed old school and will work great.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say the 375 Ruger falls in the old school category, but either choice will work if the shooter is up to the task!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
An increasing number of guides will not allow a hunter to use a muzzle brake because of the danger of hearing loss.

If I were a guide I would always wear ear protection that still allows verbal communication; it doesn't matter if your client has a brake or not, repeated exposure to gun shots will cause hearing loss.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
An increasing number of guides will not allow a hunter to use a muzzle brake because of the danger of hearing loss.

The danger of hearing loss is mainly due to the shock-waves created by the porting of muzzle brakes.

To avoid being hit it would be wise to stand well behind the muzzle but at times the PH will either find himself on level or even slightly forward and the results can be devastating on the eardrums.

Wearing ear-protection devices with communication system is good and well but are cumbersome and uncomfortable to be constantly worn around one's neck, to be used only when required; silicone plugs on a string would be a better option.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are many hearing aid like devices out there.

That enhance hearing but give protection from gun shots

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

The danger of hearing loss is mainly due to the shock-waves created by the porting of muzzle brakes.

To avoid being hit it would be wise to stand well behind the muzzle but at times the PH will either find himself on level or even slightly forward and the results can be devastating on the eardrums.

Wearing ear-protection devices with communication system is good and well but are cumbersome and uncomfortable to be constantly worn around one's neck, to be used only when required; silicone plugs on a string would be a better option.

Fulvio:

Reminds me of the time when we heard those two hippos brawling; they came crashing through the brush. Thinking we were being charged, I lowered my .416. You calmly looked back at me (you were to my left and slightly ahead) and said "If you touch one off, make sure I am behind you - I have already lost enough hearing."

At that point I realized I was over-reacting. One of the best memories of the best hunt of my life.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
308 with 150 grain

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I'm going with the 30/06 with the 220 grain partitions. Hunt is in June. Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good luck!! tu2
You will have a blast!!

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

enjoy the good time with a good caliber. best of the luck.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 with swift bullets could save a lot of fussing.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
.375 with swift bullets could save a lot of fussing.

True, but then that wouldn't be AK Old School.

Try the 30-40 Krag load: 220gns @ 2000fps.

No fussin', no mussin', no cussin'.

Just a DBROT. *** tu2

***DBROT -----> 'Dead Bear Right Over There.' Whistling

Now that's "Old School." popcorn

All The Best ...

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I'm flying to AK on Monday. Hunt starts on Wednesday 6/9. Jake says the brown bears are tearing up the site. Quite a few on the trail cameras. There are 2 over 9'----Some have good fur & some are rubbed. A couple of black bears are also hitting the bait. I've been checking long range weather forecast----looking good. Bob

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Good luck. Bring back a big hide. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Enjoy! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagerly awaiting the news on the hunt.

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ilw:
Eagerly awaiting the news on the hunt.

Sorry for the delay but I'm still busy scratching my mosquito bites. I'll be brief here but I'll write up a detail hunt report in a few days. The hunt with Jake Jefferson was one of the best hunts I've ever been on. It was a 2x1 hunt. The other hunter was an AR member---Dale. We went 4 for 4. 2 black bears & 2 brown bears. Dale was using a 375 H&H with 300 grain Barnes bullets & I had my 30/06 with 220 grain Partitions. Dale had a 1 shot kill on his black bear---It ran about 20 yards & we could hear the death moans. My black bear dropped at the 1st shot. Jake & I walked up on him & he was breathing & moaning. I put another in his neck. Dale's brown bear was a Tank of a bear. Front paw to front paw was 113". Dale dropped him with the 1st shot but put a following shot into him as he laid there. Jake said he could see the copper bullet the hit the bear. We found one of the bullets--it had lost a pedal but was picture perfect.
I don't know how I did it but I missed a Tank of brown bear. Maybe it was him hitting the bait barrel like Joe Frazier hit the heavy bag. That bear hit that barrel & sent it flying around the tree several times. My scope fogged up from my "heavy breathing" more like panting. He could have dunked a basketball---that's what he looked like to me and I missed him clean. His head was huge. My dream bear . The next couple on nites were dry runs for browns but the black bears were tearing up the bait. We moved to another location & I killed a nice 7 1/2' sow on my last night of the hunt. She came in about 10 PM & I put one in her just behind the shoulder @ 85 yards. She took about 3 jumps & piled up. The bullet was a pass thru. We did find a couple pieces of the copper jacket & lead in the exit hole.

The 30/06 was more than up to the task. Just put the bullet in the vitals.

I'll write more later. It was a terrific fun hunt-----hunts with Jake usually are. This was my 2nd with him. He wants me to come back & try hunting a salmon stream in the fall for another brownie-----we'll see----I'm seriously thinking about it. I love hunting those grizzly bears. The adrenaline is still pumping thru my veins !! Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was on the hunt with Bob. We had a great time. I got there a day earlier than Bob, as his first flight was cancelled. Jake and I went on out and started hunting and another pilot brought Bob in the next day. Shot my black bear on day 2 and the grizzly on day 3.

The grizzly never moved after the first shot, but he could still move his head. I shot him 2 more times until he quit moving. When we skinned it, it looked like the first shot was behind the shoulder and angled forward through the spine and offside shoulder, and then out. It was a little hard to follow as the 3 bullets were all in the shoulder-neck-spine area. We followed one bullet path and finally found the bullet with one petal broken off. By then we had it cut up so much we could not follow the other bullet. In summary, 1 went through the bear and 2 stopped inside. The scope on my rifle is a Leupold VX-R. I really like the red dot on dark colored targets or during low light.

The .375 H&H is probably more than I needed for the bear, but as only 1 of the 3 bullets exited, I think it was a good choice. And the TSX bullets always work well. I have used the same rifle for animals as small as baboon and impala and up to croc and hippo. I just like the way it works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for coming up guys! Always a good time with AR members!! Well. So far anyway. Lol

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote