THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Will the season happen scheduled to start in August

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will the season happen scheduled to start in August
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any idea about this?

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
As things sit now Alaska has a very low infection rate. I would attribute that to the fact that it hit us later and we were already shutting down schools and staying inside(kinda the opposite of what happened in NY).

It would seem to me that these measures will keep the spread rate low, but will also(?) increase the duration of the time we will be practicing these safeguards.

So.... I have heard that CV should be winding down/ wrapping up by mid June. I believe that may be the case in many places, but I’m not sure about here in Alaska.

But, come August the state is going to want to reopen schools(I teach in the largest elementary school in the state and I have contact will all 700+ students multiple times each week). I’m sure that we’ll be pretty apprehensive about the possible consequences of that so I wonder if we will be willing to welcome out of state travelers at the same time....

Sorry for the long winded post...

As far as the Fall hunting season: I don’t believe that we will be back to business as usual. But who knows...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d be amazed if we are still shut down by early June. At some point risking the Corvid is a better option than gauruntee going broke.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1395 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not believe the Governor has relaxed the quarantine restrictions yet. If you are from out of state and come to Alaska, 14 day mandatory quarantine.

Board of game made decisions on 4/14/2020 regarding bear hunts in units 8 & 9.

Thanks,

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one international hunt cancelled. I have two more I expect to be cancelled. That leaves me
With Alaska. I am concerned about that one.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
I’d be amazed if we are still shut down by early June. At some point risking the Corvid is a better option than gauruntee going broke.

Part of me wants to agree with you. That said, I’m planning for things being shut down through the summer and into the Fall in terms of my business. Granted, I’m paid to be cautious in many respects.
Trust me, I’m not saying that will happen, I’m just saying that I’m trying to be prepared in terms of what that means for my clients.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zebrazapper:
quote:

Part of me wants to agree with you. That said, I’m planning for things being shut down through the summer and into the Fall in terms of my business. Granted, I’m paid to be cautious in many respects.
Trust me, I’m not saying that will happen, I’m just saying that I’m trying to be prepared in terms of what that means for my clients.

Man I hope not. I have no way to prepare for a shut down of that magnatude.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1395 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The optimist would argue that Alaska may be spared the brunt of this and could open up in May/June. Their tourist season doesn't really begin until June, so the influx of virus laden people is delayed. Travel to Alaska in the winter is primarily cargo and business. Pretty sure you can count on one hand the number of people that go on vacation in Alaska in January.

It would be possible to manage that without infecting the state.

There is time for planning how that would look.

Hunters are a low risk since they interact with fewer folks, and are unlikely to be sick and still go. Vacationers are lower risk from that standpoint as well. I'm not likely to vacation with a 101 fever.

Just one way to look at it with some hope. As of now, I'm hunting there in late September.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s funny, you guys are worried about your adventures four or five months out. Ya guides are here right now going broke and loosing clients and income. Hoping we can afford to operate in the fall! Lol
I’ve lost 30 percent of my yearly income, so far. I know other guides who depend on spring season more than me have lost more than that. There’s no savings in a guide business, we fork out coin up front to get the season rolling. August isn’t even on my radar at this point. I’m hoping I can salvage something of my spring. Still got a family to feed between now and fall....

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Jake, this is hurting a lot of people. Some severely. It isn't just guides.

Personally, I am trying to keep my family safe and sound while at the same time doing the best I can to see that none of my employees suffer and they all get paid. This isn't an easy thing to do under the circumstances. In fact, it is downright difficult. Things I have done for clients for over 20 years , year in year out are cancelled.

Then I have clients all over the country that I have to worry about. We are doing what we can to help assure they stay on solid footing. Stressful? Hell yes it is. On top of that, I have a bunch of clients say they can't pay because their office is closed for an uncertain amount of time. Yet, my bills are still due in the normal course of business. So the money isn't coming in yet still has to go out.

I have several hunts booked. Some have been cancelled. I haven't asked for the money back from a single one. I get what this has done to the industry.

If you had money up on a hunt 4 months out, I can't believe that you wouldn't wonder about what was going to happen just as I am wondering.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s funny, you guys are worried about your adventures four or five months out. Ya guides are here right now going broke and loosing clients and income. Hoping we can afford to operate in the fall! Lol
I’ve lost 30 percent of my yearly income, so far. I know other guides who depend on spring season more than me have lost more than that. There’s no savings in a guide business, we fork out coin up front to get the season rolling. August isn’t even on my radar at this point. I’m hoping I can salvage something of my spring. Still got a family to feed between now and fall....

One of the very important reasons why you have clients to take hunting is because they worry about the $10k to $50k they spend on adventures.

If you've decided to base your families income and well being on a month of work in the spring and another month in the fall you may want to reconsider.

Posts: 9008 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez scott. Been doing this 20 years I think I’ve done ok with my business plan. Like larry said loads of folks being effected by this, I don’t think many business plans have a pandemic like this planned into it.

I was merely stating that in regards to the OP clients are worried about four months out and the guides who they need four months out are worrying about right now. That’s all.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have an incorporated small business you can file for compensation from the government for up to 2.5 Months of your salaries. I expect they will check that compensation via IRS records.If you have any employees you have not laid off then you basically do not have to repay the government. Might get with your accountant if you have one and get some guidance in getting some support.Food for thought..

Good Luck! We all need a little these days,

EZ

quote:
Geez scott. Been doing this 20 years I think I’ve done ok with my business plan. Like larry said loads of folks being effected by this, I don’t think many business plans have a pandemic like this planned into it.

I was merely stating that in regards to the OP clients are worried about four months out and the guides who they need four months out are worrying about right now. That’s all.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey Man, I know what your saying. There's a whole lot of Dillingham folks wondering what they'll do without a Bristol Bay fishing season.

I ain't gonna do much or any guided fishing and my bnb will be vacant.

But there's a lot of guys here with a diverse set of professional skills that'll make them more pandemic resistant. In my case, both the missus and I are working full time in "essential service" capacities.

There's been several economic down turns before this one and I think we can expect more to come. Let's be diversely prepared.

Posts: 9008 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
If you have an incorporated small business you can file for compensation from the government for up to 2.5 Months of your salaries. I expect they will check that compensation via IRS records.If you have any employees you have not laid off then you basically do not have to repay the government. Might get with your accountant if you have one and get some guidance in getting some support.Food for thought..

Good Luck! We all need a little these days,

EZ

quote:

Unfortunately, that money is all gone as of today. At least that is what is reported.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

Hey Man, I know what your saying. There's a whole lot of Dillingham folks wondering what they'll do without a Bristol Bay fishing season.

I ain't gonna do much or any guided fishing and my bnb will be vacant.

But there's a lot of guys here with a diverse set of professional skills that'll make them more pandemic resistant. In my case, both the missus and I are working full time in "essential service" capacities.

There's been several economic down turns before this one and I think we can expect more to come. Let's be diversely prepared.

Ya I hear ya. Little late for diversely prepared for me. All my skills work fields have been shut down. It’s gonna get ugly before it’s sexy again that’s for sure!

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
You know boredom has set in when part of the daily routine is watching Dunleavy's presser. I think he is bending that way- to open. He has already crafted a way to bring thousands of processor workers in to Cordova, King Salmon and Dillingham. Next will be the sport fishing industry. He cannot afford to let that money slip away given Alaska's financial condition.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
You know boredom has set in when part of the daily routine is watching Dunleavy's presser. I think he is bending that way- to open. He has already crafted a way to bring thousands of processor workers in to Cordova, King Salmon and Dillingham. Next will be the sport fishing industry. He cannot afford to let that money slip away given Alaska's financial condition.

That’s the vibe I’m getting as well. Turn the responsibility over to the people to make their own decisions And start moving forward. The virus isn’t going away.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're starting to see folks question the risk calculation being made.

It's a simple one for most. Live life, and risk a virus, or whither away in imaginary safety. Make no mistake, everyone will be exposed at some point.

Things are going to open whether the government likes it or not.

My daughter has gone from being bored to making housecalls for haircuts. In a week, I bet she is making more doing this than she did at the salon.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the thing is, we didn't know all about the virus, we're learning more. We physically distanced and it worked. Now we need to move forward. Let's be glad the worst didn't happen.

Hey Scott, I used to work at PPSF in the DLG in the 90's. I miss the going to the Sea Inn until you couldn't see out.

What was the price paid for reds last year? I want of be a fisherman someday when I grow up.

Posts: 456 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slim- I think it ended up about $1.70. About right Scott? This year is up in the air. With all the Fed funny money injected many restaurants say no to opening until they can seat at capacity. None of this 25% BS. Watch what happens in Cordova in two weeks. That will tell a lot for BB.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
With bonus's I think the price went to $2.

I've been told several fishing lodges have simply cancelled the season. I know one lodge operator that's coming up to house sit his lodge if nothing else. If tourism opens later this season at least he'll be here.

It seems like most of us here just at sort of walking around with blank looks on our faces. Nobody knows what's going on and the decisions for us are being made by others quite a ways away.

We are fishing and hunting and am outdoors as much as usual. I haven't bought my seasonal commercial permit for the local state park, but I've put some money and effort into gear in order to really get after the king salmon this year. With clients or family. Whatever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am told the season is on.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
That is great news.

Alaska, being late to the party and quick to isolate, has weathered this pandemic far better than most states.

Right now the State has only 35 active cases and some areas don’t have a single active case. This is great news for the health of the population but I wonder if a small spike in the numbers might put us back on lockdown.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Seems like it would sense to open the state for business but continue to make people from high risk states or countries do the 14 day quarantine. So if you're coming from or through, Italy, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, UK, etc. tell them they need to be quarantined.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4711 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told that if I can pick up my client from the airport and get them to a tent in the field that would qualify as a quarinteen location. If done before 14 days I just have to deliever them back to the airport. No hotels or sporting goods stores etc.

But alsska did just extend the 14 day quarinteen restriction till June 2 or.....??

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s great news if they allow hunting season to go on. Can’t think of a better way to spend 14 days of quarantine than in a hunting camp!

Posts: 654 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told that if I can pick up my client from the airport and get them to a tent in the field that would qualify as a quarinteen location. If done before 14 days I just have to deliever them back to the airport. No hotels or sporting goods stores etc.

But alsska did just extend the 14 day quarinteen restriction till June 2 or.....??

That wasn't Gov. Dunleavy's wish. He caved to Mayor Berkowitz of Anchorage and I think the Mayor of Juneau.

The 14 day quarantine is essential self policed anyway. I'll bet dollars to donuts the 14 day stay is lifted on June 2nd.

If not you can kiss half the sport fishing operations goodbye.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7567 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit- I just heard he might announce this at his presser tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard from my friend in Palmer today..he said the Governor is opening the state up on June 2.

I’m glad! We have a DIY caribou bow hunt planned for the dalton highway. I wasn’t sure it was going to happen..

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 14 day quarantine is a problem for him with the fishing industry. I am told that will stay until most/all of the Bristol Bay workers are in place, maybe late June. Unless he specifically targets the fishery workers which is hard to do.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Yes, things are opening up, but the travel quarantine is still in effect. 2 weeks in quarantine in Alaska on arrival and 2 weeks when back at home is a bit of a dampener on travel plans. We'll see what happens.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dunleavy just released quarantine restriction if you provide a negative C19 test result from within 72 hours prior to arrival in Alaska. So good news for All. Thinking my C19 test a few weeks ago took more than 72 hours for results.