THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Opportunities for semi-guided black bear in SE Alaska?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opportunities for semi-guided black bear in SE Alaska?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend and I are interested in doing a semi-guided black bear hunt on or near Kuiu and Kupreanof Islands. Something where we have a lodge to go to, and they give us a boat to cruise the bays looking for bears feeding on shore grass. But there's no guide on the boat with us. We're not Alaska residents so we have to draw the tag.

I was recommended Calder Mountain Lodge by a friend, wondering if anyone knows of them? Or other outfits that offer a similar experience?

Alternatively, I'm open to hearing opinions on simple boat rentals if tenting it is a better idea.

https://caldermountainlodge.com/bear-hunting/

Thanks.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Depending on the area but I don’t know of any drawings necessary for black bears and since you don’t need a guide then renting a boat for a Do,it yourself hunt should be simple
That doesn’t mean easy and few Alaskan hunts are easy

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuntingOutWest:
A friend and I are interested in doing a semi-guided black bear hunt on or near Kuiu and Kupreanof Islands. Something where we have a lodge to go to, and they give us a boat to cruise the bays looking for bears feeding on shore grass. But there's no guide on the boat with us.

SO.....What is the "SEMI-GUIDED" Part???? Is that where the bellman carries your luggage and "GUIDES" you to your room..??

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend and I are interested in doing a semi-guided black bear hunt on or near Kuiu and Kupreanof Islands. Something where we have a lodge to go to, and they give us a boat to cruise the bays looking for bears feeding on shore grass. But there's no guide on the boat with us. We're not Alaska residents so we have to draw the tag.

I was recommended Calder Mountain Lodge by a friend, wondering if anyone knows of them? Or other outfits that offer a similar experience?

Alternatively, I'm open to hearing opinions on simple boat rentals if tenting it is a better idea.

https://caldermountainlodge.com/bear-hunting/

Thanks.

Go to the A.D.F.& G. web site & read?
I also don't know of any Black Bear draw areas?
A nonresident has to purchase a tag, where us lowly Alaskans get em for free.

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Yes, we nonresidents have to draw the black bear tag for the units in the SE coastal areas of the state. Everywhere else in Alaska they're over-the-counter for us. But SE tags are in higher demand since that's where the biggest bears often are.

There are many boat rental outfits and guys will often simply rent an outboard and tent it on the islands. My friend are I are thinking for our first trip of this kind, we might be better off going with a lodge that shelters, feeds and provides boats. But we'd rather cruise and glass shorelines ourselves rather than having a guide take us out each day. That's all I mean by semi-guided.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the replies. Yes, we nonresidents have to draw the black bear tag for the units in the SE coastal areas of the state. Everywhere else in Alaska they're over-the-counter for us. But SE tags are in higher demand since that's where the biggest bears often are.

There are many boat rental outfits and guys will often simply rent an outboard and tent it on the islands. My friend are I are thinking for our first trip of this kind, we might be better off going with a lodge that shelters, feeds and provides boats. But we'd rather cruise and glass shorelines ourselves rather than having a guide take us out each day. That's all I mean by semi-guided.

Didn't realize northern seattle was your destination dancing . Look for Transporters, they can supply you with boat-based housing, meals, rental boat. Just no guiding whatsoever.

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the exact hunt you describe 6 years ago, rented a boat from and stayed at: https://caldermountainlodge.com/bear-hunting/

Hunted Kuiu and took this Bear, a great hunt, especially for the cost.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
I did the exact hunt you describe 6 years ago, rented a boat from and stayed at: https://caldermountainlodge.com/bear-hunting/

Hunted Kuiu and took this Bear, a great hunt, especially for the cost.

Nice bear but that is a pretty rifle.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Green Rocks Lodge out of Petersburg. They provide everything you are looking for at a very reasonable price. Kupreanof tags are easier to draw, and the bear are as big as anywhere in SE.

Renting a boat and camping sounds like a good option, but if you have never hunted SE Alaska it isn't as easy as it sounds. Huge tidal flows and extremely limited options for places to camp make this a trip for only the more experienced.

I hunt either Kuiu or Kupreanof almost every year, and have done so for a decade. Yes, it is possible to camp, or more commonly rent a forest service cabin. Logistics are a huge issue when coming from the lower 48, but it is a doable hunt if you can handle a boat in open water regardless of conditions. You MUST hunt with at least one other person, and the learning curve will be much quicker if you go with a lodge as you initially requested.

I've heard of Calder Mountain, nothing but good reports, but haven't used them. You might also consider a couple of the lodges at Point Baker on POW. They rent boats, provide meals and a place to sleep, etc., and will point you in the right direction.

Send me a PM if you have more specific questions. The first thing, however, is drawing the tag as you seem to understand.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might also consider a couple of the lodges at Point Baker on POW. They rent boats, provide meals and a place to sleep, etc., and will point you in the right direction.

I good definition of a semi guided hunt.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote