Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kryptek
 Login/Join

posted
How good is Kryptek for rain gear in Alaska ? I have had problems with goretex in the past.

Posts: 22 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 02 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't own any Kryptek anything other than a hat.

I have tons of experience with Schoeller fabric, and that is what the high end line of mountain gear from Kryptek is supposed to be made out of.

I would recommend that you do some research on the fabric, and then inspect the items you intend to buy for build quality (taped seams, stitching and so on).

Schoeller, Gore-Tex, and Toray are expensive fabrics and each one may not be the solution for a Kodiak island goat hunt if the weather is vertical for a week.

The Alaska solution has always been commercial rain gear like Helly Hansen or Grundens (or a better brand). But this is hot, doesn't breath and is cold and clammy. But it will be waterproof.

I have lived in Barrow, Anchorage, Fairbanks and Sitka. I feel that every inch of Alaska requires different gear than 10 miles away does.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. On the last brown bear hunt I used Helly Hanson bibs, etc, it worked great of course except unwieldy to put on and take off with boots and rain coming and going. Kryptek has the full length leg zippers which appear to be easy to use in the field.

Posts: 22 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 02 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Most commercial fishermen on the Bering sea use Grunden. And they work their asses off. If there was a better alternative, they would use it.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote