THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    A QUESTION FOR BOTH GUIDES AND CLIENTS
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A QUESTION FOR BOTH GUIDES AND CLIENTS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Well, since I started this thread and maybe to bring it back on track...

While I appreciate the predilection of Alaskan guides (as opposed to African Professional Hunters) to direct clients to carry cold, many of you here described a few scenarios where it makes perfect sense to carry cold, but I was specific in my OP:
Getting off the boat after spotting tracks and knowing bears are in the vicinity, I reserve the right to carry hot and it's something I would ask before I wrote the check for the deposit and if the answer is "no", I'll find another guide...

A fair and reasonable thing to do. Before writing the check is also when it should be talked over.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If carrying a loaded rifle is your pleasure, rather than listening to the advice of your guide, then you are free to carry a loaded rifle.
Without your guide.

And if your PH suggests you carry hot, then they probably know what they are talking about

It's that simple.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
If carrying a loaded rifle is your pleasure, rather than listening to the advice of your guide, then you are free to carry a loaded rifle.
Without your guide.

And if your PH suggests you carry hot, then they probably know what they are talking

about

It's that simple.

I think the guide gets the same say as the customer before the check is written. I have had potential customers that I preferred not to do business with for various reason, a guide should have the same option.
With Phil, as long as he had his 380, I don’t need a gun until it is time to shoot.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think "common since" is about the best we can do..I know people that carry loaded on the hunt, and Im comfortable with them. I know others Id stay in the truck while they hunted with or without a loaded gun.

I also take notice of what type of safety any hunters gun has, Im more comfortable with a 3 pos.Win. 70 type safty or milsurp Mauser safety than those sliding affairs, for what its worth..

Bottom line if Im in a hunt that includes a guide, then I do as Im told, nothing can ruin a hunt faster than ignoring a guides advise...If you don't trust your guides opinion why the hell are you booking with him at $20,000 or more in some cases, or even $5000 for that matter.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote