THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Kentucky Hunter Mauled by Brown Bear on Admiralty Island Thursday

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kentucky Hunter Mauled by Brown Bear on Admiralty Island Thursday
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://alaska-native-news.com/...sland-thursday-24371

Kentucky Hunter Mauled by Brown Bear on Admiralty Island Thursday

Alaska Native News Sep 23, 2016.

Troopers are reporting a Brown Bear mauling that took place late in the evening on Thursday on Admiralty Island involving a hunting client.

It was reported to troopers by the United States Coast Guard that they responded to the island at 2 am this morning to transport the injured hunter to Juneau for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.

According to the report, a big game guide and his client, both of whom remain un-named, were returning to the beach at approximately 8:30 pm using headlamps when they startled a brown bear, which in turn attacked the client.

The attack was brief, and the bear broke off the attack on the Kentucky hunter and left the area.

After the attack, the guide and client “continued down to the beach and back to the guide vessel,” the trooper dispatch revealed.

The attack was reported to the USCG, and they responded for transport in the early morning hours.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure seems like there are a lot more bear attacks in Alaska this year than normal. Seems like every week or two I'm hearing of another bear attack.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only hunted Brown Bear Once but the act of hunting them puts you at risk, first of all you generally walk withe the wind in your face or cross wind, you are trying to be quiet, most of the terrain is dense and unless you have a reason to have a bullet in the chamber you are empty. Now those procedures can easily make you walk up on a sleeping bear or a bear that has hunkered down figuring what you are. On several occasions we walked back on our trail in to see fresh scat on our earlier foot prints, kinda makes Bear hunting a tremendous adrenaline rush. Think of the guides they do this all the time, as much as I thought the fee was expensive it was worth it

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Sure seems like there are a lot more bear attacks in Alaska this year than normal. Seems like every week or two I'm hearing of another bear attack.

Pink salmon runs across much of the state were very poor this year. Bears are not glued to salmon streams like normal.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny story 40 years later, same island too.

In '67 Dad n Mom drove up from Colorado for brownies, moose, caribou, fishing just having a great over all trip.

He hired a local with a boat to take him across to Admiralty one after noon. Sun went down, he laid out a tarp and sleeping bag on the beach among the bear tracks.

Next day, took his .375 and crawled about 1/4 mile thru a bear tunnel in the brush. Found a pile of bear shit half as big as a 5 gal bucket. Thought it looked fresh, stuck his hand in it and it was hot. About that time: "I realized just how damned stupid I was, got out to the beach in record time and took several hours to get Dan's attention and get over there to pick me up, that was about the longest day of my life".

Never did even see a brownie, did get the moose and both of them got a caribou and lots of fishing. Then hurried down the coast to see Mom's sister in CA, then rushed home in time to go elk hunting. Got a bull with his cannon too.

Imagine getting a paid 13 week vacation and doing all that.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Yup. Poor fish runs equal hungry bears. And tho some, many , most , hungry bears may have a problem with actually eating a human . They will be cranky and cantankerous. Plus there have been a lot more fights along the criks and elsewhere over the best fishing spots. So , there will be more problems with people that are packing out deer. Any bear that smells blood or a dead deer is going to be far more attracted to it. If I were deer hunting in Southeast this year. The only rifle I would be using is my 458. Unless I happened upon a 400 Whelan.
. However. If someone /locals wants to kill a bear this year, it is a great time. Their hunger will keep them moving around more and much less cautious. They will come to a fawn bleat much faster and easier. I don't wander around in the brush without a round in the pipe. But then I mostly hunt with Rugers so the safety is actually safe.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote