THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    First time Alaska hunt suggestions?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time Alaska hunt suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Considering an Alaska hunt in 2018. I'd love to see what the members suggest as a first timer to Alaskan hunting. On the wish list are Moose, Grizzly, Caribou etc.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
A couple bits of information would really help. Are you an Alaskan resident?
Are you a US citizen?
Are you looking to book a guided hunt?
Are you looking to do a DIY hunt?
How much are you willing to spend?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Non-Resident, I'd love Ken a guided hunt, and my budget is around 20K.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I'm a U S Citizen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose, Dall Sheep, brown bear are all in that budget.
I think Jake Jefferson has hunts in that price range, and less.
If you find a guided hunt for 14 to 15 k don't forget air travel, charter flights on most hunts is required, process trophy and license and tags. That put together will be all in about $20k
Good luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I was hoping for. Any suggestions on areas to be looking at? Brown Bear outfitters? Combo Moose/Bear hunts possible etc?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

It's very unlikely you'll find a moose/bear combo in the $20,000 range but it will be much cheaper than booking two separate hunts. The suggestion I gave you lends itself easily to adding a grizzly. You shoot the moose and eventually a bear will find the gut pile. I can also arrange good moose/brown bear in Western AK in the area where I lived.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob there's a lot more that should go into this. First off day dream up what sounds like An adventure to you, float hunt, base camp hunt, backpack hunt?
Decide who and how you want to be guided...guided by an assistant guide as client number 5 in the field with a bigger outfitt or guided by the name on the business license as the only client in the field?
No hunts are 100 percent success full, find a hunt that looks like enough of an adventure that if you end up with tag soup you still have no regrets!
Have realistic expectations, I see a lot of misinformation on the forums about Alaska hunting. If the source of the information is trying to sell you something, take it with a grain of salt. Purposefully or unintentionally everyone is prone to have a edge of bias in how they communicate. Check references, talk to several guides and you will start
To get an idea on who and what style hunt you might click with and enjoy more.

Ps I'm 100% on giant everything...

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Good advice

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
How about a DIY caribou hunt in the arctic? It will be as close to 100% success as hunting gets, you'll be in the most beautiful place on God's green earth, biggest expense is the flight charter which now is about 3K, and I think you can get up to 5 bull tags if you desire. I've taken several first timers to the high arctic and they buy two tags--one for the first good bull they see and then spend the time looking for an outstading trophy.
I'm not a guide or agent and don't make a cent of this, but if this is what you'd like to consider PM me and I can give you all the details. It's a good way to get your Alaska experience first, good chance of success, inexpensive, and then learn about more specialty hunts. A great hunt for 2-3-4 friends.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Advice! Thank you all.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd gravitate towards sheep, but I'm addicted to sheep hunting. That said if a moose and/or bear is what you want that's doable. Just be aware that if shooting the biggest bear possible is a must the best areas for bear (size wise) frequently do not have moose there or do have them, but the seasons do not coincide. There's been some great moose hunting in the state over the last 3-4 years due to the mild winters IMO. Also the best (size wise) bear hunting areas have been producing some very nice bears due to conservative management. Sheep populations overall across the state are level to down somewhat in most areas. That said there are some great sheep hunts around the state with high success rates. In the right area you could probably combo a sheep, moose, and grizzly hunt all at once for a bit more money. Like $30,000 or so. You wouldn't get the biggest bear, but you'd get a chance at all three.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm also addicted to sheep hunting, and would highly recommend it to every hunter who's young and fit enough.

I'd also recommend hunting with either one or three buddies. It's best to hunt in pairs out in the bush, but three would be one person too many.

Posts: 6094 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Look at Kelly Vrem (Rough and Ready Outfitters),been with him many times. He and all his people are top shelf all the way.

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cdparker
posted Hide Post
One thing that came to mind; if you are hunting in the fall, Make sure that your camo is waterproof. Moose hunts here is SC are always like "armed camping in the rain'.

Posts: 58 | Location: Mat Valley, Alaska | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote