THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Searchers find body of hunter reported missing in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searchers find body of hunter reported missing in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...elias-national-park/

Searchers find body of hunter reported missing in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park

By Tess Williams
Updated: 4 hours ago
Published: 22 hours ago

A hunter who was reported missing last week in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve was found dead Saturday, park officials say.

David White, 40, of North Pole had last sent an InReach message on Thursday, Aug. 12, that he was about to cross Jacksina Creek in the northern portion of the park to reach a hunting area across the valley, according to a statement from the national park.

White had entered the park Aug. 6 to hunt for sheep, said park spokeswoman Carrie Wittmer. He’d resupplied and then resumed hunting on Aug. 11, she said. White had hunted in the park during previous years, Wittmer said.

On Monday, Aug. 16, park officials were notified by White’s point of contact that he had stopped communicating, Wittmer said. Rangers began a measured response, flying over the area and scanning for anyone in distress, Wittmer said. The search effort intensified when White had not returned by Thursday, the day he was due to complete his trip, she said.

Planes and helicopters from the troopers and park service searched the area, ground teams walked the area and others packrafted, the statement said.

On Saturday, packrafting searchers found White dead alongside Jacksina Creek, the park service said.

“Based on evidence found by searchers, it appears that White attempted to cross Jacksina Creek and was swept away by the current,” the statement said.

Jacksina Creek is located near the end of the Nabesna Road and is in a backcountry area that does not contain trails, Wittmer said. Conditions in the creek vary depending on the weather and water levels can change dramatically within a day, she said.

“This is a hard environment — it’s just really unforgiving, rivers, especially,” Wittmer said. “Even if you know and even if you’re super great in the backcountry, it’s just really unpredictable.”

Two backpackers died in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve in 2018. It’s believed they were swept away while crossing the Sanford River.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might be a good time to "Review" the prudent steps to crossing creeks and rivers in the backcountry.

I will get it started....Always-always-always "Unbuckle" the backpack hip-belt when crossing, even if it appears fairly shallow.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 309 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Always test the depth of the water with a wading staff or other item strong enough to brace and help you cross before stepping into anywhere. Never cross without one, ever. Face into the current when crossing, not downstream or across or you will be swept off of your feet. Go slow and take your time. Finally, if it looks too dangerous or risky, it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my first sheep off the Nabesna road - set up camp at the head of Boyden Creek - just looked at it on Google Earth - great memories.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know people do it often but I just don't think hunting in Alaska's back country alone is prudent. I hunted there often in my years in Dillingham but never alone. Dangerous animals are not really a very big concern. It's the environment. It can kill you in so many ways.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaska's environment can kill you in a 100 ways and I'm not even counting a chance bear encounter.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot my first sheep off the Nabesna road - set up camp at the head of Boyden Creek - just looked at it on Google Earth - great memories.

Hunted that area I believe in 2006 a interesting area for sure.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote