THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Mail order powder and primers in Alaska

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mail order powder and primers in Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
Currently no one here in Barrow is stocking reloading supplies. I am wondering what my options are for getting my hands on some powder and primers.

In my research it looks like some retailers in the lower 48 will ship powder and primers up this way but it looks like 6 pounds of powder and some primers is going to incur $90 in hasmat fees and probably another $90 in shipping.

I'm wondering what the rest of you guys living off the road system do to get your powder and primers.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Currently no one here in Barrow is stocking reloading supplies. I am wondering what my options are for getting my hands on some powder and primers.

In my research it looks like some retailers in the lower 48 will ship powder and primers up this way but it looks like 6 pounds of powder and some primers is going to incur $90 in hasmat fees and probably another $90 in shipping.

I'm wondering what the rest of you guys living off the road system do to get your powder and primers.

UPS ground to seattle, then barged up is the only way I know of. Talk to your grocery store owner, marine supply, lumber yard folks. Call Lynden air cargo? I realize the barge is a little tight this time of year (all the global warming) tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
I realize the barge is a little tight this time of year (all the global warming) tu2

I don't know when the barge will be running but it's a long way off.... The ice is still stacked up high on the ocean.

I found an answer to this question on another site. Alaska Ammo does bush orders. According to their site "BUSH ORDERS: From Ketchikan to Barrow, if a plane or boat goes there, we’ll deliver! "

I called them up after checking their prices online. Their prices are on par with the regular gun shops in the lower 48 and their shipping is extremely reasonable. And their service is "old school". The guy actually seemed happy to be filling my small($200) bush order instead of acting like it was a big PITA.

I saved a ton over having it shipped from the lower 48.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good for you! I just ordered two packs of BBs (Daisy-6K of BBs per pack) for my grandsons to shoot and UPS couldn't figure out how to deliver them from Sportsman's Warehouse to me. They have now ended up in UPS' lost and found. I have spent two hours on the phone with 6 different UPS reps and they're still there. Go figure. What a bunch of friggin idiots. thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
For info.

Most of the urban Alaska retailers can ship to rural AK. I just bought from Cabela's in Anchorage. I'm paying for the products, a delivery to the airport fee, a delivery to the Dillingham airport fee and a hazmat charge since it's ammunition. I think smokeless powder and primers are shippable like the ammunition, but black powder maybe not. There are quite a few hazardous goods like compressed air cylinders that ain't are banned from flying.

With the shipping and hazmat fee it is more expensive than just walking into the Anchorage store, but then that's just the way it is.

Posts: 9010 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote