Find
Notify
Tools

First Wolf of the year
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Here is a pict of my oldest son & his first wolf of 2020

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
beer love it!

Posts: 9089 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful hat, I would like one just like that. Link ?

How are those ECWS mittens doing ? Looks cold there.

Nice paint job on the rifle.
Nice Wolf.

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for saving the Moose and Bou! Geat picture!

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
Beautiful hat, I would like one just like that. Link ?

How are those ECWS mittens doing ? Looks cold there.

Nice paint job on the rifle.
Nice Wolf.

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

It was about 0 deg in the Anchor Pt. area today. A pack of 5-6 have been following in his footsteps on a Snowshoe hare snare line & have been helping them selves to the spoils. This big male is 160-170 lbs. They tied a rabbit hide from last night to a tree before daylight,
hung the remote caller from a branch in the same tree & let loose with a dying snowshoe scream. He came trotting across the swamp right to it. Shot him at 107 yds. .223 55g V-MAX at 3050 fps. He made the Hat from rabbit hides from last year.

Both My Boys are pretty wound up tu2[/QUOTE]

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Excellent job! large animal for the .223! I'm glad to see some wolves getting pressure

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Excellent job! large animal for the .223! I'm glad to see some wolves getting pressure

Same kid harvested a bunch of Spanish goats on the west side of Oahu with the same rifle & load, that 55g V-MAX put in the rib cage makes red pudding & don't exit tu2

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Beautiful wolf, tell your son congratulations. Were they able to get it on any type of certified scale? I would guess it at maybe 75-85 lbs?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also would like to have seen a scale weight.

A non certified scale would work for me.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Beautiful wolf, tell your son congratulations. Were they able to get it on any type of certified scale? I would guess it at maybe 75-85 lbs?

yup your correct it was really 20" nose to tail & 25 lbs. just like an average montanna white tail or mulie or the biggest ever on record certified documented wisconson brown bear that I like to read about. tu2
Call the Homer ADF&G talk the the wolf biologist that sealed it.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:

yup your correct it was really 20" nose to tail & 25 lbs. just like an average montanna white tail or mulie or the biggest ever on record certified documented wisconson brown bear that I like to read about. tu2
Call the Homer ADF&G talk the the wolf biologist that sealed it.

No offense meant here, it's just that there's NO wolf on the planet that weighs between 160 and 170 lb as you stated in your original post. I have shot and been around a lot of wolves. A big male would be 100 to 110 lbs but anyone picking it up guesses 140+ every time. To me that one looks like it was under a hundred pounds. The casual way that they're holding it up also gives me a clue as does the fact that it fits between the wheel wells with lots of room to spare. Whatever it weighs, it was a great hunting trip and once again congratulations to your son.

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree.

Before anyone says a lower 48 resident has no right to make a comment, I can tell you I have a life size mounted Alpha Male on casters that is heavier than that. If mine was 70-80 lbs live, I would have been able to do curls with it, two of us could lift and swing into pick up bed, but had trouble lifting it up for pics, thats with two strong guys. I could not do the standard pose of bear hugging it around and under the front legs and hold vertically for pictures, much too heavy.

Although, I have seen Wolves in the wild before in Alaska and across Canada, it was always at distance and they were moving, so I never had a good look at them. I thought before this hunt that it would be no big deal to put them down and it would be like shooting a large German Shepherd or the like and I was looking to use a .22-250, the Outfitter wanted a Deer caliber since Wolves carry lead. He has been in the business for 35 years, so I listened and used a .308 with 175 Gr., which was a good choice. Shooting a Wolf is not comparable to shooting a large dog.

If someone can walk me thru how to post photos on here I can try to post some of my Wolf. The Outfitter said it was in the top 5 Wolves for body size he could recall taking. The head was huge.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolves have a big skull and big feet.
If you see one in the summer months they practically look like a greyhound (long and lanky). All that fur makes them look large. I have heard a wolf can gorge them selves with up to 40 lbs of meet at a feeding. That is hard for me to believe but??
Take a 110-120 wolf that just had a big meal and he may approach 150 lbs but not likely a sustainable weight.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who gives a fuck how much it weighed ?

That's a superb Wolf whatever it weighed CAUSE IT'S DEAD !

Well done. awesome animal, i'd certainly choot-him, choot-him and be damned chuffed when I did !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know of an AK. Outfitter who specializes in Wolf hunts ? I feel the itch to knock a few down.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Love the hat too....gonna keep all the snowshoe pelts we kill every weekend and get one done.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
I have to disagree.

Before anyone says a lower 48 resident has no right to make a comment, I can tell you I have a life size mounted Alpha Male on casters that is heavier than that. If mine was 70-80 lbs live, I would have been able to do curls with it, two of us could lift and swing into pick up bed, but had trouble lifting it up for pics, thats with two strong guys. I could not do the standard pose of bear hugging it around and under the front legs and hold vertically for pictures, much too heavy.

Although, I have seen Wolves in the wild before in Alaska and across Canada, it was always at distance and they were moving, so I never had a good look at them. I thought before this hunt that it would be no big deal to put them down and it would be like shooting a large German Shepherd or the like and I was looking to use a .22-250, the Outfitter wanted a Deer caliber since Wolves carry lead. He has been in the business for 35 years, so I listened and used a .308 with 175 Gr., which was a good choice. Shooting a Wolf is not comparable to shooting a large dog.

If someone can walk me thru how to post photos on here I can try to post some of my Wolf. The Outfitter said it was in the top 5 Wolves for body size he could recall taking. The head was huge.

Here are a couple of picts of Cold Zero's Mount

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Wow Zero, that thing really does have a big head.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear an apex predator management objective was on its way to being met.
Just curious: What does one do with a wolf besides saving the hide and skull? No offense intended whatsoever.
Saw my first wolf in the wild two months ago: A Mexican Gray here in New Mexico.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Glad to hear an apex predator management objective was on its way to being met.
Just curious: What does one do with a wolf besides saving the hide and skull? No offense intended whatsoever.
Saw my first wolf in the wild two months ago: A Mexican Gray here in New Mexico.

A wolf in the wild smells like a septic tank being pumped on a 100 deg. day or the worst shit your dog has ever rolled in. The Kid ate the back straps & wasn't impressed. Hide is being made into a rug. Skull is in the beetles as we speak. Carcass is coyote bait tu2 Have a good one tu2

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Here is a post I made in 2011. I have smoked (pun intended) many of them since....

http://forums.accuratereloadin...761077561#9761077561

Like everything in life, I would rather have a great cook and average meat than great meat and an average cook! Smiler

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks tsturm. Good stuff, JCS.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote