THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Rainwear Recommendation for Dall Sheep in Wrangel Mtns

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rainwear Recommendation for Dall Sheep in Wrangel Mtns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I seek the wisdom of the AR board - What rainwear do you recommend for an August Dall Sheep hunt in the northern part of the Wrangel Mountains?

I have a Cabela's Gortex jacket and pants, but see many comments about Helly Hansen Impertec gear.

Thanks

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Impertech is what I use on all my hunts, if there's something better I haven't found it.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I like impertech also.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I like Helly Hansen rainwear. It's tough as hell and best of all it will keep you dry.

However speaking for myself if I am working hard it also makes me sweat like Im in a sauna.

For a expensive sheep hunt I would buy the best waterproof/breathable parka I could find.
Same for pants.
I would look at the new SITKA downpour jacket and pants. Lightweight and tough.

People will tell you that waterproof/breathable is a lie, but I know different. The key is buying QUALITY gear and then properly taking care of it to insure it stays waterproof.

Good Luck!

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
impertec as well for me, you can get it wet and hang it on a bush in the wind and it'll dry in no time, gortex anything will get wet and you hang it in a bush and wait four or five days and it might start drying out by then. impertec is super tough, flexable and doubles for hauling water, using as a ground cloth under your sleeping bag, a game bag, shoot you can even tie the legs and make a raft!! i won't wear gor tex..again. impertec listen to the wisdom from everyone else in here!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
grtx - okay now it's a four letter word!
We never say the g word in our house.
Can't go wrong with impertech.
Waterproof/breathable is an oxymoron.

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Cabela's Gortex jacket and pants, but see many comments about Helly Hansen Impertec gear.

That darn gore-tex stuff is fine for awhile. I don't buy anymore of it as the need for reapplication of the "stuff" should not be needed.

When I went after a billy some yrs back I used 10X stuff and what a joke. Still had to dry out in the tent after I got down from the mountain.

I use now Helly Hansen, do some sweating but I am dry-sweating is due to exertion- thumb

Won't even buy gore-tex boots either-oh well just my .02 or so.

regards,

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Impertech is what Alaskans use....for a good reason.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
nice sum up hardballer!

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
On another thread in the AK section I see that some outfitters are suggesting hunters wear Simms waders.

I wonder what they're made of???
Must be Impertech Wink

stir

I can't wait till spring is here!

KC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frogg Togg's.. Been there done that..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wear what your guide will be wearing. Impertech. Wink

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
Impertech. I go light as much as possible, but Impertech always goes. Picked this up from the tazidermist 2 days ago.

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKJD
Marty mount that..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
Skip did the mount. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKJD
It's got a look to it.. Now, if the two guides in your area will answer my e-mails maybe I'll get a chance at a good "Wally" this year too..
AK

One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KC Carlin:
On another thread in the AK section I see that some outfitters are suggesting hunters wear Simms waders.

Must be Impertech Wink

stir

KC
Helly Hansen hasn't made any waders out of Impertech yet, otherwise we be brainwashed into wearing them too Big Grin.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H.H. Impertech, which is finally going to be available in camo again, next summer.

Or Kool Dri.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HARDBALLER:
quote:
Originally posted by KC Carlin:

Must be Impertech Wink

stir

KC
Helly Hansen hasn't made any waders out of Impertech yet, otherwise we be brainwashed into wearing them too Big Grin.

LOL beer

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
HH Impertech is the stuff you want, any Alaskan will tell you that, but remember one thing, on a back-pack hunt you will sweat like a pig even in a down pour!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has said Sitka Gear. I have some Impertec and it just looks like it would turn you into a sweat factory b/c it's just one big chunk of rubber.
I haven't worn either yet. I am gearing up for a billie and a dall hunt this year.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I have Browning Waterproof fleece I bought back in 1996. It is Gore-Tex. It works.

Now: there is some stuff you spray on the outside of the garment to keep the moisture off the fabric, I cannot remember the name offhand, I will post it later.

I telephoned Gore-Tex and told them I had a leaking problem, they told me if water is held against the fabric, it cannot evaporate, hence the wet feeling. Obviously, this is going to be a problom on a backpack hunt. What I have found though is once the backpack is off, the "wet" area rapidly dries.

I like Gore-Tex, but this is just my opinion and all that entails.

It is true the rubber rainwear will keep you dry, but you need to think about getting rid of all the moisture that will build up underneath. Ask your guide/outfitter.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Impertech. However, I have seriously considered the Swazi line of gear.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Ross - I wore HH Impertech on my mid-Aug Dall/moose hunt in the Wrangell's. It rained 12 out of 15 days, but I stayed dry. Except when climbing, as has been stated, it was like a sauna. It has been ~6 years and I still cannot get the funky smell out!

When we comm'ed, I forgot you were hunting there...I would not wear them for Dall elsewhere (Cabelas packable jacket was fine in the NWT and it rained there a bit), but in the southern Wrangell's, yes. Later in the season, yes. Northern area in August...talk with your outfitter and ask him "HH or Gortex" and see what he says (money is on the HH!). Bill

Here's a few picts from that trip: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8521043/m/446100035

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
My brothers and I all us HH ImperTech. It duels great as the perfect wind break when you sit down to glass all sweaty and that cold wind picks up. There is lighter stuff but nothing that is as durable.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote