Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska draw hunts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I'm on my third year in Alaska and having lived in remote areas I haven't paid attention to the draw hunts.

I'm planning to move onto the road system this coming year so I figured that it was time to start paying attention. When the results came out this last week I was shocked at the number of guys who were angry at now drawing any tags, and who seemed to plan on sitting out the year and not doing any hunting.

So, what gives? Hunting for all of the common animals is available to residents each year, so why are these guys willing to sit out the year just because they didn't draw a limited tag?

I guess having lived in Wyoming I just can't understand sitting out a year, when there are general tags available. In Wyoming/Colorado/Utah the draw hunts tended to be in premium units, or were structured to reduce hunting pressure, or both. But if you didn't draw a tag, you went with your plan B and hunted on one of the over the counter general tags(if available).

So I guess my real question is: what makes the draw hunts so desirable? I know that some are managed for trophy quality. But it seems that there is more to it than that if not drawing a tag is keeping guys from hunting at all. Does it boil down to an access issue? Are guys wanting to draw so that they can drive to the hunting area instead of flying/boating/hiking in? Are they staying home because they don't have a boat or don't want to fork out the cash for a flight?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
I think you nailed it. Many AK residents want to hunt from the road system, and these are typically draw hunts. Even as a resident, fly out hunts aren't cheap, and many are not willing to pay the cost of a flight service just to hunt for meat.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
Jason,
I think you nailed it. Many AK residents want to hunt from the road system, and these are typically draw hunts. Even as a resident, fly out hunts aren't cheap, and many are not willing to pay the cost of a flight service just to hunt for meat.
Bill

And that's your experience from Utah?

I put in for drawing permits as does my wife. They, for us, are the holy grail. Joyce drew the coveted Delts Bison permit once that I've been putting in for over twenty years,

We NEVER plan on drawing these tags and have back up plans if we don't. For us the draws are about the coveted areas or game.

Cheers
J&J

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

I put in for drawing permits as does my wife. They, for us, are the holy grail. Joyce drew the coveted Delts Bison permit once that I've been putting in for over twenty years,

We NEVER plan on drawing these tags and have back up plans if we don't. For us the draws are about the coveted areas or game.

Cheers
J&J

Jim, that is similar to my way of thinking as far as my personal hunting. I can't see sitting out the year just because I didn't draw a limited tag. And if I have to spend a few thousand to fly in then I will.

So to ask it another way: why in the heck would these guys get upset about not drawing a tag and sit out for a year? What exactly do they think that they are missing by having to go the over the counter route if they don't draw that tag?

I know that there are trophy managed sheep areas, and of course bison and musk ox are draw only, but it sure seems like there are more than enough over the counter options to keep a guy busy.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I'm on my third year in Alaska and having lived in remote areas I haven't paid attention to the draw hunts.

I'm planning to move onto the road system this coming year so I figured that it was time to start paying attention. When the results came out this last week I was shocked at the number of guys who were angry at now drawing any tags, and who seemed to plan on sitting out the year and not doing any hunting.

So, what gives? Hunting for all of the common animals is available to residents each year, so why are these guys willing to sit out the year just because they didn't draw a limited tag? so why are these guys willing to sit out the year just because they didn't draw a limited tag?

I guess having lived in Wyoming I just can't understand sitting out a year, when there are general tags available. In Wyoming/Colorado/Utah the draw hunts tended to be in premium units, or were structured to reduce hunting pressure, or both. But if you didn't draw a tag, you went with your plan B and hunted on one of the over the counter general tags(if available).

So I guess my real question is: what makes the draw hunts so desirable? I know that some are managed for trophy quality. But it seems that there is more to it than that if not drawing a tag is keeping guys from hunting at all. Does it boil down to an access issue? Are guys wanting to draw so that they can drive to the hunting area instead of flying/boating/hiking in? Are they staying home because they don't have a boat or don't want to fork out the cash for a flight?

Thanks in advance.

In my 25 yrs on the Kenai, Every one I know puts in for whatever permit they want, if they get one great, if not they still hunt here during the regular season. I have not seen your statement in action? As far as the drawings, the season is earlier/later than general & less idiots in the field at one time. Maybe I am missing something?
dancing coffee tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:

In my 25 yrs on the Kenai, Every one I know puts in for whatever permit they want, if they get one great, if not they still hunt here during the regular season. I have not seen your statement in action?

No, I think that I an the one missing something. As I read the answers here and over on 24hcf I realized that I am probably hearing a vocal minority bitching and moaning on FB, and acting like not getting drawn is the end of the world(several guys said that the hunting in Alaska "sucks". That probably should have been my cue to ignore them). A lot of them want to blame F&G for giving all the tags out to F&G employees, call for a points system, etc.

Anyway, I appreciate you guys answering my questions and putting things into perspective.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

In my 22 years in AK I heard a lot of bitching about limited hunting opportunities for folks living on the road system. Well! Those folks chose to live on the road system for whatever reason so they have to accept what's available to them or spend some money to get out to where the crowd thins out. Hunting in Alaska is not easy even if you live in the bush.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Jason,

In my 22 years in AK I heard a lot of bitching about limited hunting opportunities for folks living on the road system. Well! Those folks chose to live on the road system for whatever reason so they have to accept what's available to them or spend some money to get out to where the crowd thins out. Hunting in Alaska is not easy even if you live in the bush.

Mark

I saw the same thing when I was stationed in the Army; guys never wanted to spend the money. I did shoot a Dall off the Nabensa road and a grizzly in the Crystalline hills on a walk in, but I flew to Kotz (flew for free Space A on a C130) every year for caribou and flew for sheep after my walk in.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Hell it is the same here in New Mexico.

I don't understand guys that only put in for one or two species of animal, and then are pissed when they don't draw a tag.

I put in for everything in the state, and everything in three other states.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Jason,

Mark

Absolutely!! Spent a fair amount in Dillingham for gear to get us where we needed to be. That said, I killed decent Brown Bear for $25 (the tag at the time) and a $700 RT air taxi trip.

Now you would be lucky to fly RT ANC to DLG for less than $800.

Last fly-in I did for sheep cost me over $3500 with no success other than the experience.

Last Goat hunt on Kodiak from Anchorage all in cost me about $4,000. Still priceless considering the cheapest guided hunt would start at $9,000 without any logistics.

Joyce and I will continue to put in for the "once in a lifetime" coveted tags as long as our 67 year old bones can drag us.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
same problem here from your little neighbour territory. but lucky bison are no more on draws. with what we have OTC an hunter can be busy most of the year.

the problem we have is except 2 operators nobody wants to fly the locals where outfitters operated even if they re on that particular but one you knoe that there is still many places to go.

Posts: 1731 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote