Brown bear hunt or Sh@t happens
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HUNTER- Larry Shores

OUTFITTER- Erik Salitan of Bushwhack Alaska

DATES- late September 2019

AREA- near Lake Illiamna

General comments- this trip has been on the agenda for about 5 years . Given my work schedule, a spring hunt is not possible for me.

Erik is now based out of a lodge right on the lake. It is quite nice. He guides a variety of other species as well. These include sheep, moose, caribou and grizzly. He also guides fishing.

The Lake- it is MASSIVE. Frankly it scares the hell out of me. I have exactly zero desire to be out on it.

The hunt- they took me to a place where they had seen a truly massive bear. To make a long story short, the weather sucked and the terrain was far more difficult than they thought. For example, it took us 1.5 hours to cover 500 yards. We discussed it and decided to move all factors considered.

There was a problem. I was starting to get a sore throat. This got far worse. I totally lost my voice. I was getting congested heavily. To me, the most concerning thing was that I was out of breath from doing just about anything. Keep in mind that I was backpack sheep hunting about 2
weeks ago. Something was wrong. Bad wrong .

We saw 5 shooter bears in basically half a day. I really didn’t think I could physically make it to them in my condition . I sat there on a knob glassing with the wind howling about 25 MPH and about 40 degrees outside. I thought this cannot be good for me.

I decided to hike back to the tent , get something to eat and call my wife. She is a hand surgeon. As soon as she heard my voice, she told me to get out of there ASAP.

This is quite disappointing. There were a total of 6 clients in the field. In the first 2 days, 3 of them took bears. I have little doubt all the others will as well.

As I said sh@t happens. While disappointing, it was the right call.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your hunt going south. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

I have to admire what you go through to prepare for a hunt, your grit while doing it and your honesty about yourself. Age creeps up on us all unfortunately. Roll Eyes

I'm about the same age and my knee blew up last year which ended my hunting for the season. This year I finally had to admit I need to take it easier to be able to stay in the game. I pretty much hunt only in the mountains at home and hike for each one. The idea of not being able to just go where I want when I want doesn't set well. I didn't even put in for draws or book any guided hunts until I know where I'm at with my knee.

Hang in there Larry and keep doing what your doing I'm sure sure you will catch your second wind soon. Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I am sure it is just some upper respiratory bug.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Geez, that’s a tough break.

Any indication as to what brought your illness on?

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about that Larry. I hope you are OK?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Geez, that’s a tough break.

Any indication as to what brought your illness on?

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks.

If I had to guess, being on 3 flights covering about 6,500 miles was the issue. I got exposed to something and was run down. Bad combination.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Shores: Get well. Let us know when you got it behind you.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Saw a doctor today. Just your basic upper respiratory infection. Sleeping on the wet ground and sitting on the side of a hill in a 25 MPH wind while it was about 40 degrees outside didn’t help. While it was hard, it was the right call.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

I sometimes wonder how you do it. Get well soon.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry
Sometimes it's better to live and fight another day. However I know that time forever shortens for all we "mature" hunters but wishing that you can get back to it, maybe next season, to complete unfinished business. I am sorta in a similar situation. Had knee surgery this year and as recovery needed more time had to postpone a BC Goat hunt. Yes, that hurts but luckily the outfitter was completely accommodating so should be all go same time next year.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Saw a doctor today. Just your basic upper respiratory infection. Sleeping on the wet ground and sitting on the side of a hill in a 25 MPH wind while it was about 40 degrees outside didn’t help. While it was hard, it was the right call.

I know it sucks for your body to fail you. I think I can say we, I know I am, glad it is not too serious, you are safe home, and on the mend.

Thank you.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it sucks you had to come home but at least you got to go.
think about all the others that don't get that chance.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sincerely appreciate the concern everyone.

I feel better today . I believe if I had stayed I might not.

I don’t know if anyone remembers me giving away the Arctic grizzly hunt. Well, I juggled this hunt so I could go on that hunt. I ended up not going on the Arctic grizzly hunt because I had so much going on. I gave it to Bobby Lowe. Now this. These two Alaska hunts were certainly a financial disaster. I would like to have all that money, take it to Vegas and bet on black! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I feel for you. I am 0 for 4 on brown bears. I have spent more money on nothing than anything I have done. Hosed by 2 outfitters and no bears on the other two.
I doubt I do it again as it just is not worth it when Africa is calling.
I feel for you. Get well.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Larry,
I feel for you. I am 0 for 4 on brown bears. I have spent more money on nothing than anything I have done. Hosed by 2 outfitters and no bears on the other two.
I doubt I do it again as it just is not worth it when Africa is calling.
I feel for you. Get well.

Thanks Ross.

I saw 5 shooters between 8 and 11:30 yesterday morning. This is why I was surprised at your results.

I am going to do one more sheep hunt . Africa is calling me as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is tough.

Glad you are doing better.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sorry you came down with the crud Larry! Something we all dread but if you go enough it happens to us all. Hope you are feeling tip top soon!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir. On my way home now.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this Larry. I’ve got a few years on you and consider myself lucky to have never been stricken ill during my travels to Africa (5), China and many trips to Europe. My only trip to Homer Alaska I puked my guts out, but that was on a charter boat in rough seas fishing for Halibut. Hope you can make it back to Alaska and bag a 10 footer.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always go to the Doctor for a quick check and a pack of antibiotics just in case. He usually prescribes a Z pack, which is a good general drug effective for many common ailments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Scott. Usually carry two different types of antibiotics to cover the whole spectrum. Twice going to Africa I came down with "Travelers Flu" which was not a picnic. Those long flights in a germ factory are risky. Looking like a germophobe, I now wipe down everything in my seat area.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Agree with Scott. Usually carry two different types of antibiotics to cover the whole spectrum. Twice going to Africa I came down with "Travelers Flu" which was not a picnic. Those long flights in a germ factory are risky. Looking like a germophobe, I now wipe down everything in my seat area.

I think the 3 flights totaling approximately 6,500 miles is what got me. Interestingly, my wife does the exact same drill in terms of wiping things down.

I usually carry several medicines with me including a broad spectrum anti-biotic. I left them in my small carry on bag for my sheep hunt which was only about 2 weeks before. My dumb ass didn't look assuming they were I the there still. My wife, thinking she had done me a favor, took them out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was there not the option to rest up at the lodge for a while and see if it passed so you could still salvage the trip? Get ya outa the elements and into a bed at least?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Was there not the option to rest up at the lodge for a while and see if it passed so you could still salvage the trip? Get ya outa the elements and into a bed at least?

I did spend most of a day in the lodge. Got a hot shower, over the counter medicine and a long nap.

Once I got back in the field, I got so much worse that I needed to see a doctor and see one soon. I was getting worse quickly. My voice was gone. Anything I did got me winded. Keep in mind that two weeks ago, I was backpack sheep hunting.

The guide said my demeanor had totally changed. He could also see the physical deterioration.

I consulted my wife who is a surgeon. She thought I needed to get out and see a doctor. I had already come to that conclusion.

I did the right thing. As much as I hated it, it was the right thing. I could hardly stand up by the time I got to the hotel. Even today, after being on medications for three days, I am I rough shape.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you get to feelin better soon !

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your bad luck Larry. Frowner Get well friend! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I am well enough to be deer hunting this weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I fully get it. When we hit about 65, things happen and you just don't heal up fast. Has happened to me in my joints. Not "unto death" but seriously uncomfortable.

I have one or two mountain hunts left in me. One will be in Mongolia and the other in Mexico or Pakistan. Not sure. But, this I know, unless the Alaska and Canadian guys can get an extra body to help tote heavy packs for us older guys then I won't be back there.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Larry,
I fully get it. When we hit about 65, things happen and you just don't heal up fast. Has happened to me in my joints. Not "unto death" but seriously uncomfortable.

I have one or two mountain hunts left in me. One will be in Mongolia and the other in Mexico or Pakistan. Not sure. But, this I know, unless the Alaska and Canadian guys can get an extra body to help tote heavy packs for us older guys then I won't be back there.

I hear you.

I have another Alaska backpack hunt in August when I will be 3 months shy of 65. I am seriously questioning the wisdom of that one . I have a Pakistan trip in 2021. That should be easier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets go to Pakistan as a group. Danish would like the extra $$$.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

Isn't that the truth. tu2 I'm just past turning 68, and while doing some serious hiking during the last couple of weeks in Alaska I was reminded of that. Frowner What usually took me an hour to do, took closer to two. I had to constantly remind those who were with me (in their mid-30's-to slow down a little bit for me. I felt bad about it, but I didn't want to lag far behind everyone else) I was able to make it, just slower. I dread the time when I can't do it at all any longer. At that point they might as well put me out on the mountain, forget about me for a couple of weeks and then go back and retrieve the carcass. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that just SUCKS! Better luck next time.
Hope you are feeling better.....

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

Isn't that the truth. tu2 I'm just past turning 68, and while doing some serious hiking during the last couple of weeks in Alaska I was reminded of that. Frowner What usually took me an hour to do, took closer to two. I had to constantly remind those who were with me (in their mid-30's-to slow down a little bit for me. I felt bad about it, but I didn't want to lag far behind everyone else) I was able to make it, just slower. I dread the time when I can't do it at all any longer. At that point they might as well put me out on the mountain, forget about me for a couple of weeks and then go back and retrieve the carcass. rotflmo

I was huffing and puffing up and down the mountains in BC in August in search of stone sheep. There is no way my 63 year old behind could keep up with those guides who were very early 30’s at the oldest . I apologized one day for my inability to keep up. One of the guides indicated that I had nothing to apologize for. He said he hoped when he was my age he was still hunting anything much less sheep. I felt a little better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He who is smart live to hunt another day. Could have been strep throat or start of epiglottitis or pneumonia, influneza. You made the right call and could have turned sour quickly if any of those were the case. Hopefully outfitter will work something out with you. Glad you are on the mend

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dread the time when I can't do it at all any longer. At that point they might as well put me out on the mountain, forget about me for a couple of weeks and then go back and retrieve the carcass.

No need for a body bag, a sack to carry the scattered bones will be enough! Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
He who is smart live to hunt another day. Could have been strep throat or start of epiglottitis or pneumonia, influneza. You made the right call and could have turned sour quickly if any of those were the case. Hopefully outfitter will work something out with you. Glad you are on the mend

Some people have died by not paying attention to this type of thing. Notably Jim Henson of the Muppets fame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Alaska three times. Every hunt was successful however all were physically difficult and the weather unpredictable.
Only thing similar with Africa and Alaska is the both start with an A.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I’m right on your heels you old dogs and I agree, them hills get a bit steeper every year, the stupid “ not feeling right “ stuff gets more uncomfortable and a bit harder to get through quickly as well.
PS...you tougher them most of us Larry

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I have hunted Alaska three times. Every hunt was successful however all were physically difficult and the weather unpredictable.
Only thing similar with Africa and Alaska is the both start with an A.

EZ

Amen!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Some people have died by not paying attention to this type of thing. Notably Jim Henson of the Muppets fame.

Larry, does travel/trip insurance cover such things? I have been lucky so far, but as I get older, I worry about the day that I get really sick or injured on or just before a major trip. I thought you might have navigated some of these issues. Any thoughts?

Did Erik provide any sort of rain check or what do outfitters usually do in these circumstances? I feel for you and those involved.