Find
Notify
Tools

Pay it forward.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Or is it Play it forward. This was in the pile of 100's of books on war and hunting that my dearly departed friend had.

Just post something about how you started hunting or just shooting. I'll randomly pick one out and send you the book.

My pop started hunting and shooting with his best friend (my god father) when they were 19-20 years old. I remember going with them when I was 6 or 7. If anyone knows Roundtop or Cairo, NY that is probably where I first shot a 22 rifle.

Almost forgot: contest runs till Sunday 3/3

Posts: 6348 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
sorry I had a diverticulitis attack. should be back in action soon

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Get well soon Amigo.Girlfriend has the same syndrome.
It is not any fun.Get back in touch when you are feeling up to snuff.Whenever.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Nobody in my family hunted or fished. Not Dad or brothers.

My high school football coach took me quail hunting in the hills north of Los Angeles just south of Pyramid lake when I was 15. I was hooked, that was 43 years ago.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To hell with the contest. I fired my 1st 22 rifle when I was 12 up in Wichita Falls.My Aunt Bernice had a big spread out in the country.We were all up visiting when my Uncle Warner (not married to her) was asked to kill a rat that she had in the barn.it would hide in her car engine + when she started the car it would jump out + run a rafter (rats always use the same pattern).She had an old Stevens single shot + Uncle Warner nailed him on the rafter like he was at Coney Island.Afterwards he took me out to shoot at cans.I had never shot a gun before as my mother was afraid of them since some distant cousin had killed himself doing something stupid.But you know how Mothers are.Anyway,when I picked up that little rifle,I just fell in LOVE! I can't describe the feeling that I experienced;it was so natural + I knew just what to do although I had never held one before. I'm grateful that that love has never left me over the next 55 years. So for me when asked by my liberal friends (+I do have quite a few) what I have against Hillary,my standard response is that I have no use for someone who's sole agenda is to eradicate my life style.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
If anyone knows Roundtop or Cairo, NY that is probably where I first shot a 22 rifle.

Almost forgot: contest runs till Sunday 3/3

Roundtop is just up the road from me.

I grew up in a non-hunting family, Mom wouldn't allow a gun in the house. Took up bowhunting at age 14.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After that upbring I decided to raise my sons differently + realized them to be shooters + hunters + to have a code of rules + standards. Case in point; they needed to be 10 before they got their own 22 rifles. A few years ago I bought a few of those 22 Martinis from SKB + I was going to give it to my grandson when he turned 10. He kinda rolled his eyes sideways to me + said, "Well, I'm ALMOST 10". I still firmly believe that a young boy's 1st rifle should be a 22 single shot. In truth, it's either loaded or it's not.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I had access to the family Winchester Model 67 single shot since forever . My grandfather used to take me along with him rabbit hunting from as far back as I can remember , and I got my first "own" rifle I was working in Western Australia at the age of 19 - which is over 40 years ago now.
My own kid started on singles shot rifles from the time he was big enough to squint down the sights and yank the trigger. Now , at 20 , he is a safe and very proficient rifleman. Just wish he would buy his own ammo though.....

Never got to own that Model 67 though - the downside to falling out with the parents eh .....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzza, I can relate to that. My sons are 40,37,+ 20 years of age + since I reload + they don't, guess where the ammo comes from.No worries, I don't mind but it would be good if they learned how to. I won't be around forever + they are sitting on a potential gold mine in the way of presses + components that have taken me 50 years to accrue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, kinda forgot where this started. Who won the book? No biggie on my end as I already have the hard copy but just curious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Muzza, I can relate to that. My sons are 40,37,+ 20 years of age + since I reload + they don't, guess where the ammo comes from.No worries, I don't mind but it would be good if they learned how to. I won't be around forever + they are sitting on a potential gold mine in the way of presses + components that have taken me 50 years to accrue.

exactly! mine are in their high 30s and have no clue how to assemble a round. sure can shoot em though. they only know that stores sell pre rolled cause i don't load shotshells anymore. my 6 yr old grandson has literally (helping me) loaded more ammo and has more knowledge on the subject than they do. i only hope that i last long enough to see him old enough to be taught the basics and then some so that he can continue on his own. i started reloading on my own at age 16 in the 60s and have learned how much i still don't know since being on AR. oldest son is just now finishing building my shop where we will be moving and it has enough room to put all my reloading stuff plus my kawasaki mule and have half enough space left over. maybe the sons will take more of an interest then. right now i'm real crowded.

Posts: 1529 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I thought everyone gave up after I was away (in the hosp) for a week.

Greg K
Is the guy with all the shipping containers still doing business in Saugerties?

I'll pick a post on Sunday for the book.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its Sunday

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My apologies I was just pulling your chain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never felt bad about my kids shooting my reloads but I kinda draw the line when I was loading + casting for my brother in law in 40 cal.to the tune of quite a bit of pistol ammo. I had no problem doing that for him, but that came to a screaming halt when I found that his grandson + buddies came over one Saturday + shot it all up + then wanted to know when there would be more ammo to shoot. That is when everything came to a halt. I have been told from friends that I have the poatience of Job but that was beyond the pale.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
5 people I used a Random number gen

Muzza won.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good. Read it in good health Muzza!

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Remington model 512 (Single shot 22)...Dad got it for me when I was 6 years old in McNary Arizona. He had the stock cut off short to fit me. The rifle and cut off piece of stock were around the house when I left home after undergraduate school. When Mom died years later the rifle was not around the house....don't know where it went. Wish I still had it.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
One of my earliest memories was with my oldest brother teaching me how to shoot with a Daisy model 25.
I remember shooting at the bottom od old soda bottles and wine bottles and if they were hit right and the correct thickness they would make a roundish looking pyramid or sphere.
Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3063 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote