THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Left Hand Zastava M98 Mausers
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Hand Zastava M98 Mausers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just listed a 6.5X55 with an especially nice stock on gunbroker. I can't link to it here, but you can find it by searching for left hand Mauser, or Mauser, left, as one poster did. I sold a .375 yesterday, but I have another one ready to post as soon as the camera's battery charges. So far, popularity goes to .458, .375, 9.3X62, .30/06, 6.5X55, 7X57 and .270 in that order. I haven't sold a 300 Win yet. They probably will be popular for one-gun African plains game hunts as well as donor rifles for other magnum calibers. I wonder if one would work for .404 Jeffrey.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trigger Adjustment is in the Interarms Mark X manual:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/interarms_mkx.pdf

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I swapped out the stock that was on the .375 on gunbroker because I had several inquiries for a lighter gun. I put the heavy stock on my .458. Now it weighs 8 lb, 11 oz and the .375 weighs a little over 8 pounds. Better all around I think. In the process of taking the guns apart, I discovered that the bottom metal on the .375 is opened up to handle the longer .375 cartridge. That isn't needed on the .458. Incidentally, the .375 and .458 are drilled and tapped for an aperture sight just in front of the bolt handle. A Lyman 57 WJS, which was made for the Win 54 and 70, as well as the Remington 721 and 722, will fit this rifle. I happen to have one of the sights, and I may put it to use.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I got to take my 375 to the range yesterday morning. I am very impressed with the accuracy. I took two boxes of factory stuff; one of 300gr. Hornady DGX and one of 300gr Nosler Partition Federal Premium. I also took some handloads using 270gr Hornady Interlocks over RL15 with charge weights from 68 to 71gr.

Not serious range work but I am very pleased!

I zeroed the rifle @ 100yds using the Hornady ammo. I had bore sighted it at home and was able to get in dialed in with 5 shots. I then shot for groups with the Hornady and Federal. Both shot about 2". Point of impact did not change much between the DGX and the NP. I was very surprised because I felt the DGX were hotter than the Federal.

With the handloads, the rifle really shined. It shot the 68gr to about 1.5", the 69gr closed up to about 1.25" and I found the sweet spot at 70gr. 3 shot cloverleaf with a 4th & 5th shot no more than half an inch outside of it. The 71gr loads seemed to open back up a bit. It very well could have been me though as my shoulder was pretty beat up by this time. Guess I'm not as tough as I used to be!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just put up a right hand Zastava.30/06 on gunbroker if you have any friends who operate from the other side. This one has some nice figure in the stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got the scope I wanted mounted on my 30-06 and was able to zero the rifle and get an idea what it will do.

The scope is a TRUGLO 3x12 by 44mm. It is very clear and sharp, and has a BDC reticle that is lighted and equipped with a rehostat for brightness control. You also have the option of a red or green reticle with this scope, depending on which way you rotate the dial to light the reticle. The scope has 1/4 minute clicks, and after bore sighting at the gun shop, it only took four shots to be zeroed. The scope definitely tracks accurately, and at about a hundred twenty bucks from Natchez Shooters Supply, it is not only a bargain, it is an outright steal.

I used two different loads for testing. One is milsurp 168 grain fmj with an LC69 head stamp. The other ammo was some ten year old Federal Premium loaded with 165 grain Nosler Partitions. I had twelve of those.

The milsurp ammo went into a 5 shot group of 1.540 inch at 100 yards. The Federal Premium went 1.238 for five, impacting 1 1/2 inches to the left and one inch lower than the milsurp ammo. Both are entirely satisfactory for me, especially since I still don't have the trigger adjusted, and it is still out of the box.

Now. The best part, and why I wanted to use this scope on this rifle. Set to hit dead on at 200 yards, the next crosshair is dead on at 300, the next one is on at 400, and the fourth one is on at 500. Testing on a 200 meter steel chicken, I had a center hit. Swinging to the 300 meter steel pig, I hit it three inches below dead center, and my 410 yard turkey rewarded me with another hit using the next crosshair. Finally, a single shot using the 500 yard crosshair rewarded me with a hit 4 inches from dead center on my 504 yard gong.

What I have with this rifle/scope combination is a 600 yard package that doesn't require special turrets or a lot of turret twisting. Just range the distance and use the appropriate reticle in the scope, and the rifle delivers.

This is an accurate, reliable rifle with no failures to feed or eject to this point. It is what I had hoped for and certainly measures up to my expectations going into the project.

Thank you, Allan.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
I finally got the scope I wanted mounted on my 30-06 and was able to zero the rifle and get an idea what it will do.

The scope is a TRUGLO 3x12 by 44mm. It is very clear and sharp, and has a BDC reticle that is lighted and equipped with a rehostat for brightness control. You also have the option of a red or green reticle with this scope, depending on which way you rotate the dial to light the reticle. The scope has 1/4 minute clicks, and after bore sighting at the gun shop, it only took four shots to be zeroed. The scope definitely tracks accurately, and at about a hundred twenty bucks from Natchez Shooters Supply, it is not only a bargain, it is an outright steal.

I used two different loads for testing. One is milsurp 168 grain fmj with an LC69 head stamp. The other ammo was some ten year old Federal Premium loaded with 165 grain Nosler Partitions. I had twelve of those.

The milsurp ammo went into a 5 shot group of 1.540 inch at 100 yards. The Federal Premium went 1.238 for five, impacting 1 1/2 inches to the left and one inch lower than the milsurp ammo. Both are entirely satisfactory for me, especially since I still don't have the trigger adjusted, and it is still out of the box.

Now. The best part, and why I wanted to use this scope on this rifle. Set to hit dead on at 200 yards, the next crosshair is dead on at 300, the next one is on at 400, and the fourth one is on at 500. Testing on a 200 meter steel chicken, I had a center hit. Swinging to the 300 meter steel pig, I hit it three inches below dead center, and my 410 yard turkey rewarded me with another hit using the next crosshair. Finally, a single shot using the 500 yard crosshair rewarded me with a hit 4 inches from dead center on my 504 yard gong.

What I have with this rifle/scope combination is a 600 yard package that doesn't require special turrets or a lot of turret twisting. Just range the distance and use the appropriate reticle in the scope, and the rifle delivers.

This is an accurate, reliable rifle with no failures to feed or eject to this point. It is what I had hoped for and certainly measures up to my expectations going into the project.

Thank you, Allan.

If the Federal Premium hits 1" lower and 1 1/2" to the left of the Milsurp, how do you know if either will impact exactly at the preset stadia marks?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the zero at 100 yards with the milsurp ammo and then used it to shoot across the course. It shot at or very close to the stadia marks. I then shot the Federal Premium at 100 yards, and as noted, it shot just a bit low and left of the milsurp ammo. I did not shoot the Federal across the course. However, I feel that if I adjusted the zero of the scope to give the same impact with the Federal as with the milsurp ammo, then it would be in concert with the stadia crosshairs.

I do not want to imply that the rifle shot both kinds of ammo to the same point of impact. I only want to point out that it groups well with both types, and that it did in fact shoot to the stadia crosshairs at longer range with the ammo on hand.

I honestly believe that with a better trigger adjustment the rifle will shoot sub moa with no problem. Stay tuned.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot my first run imported LH 7 X 57 with 49 Gr H 4350 and 140 Grain Nosler Accubond 3 shots .51 ". Shoots the 145 grain Speer around 3/4" but 2" hi and 4 " left. Bedded with a neutral forend pressure and reworked stock neat rifle.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. I finally sat down and adjusted the triggers on both my Zastavas, the 375 H&H from KVAR and the 30-06 from Allan.

I took the 30-06 to the range and the trigger adjustment definitely improved the group size. The Federal premium went into .640 at 100 with the last three rounds of that ammo I had. The milsurp wants to stay at 1.5 to 1.65, and I can live with that.

The best news is that the milsurp hammers the 200, 300, 400, and 500 yard silhouettes using the stadia cross hairs in the scope. Two shots on the turkey gave to back hits on the 410 yard silhouette in 3 inches.

Definitely a keeper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am now down to a few each rifles left in caliber 9.3X62, 270, 300 Win, 375 H&H, and one 7X57. There is one of each on gunbroker for sale.

I'm going to take one of the 300 Winchester rifles and have it rebarreled with a Lothar Walther barrel in 404 Jeffrey. The action and magazine will have to be opened up for the longer cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have to post progress pictures of the 404. Sounds very interesting. New stock or re-do factory?

Posts: 33 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to open up the barrel channel on the factory stock, put in a stock reinforcing bolt and glass bed it. If it holds up that will be fine. But I ordered a Boyds laminated stock just to try it. So I have a backup stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
will it be easier to use directly a 375hh action?

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly a 375 action would be easier to use. But those guns are in high demand. The 300 win, not so much. And the 300s cost less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have a few guns in 270, 300 win, 9.3X62 and 375. All other calibers sold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gunsmith didn't want to open up the factory bottom metal to take 404s. He did say that the 375s could be adapted to 404. But the 375s are too valuable to use up as donor rifles. I had him ship the rifle back and I'll sell the Lothar Walther barrel.

I wonder what it would take to rework the 300s into 375 and 416 Rugers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vol717:
The gunsmith didn't want to open up the factory bottom metal to take 404s. He did say that the 375s could be adapted to 404. But the 375s are too valuable to use up as donor rifles. But he had already mounted the 404 barrel and now I'll have to spring for new bottom metal. I suppose I've reluctantly started another custom gun.

I wonder what it would take to rework the 300s into 375 and 416 Ruger?

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Well, my new 375 worked well on the Dark Continent

Thanks again Allan!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! The only thing that my 458's killed is my wallet. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice pictures.

seems the rifle was made for Africa.

what kind of sling it is?

Frank you are not the only one ...

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gents!

The sling is from Cabelas. I've had it a long time and it's normally on my 280. Sadly they no longer carry it or I would buy several more as they are very good quality and look good. For this weight rifle it was not ideal as it was not wide enough for prolonged carry. We did a lot of Bundu Bashing in search of zebra and wildebeest and it got heavy and started biting in to my shoulder.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
the stock work is cnc cut on these stocks

so-- in the case of the 9.3 ----I just picked up i encountered occasional misfires

we determined that it was due to the bolt not closing fully

once joe opened up the grove for the bolt to close full down problem went away

check your wood make sure the bolt can close [ when you pull the trigger bolt should rise up not jump down] dry firing

if your action is not full closing up its a setup for a light primer strike

just a tip --- just a good thing to check --- before you take it hunting

i like the rifle ---am extremely satisfied with what i got--- will buy more [ every gun needs a little tuning up and shooting in]

this condition is more pronounced -- presents -- when you quick cycle the rifle in rapid fire so that's one way to see if your wood is keeping the action partly open

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
the stock work is cnc cut on these stocks

so-- in the case of the 9.3 ----I just picked up i encountered occasional misfires

we determined that it was due to the bolt not closing fully

once joe opened up the grove for the bolt to close full down problem went away

check your wood make sure the bolt can close [ when you pull the trigger bolt should rise up not jump down] dry firing

if your action is not full closing up its a setup for a light primer strike

just a tip --- just a good thing to check --- before you take it hunting

i like the rifle ---am extremely satisfied with what i got--- will buy more [ every gun needs a little tuning up and shooting in]

this condition is more pronounced -- presents -- when you quick cycle the rifle in rapid fire so that's one way to see if your wood is keeping the action partly open

on my 9.3x62 it was the hornady and remington brass that created the missfires. not the prvi, not norma nor lapua ...

resizing the faulty ones was the end of it ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am down to one .270 on gunbroker. I have a few each in .375, 9.3X62 and 300 Win. remaining. They have sold well and I am especially heartened to see them being used so successfully by my customers.

Contrary to what I said earlier, the gunsmith talked me into going ahead with the rebarrel to 404 Jeffrey. The gunsmith says it feeds really well. The metal work is done and I'll open up the stock as soon as I get it back. Then it will have to have sights added and some shooting done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just put up a left hand Zastava in 458 Win for sale on Gunbroker. It has a set of Talley bases, a Talley aperture sight and a taller front sight to match the rear aperture. . This stock wood is very dense. It weighs 1/2-3/4 lb more than normal. That's a very good thing in a .458. I can't link to it but search for left hand mauser 458 or send me a PM. I was saving it for a hunt this year that didn't happen. It is unfired.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently received the 404 Jeffrey that I had built on a 300 action. It has a Lothar Walther barrel and a Recknagel barrel band front sight base. I wound up having to buy a Sunny HIll drop magazine bottom metal because the gunsmith didn't want to open up the existing bottom metal to feed the 404. The good news is the rifle carries four down plus one in the chamber. The bad news is that the bottom metal cost me over $500 and now the factory stock won't fit unless I don't mind having a 1/4" of bottom metal hanging out below the stock. I've decided to put it up for sale. It is listed on Gunbroker. I can't post a link but it won't be hard to find as there aren't many 404 Jeffries on there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is s 7X57 with really nice wood on Gunbroker. I can't link to it but you can find it. Search for left hand mauser.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
There is s 7X57 with really nice wood on Gunbroker. I can't link to it but you can find it. Search for left hand mauser.

Interesting stock on that one. It came within a few inches of being spectacular.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Why aren't the Zastava's offered on a regular basis in the US?

Is it an importer issue? I have a LH from the KVAR buy and they seem like a decent, no frills rifle to me.

If they were available at a fair price I would own a few more. I could do without the rollover cheekpiece.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
Why aren't the Zastava's offered on a regular basis in the US?

Is it an importer issue? I have a LH from the KVAR buy and they seem like a decent, no frills rifle to me.

If they were available at a fair price I would own a few more. I could do without the rollover cheekpiece.

It's a volume issue. 90% of the shooters use right handed rifles and 90% of the lefties buy the big name brands. There isn't a big enough market for the left handed mausers.

I just cut the rollover cheekpiece off my LH 458 Win Mag because the stock was too high for me to use the open sights. As soon as I get it done, I'll post photos.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That may well be true, and probably is. I will say, though, that if you want a bolt action rifle, a controlled feed Mauser is hard to beat. Both of mine easily do sub MOA and feed and function flawlessly. The wood work on the KVAR rifle was a bit rough, but mechanically they are excellent. I would not trade either of these Zastavas for any other off the shelf, out of the box commercial bolt gun I know of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had bought a 270 instead of the 25-06, but I'm not about to spend $800 to buy another one. At $500 I'm interested but at $800 that's venturing too close to one of the boutique brands.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elkins, If you want to sell the .25-06, or trade for a .LH .270, shoot me a PM. I'm just down the road in Pendleton County...

Posts: 61 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
That may well be true, and probably is. I will say, though, that if you want a bolt action rifle, a controlled feed Mauser is hard to beat. Both of mine easily do sub MOA and feed and function flawlessly. The wood work on the KVAR rifle was a bit rough, but mechanically they are excellent. I would not trade either of these Zastavas for any other off the shelf, out of the box commercial bolt gun I know of.

I have one left handed Zastava and it's taken a lot of work to get it into an acceptable condition to hunt with. My LH Model 70 only needed bedding.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest issue with the Zastavas is the stock. The wood can be very nice but considerably oversized. And the wood is only machine inletted with no custom bedding. I have reshaped two of them and they turned out very well. Both were Acraglas bedded and shot some better for it. But Winchesters can be rough too. In 1996 I bought a stainless left hand Winchester M70 in .30/06. I sent it back to Winchester twice because of rough feeding, a bad barrel and a too-heavy trigger. By the time they were done, they had replaced everything but the action. I even had them replace the sling swivel studs for stainless (probably nickel) studs. It was a very slick feeding .30/06 but it weighed over 9 pounds with scope. These Zastavas can be made to perform well also. I have one that I had rebarreled in 404 Jeffrey that is the smoothest big bore I've ever handled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orion2000:
Elkins, If you want to sell the .25-06, or trade for a .LH .270, shoot me a PM. I'm just down the road in Pendleton County...

You have a LH Mauser 270?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elkins45:
quote:

Sorry. Should have clarified. No LH Mauser .270. "Other pattern" LH .270's... However, for the right price, would be willing to buy or trade for your .25-06. Send it to Douglas. Six weeks later would have a LH Mauser in .270... Wink

I agree with comment about the wood. As a member on another forum said "There's a beautiful stock in there somewhere. You just have to find it."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry. Should have clarified. No LH Mauser .270. "Other pattern" LH .270's... However, for the right price, would be willing to buy or trade for your .25-06. Send it to Douglas. Six weeks later would have a LH Mauser in .270... Wink

I agree with comment about the wood. As a member on another forum said "There's a beautiful stock in there somewhere. You just have to find it."

Richards had a LH Mauser laminated stock in their bargain bin, so I stopped looking.

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Richards had a LH Mauser laminated stock in their bargain bin, so I stopped looking.

Nice stock! I picked up a laminated stock from Boyd's. However, it does not have as much character.