THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Looking to acquire a few left handed rifles

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to acquire a few left handed rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
1.5 years ago I lost my right eye. I'm looking to acquire a few mid to higher end rifles. 22, 17,22-250,300wm and maybe 375h&h. Or some others in between...If anyone wants to make some room in their safes, please pm me. If anyone has some recommendations of models or where to look, I'll take them as well. I've contacted my lgs and he'll give me a heads up if any come in the shop. Thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a blaser professional success and the barrels you want.

2 quality scopes and move them between barrels.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have left hand Dakota 76 in 7mm remington magnum that I’m selling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost my right eye when I was 12 years old. Soon after I switched to left hand shooting and at that age the transition seemed almost natural. When I started acquiring rifles the only option was right hand bolt actions so I developed my early skills with those. Later, left hand bolt actions became more common and over time I sold all RH rifles and built a battery of only left hand rifles. I don't have many in total but they include rifles from Sako, Tikka, and more recently Ruger and Winchester M70. Also have a Blaser R93 with left hand bolts. And one Benelli 12 ga. with true LH semi auto action.
Often enough I see even LH Double rifles offered, particularly in the used market, if that's your thing.
If you are looking to start buying a few I would say there has never been a better time with the selection currently on offer. Of course models and calibres are not as numerous as RH options but I think certainly adequate at least.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got some leads from another site. I like the recommendation for blaser but I've never even handled one. Kind of looking for a nice cz or anschutz type 22 for practice this summer. I have a farm/ranch and many vehicles plus tractors that always have a gun in them for varmints. I have a shooting range right behind my shop so I can easily pop a few rounds off when I get a chance. Kind of how I lost my eye but that's a story for another time. If you want to know I'll elaborate...maybe in a pm or if you ask real nice.
My kids can have my other guns which I still use but I'm basically down to a single shot since it's so foreign to bring a gun up to my left shoulder. Usually involves lots of swearing and shaking. I did cast my benelli 12ga lefty and was getting decent during dove season but got the chiner 1 9er that set me back for 3 weeks. Looking through a scope is very difficult so far. My head doesn't naturally tilt that way yet-maybe residual issues from my accident. Then harvest started so I didn't get much trigger time. Killed a decent deer but I got lucky with that one.

I basically need a 22 and .17hmr for the close up stuff. Then a 223, 22-250 and/or 204(have lots of ammo) for coyotes. I want a forever deer/antelope gun that might double for elk and a big bore for Africa since I doubt anybody will have rentals in lefty. Ive been running a 6.5-284 for the last 10 yrs or so. Maybe something similar and a heavier one? Also, thought about pursuing cans on them since I'm half deaf already. I do not reload at the moment so I want to run factory stuff and no wildcats or hard to find ammo options. I've been shooting since I could walk. Literally hundreds of thousands of rounds at local game and whatnot. I was once a very accurate shooter. Not anymore but hopefully we can change that.

You guys are the experts so point me in the right direction please. I've been coming to this site forever. Finally joined I think in 12. Rarely comment but I feel I know everyone here. I visit daily and comb through a ton of posts that interest me. I even head to the basement in the PF if I want to waste my time and raise my blood pressure. I've learned a ton from you guys so lead me in the right direction. I've got a new lease on life from my accident and I want to make the best out of it. Looking forward to my 3rd trip to Africa soon and hopefully many more after. I'm headed to Kodiak this August for fishing. Time to get living life since I almost lost mine.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a natural left hander who has used nothing but right handed rifles for 6 decades of hunting, I'm not sure I see any need for changing to left handed firearms.
In your case Ipankratz you actually have to make the transition over to using your left eye i.e. shooting as a left hander. The fact is you can successfully do this with either a right or left handed rifle or shotgun, it is more the change from right hand to left hand/left eye that is the hurdle for you to overcome. The change to left handed bolt rifles is not going to help that.

I have done quite a lot of smithing and gun repair in my day and currently have three sons and a grandson also hunting often with me or me with them. We can interchange rifles or over the years smithing and reloading for others I could shoot any rifle that came to hand. To be honest I have never come across or handled a left handed rifle in all my years of hunting or gun repair.

I have hunted and shot buffalo with my right handed Mauser, sometimes multiple animals, and have never felt handicapped in any way having to operate a right handed rifle. Likewise with shooting multiple (mobs) deer, chamois, tahr and goats, I have shot as quick and as accurate as any right handed shooter.

Actually if you watch much video of right handed hunters in action, even on dangerous game, they invariably take the rifle down off their shoulder to reload, as a left hander usually has to so doesn't seem to have been any advantage for them to have right handed rifles in so far as speed of operating the bolt.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lpankratz:
I got some leads from another site. I like the recommendation for blaser but I've never even handled one. Kind of looking for a nice cz or anschutz type 22 for practice this summer. I have a farm/ranch and many vehicles plus tractors that always have a gun in them for varmints. I have a shooting range right behind my shop so I can easily pop a few rounds off when I get a chance. Kind of how I lost my eye but that's a story for another time. If you want to know I'll elaborate...maybe in a pm or if you ask real nice.
My kids can have my other guns which I still use but I'm basically down to a single shot since it's so foreign to bring a gun up to my left shoulder. Usually involves lots of swearing and shaking. I did cast my benelli 12ga lefty and was getting decent during dove season but got the chiner 1 9er that set me back for 3 weeks. Looking through a scope is very difficult so far. My head doesn't naturally tilt that way yet-maybe residual issues from my accident. Then harvest started so I didn't get much trigger time. Killed a decent deer but I got lucky with that one.

I basically need a 22 and .17hmr for the close up stuff. Then a 223, 22-250 and/or 204(have lots of ammo) for coyotes. I want a forever deer/antelope gun that might double for elk and a big bore for Africa since I doubt anybody will have rentals in lefty. Ive been running a 6.5-284 for the last 10 yrs or so. Maybe something similar and a heavier one? Also, thought about pursuing cans on them since I'm half deaf already. I do not reload at the moment so I want to run factory stuff and no wildcats or hard to find ammo options. I've been shooting since I could walk. Literally hundreds of thousands of rounds at local game and whatnot. I was once a very accurate shooter. Not anymore but hopefully we can change that.

You guys are the experts so point me in the right direction please. I've been coming to this site forever. Finally joined I think in 12. Rarely comment but I feel I know everyone here. I visit daily and comb through a ton of posts that interest me. I even head to the basement in the PF if I want to waste my time and raise my blood pressure. I've learned a ton from you guys so lead me in the right direction. I've got a new lease on life from my accident and I want to make the best out of it. Looking forward to my 3rd trip to Africa soon and hopefully many more after. I'm headed to Kodiak this August for fishing. Time to get living life since I almost lost mine.

Look for

Cz452 in 17 hmr and 22 lr
Cz 527 in 223 and 204
30/06/270 ect - you have ruger m77 or Winchester. Everything I have is built on a ruger.
375h&h back to cz 550 - there are also left handed ruger 375

This is what I had built. Customs/partial customs by Wayne at AHR.

There are also Sako 85 to fulfill 270-375 range.

Given cz does not make 452 or 527 or 550 in left handed and ruger and Winchester don’t either - sourcing the basic gun is a lot harder.

I saw the light of no one treating left handed or even Mauser actions with respect and went the blaser route.

Rarely shoot anything other than blasers.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing for sale.
I have a Ruger FTW Hunter in .375 Ruger that I really like.
Winchester M70 in .338.
Winchester M70 action that was a HP match rifle.
Remington 700 in 30-06 that served me well.
TCR with .270 and 12 g. slug barrels. Not LH, but it works.

For LH .22LR I've got a pair of Kimber of Oregon LH. Maybe not the best but oh what a smile when I take them out to shoot!

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle 27 I never did lift my face on follow-ups when I shot righty. I grew up on a 22 browning open sighted lever then moved to a bolt 22-250 for deer. Couldn't have a scope on any rifle until I was 18 my father said. Got damn good at shooting birds out of the air. Had lots of practice on the farm. My next trip to Africa will be for hopefully tuskless and buff. How do you shoot a right handed bolt lefty without taking eyes off target? Please elaborate or send a link. I don't have full range of motion like I use to so reaching around the rifle will be difficult. I could see a lever or auto could be an option but I really like bolt guns. Every auto seems to kick a little harder than I want. I'm all ears so educate me please. I rarely have to shoot more than once at deer when in a blind but we do quite a few drives for them here. Plus,we're doing lots of pushes for varmints in the sloughs and such. Can get wild at times.

Mike, I know your love for blasers and the ribbing you take. Kind of funny. There is a guy on 24hr that has an R8 with seven barrels and R93 with three barrels. Which platform do you like better? Never handled one. I see that could be a great option for me. Wasn't there problems with the R8 exploding? Please sell me on the brand and give me directions on which one you would choose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got in the blaser game late in life after building some left handed guns - cz ruger sako remingtons.

I rarely shoot stuff other than blasers and ar these days but that can and most likely will change. Blasers are far more accurate than other brands but that is irrelevant for hunting apps.

I only have r8 and they are bullet proof - need 200k psi to blow one up. R93 are no longer produced and getting expensive.

I have seen some ar members unbelievable custom Mauser based left handed rifles. Given cz ruger Winchester have stopped making them. Building a quality custom left handed collection is a investment of real time and effort.

A blaser is undoing 2 captive 5mm Allen screws and swapping a barrel and maybe a bolt head.

Also for me all my quality scopes - blaser, swarovski, s&b are on blaser mounts. Adding a new barrel costs just the barrel. I have everything else already.

Blaser makes an awesome 6.5-284 match barrel.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lpankratz:
Eagle 27 How do you shoot a right handed bolt lefty without taking eyes off target? Please elaborate or send a link. I don't have full range of motion like I use to so reaching around the rifle will be difficult.

I'm guessing you are meaning by taking the rifle down off the left shoulder to reload that one will also be looking down to observe the reloading process rather than watching the animal.
It is pure second nature to me to drop the rifle down off my left shoulder, holding the rifle with the right hand while reaching over with the left hand to work the bolt. I do not need to look down at this process, this is when I am watching the animal or animals and selecting my subsequent shots.

This is where my 404 Mauser with controlled round feeding particularly shines. With its positive ejection and captive feeding sequence I can undertake the reloading process when on the move all the while watching what animals are doing. Try doing that on the move when operating a bolt gun still up on the shoulder, doesn't work and that's why you see so many right handers taking their RH guns down from the shoulder to reload.
Unless out in open clear country, most often when engaging multiple animals in a mob or even follow up shots on one animal you need to move immediately to get subsequent shots away so reloading a bolt gun needs to be done without looking down to watch the reloading process.

I have a down load of one of Saeed's videos showing his friend Nelson and PH facing a close in buffalo charge, both right handed shooters and both taking their rifles down to reload for their second shots at the still charging buffalo. The PH even has to pick out his non ejected first shot case, all the while during the reloading sequence, apart from a quick glance down to pull the case clear, he keeps watching the oncoming buff. Nelson does the same and they both fire their second shots within seconds of each other. Very good video if you can locate it or get Saeed to post it again of how to remain cool calm and collected and operate a bolt action under pressure. A lefty with a RH gun would, or could, have done the same.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched a lefty shoot a '03 in NRA HP rapid fire prone. He would fire a round, slightly twist the rifle while reaching over the action to work the bolt, then twist the rifle back to his shooting position. I don't think the rifle left his shoulder. I think he moved his head to clear the bolt. I can't visualize how he did his reload.

He must have spent a LOT of time working on it because he was smooth and fast.

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Probably can help you out with left hand rifles of many different calibers.just message me if interested

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Butch Searcy website. He is selling the left-handed .375 H&H flanged magnum double rifle he made for me.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a 416 Remington mag from the custom shop. I might sell. I had it magnaported. It will shoot an inch group all day long.

Posts: 555 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC:
I watched a lefty shoot a '03 in NRA HP rapid fire prone. He would fire a round, slightly twist the rifle while reaching over the action to work the bolt, then twist the rifle back to his shooting position. I don't think the rifle left his shoulder. I think he moved his head to clear the bolt. I can't visualize how he did his reload.

easier done with open sights than a scope..with a scope it is easier to manipulate the bolt with your right hand.

He must have spent a LOT of time working on it because he was smooth and fast.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 308 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two winchester model 70 post 64 with crf..30-06 and 300 mag..Pm me if interested..Jm

Posts: 461 | Location: Northern Az | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With Quote