THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    lefthand zastava composite stock??

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lefthand zastava composite stock??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does anyone make a stock for the left-handed zastava thats any good? i have a 30-06 i wanna make into a 6.5-06 but would like a comp. stock so save weight

Posts: 104 | Location: spokane washington | Registered: 08 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
McMillan makes one for the Interarms which is the same thing and is available for LH shooters. Also, check Bell and Carlson.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked McMillan about a stock for a left handed Zastavas and was given an emphatic no. I went with MPI.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
funny Mart as their site says yes. Which MPI stock pattern did you use? Can you report on it for us?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
funny too i asked them and they can do it lightweight regular or mangum filling ... the rip off that Canucks got and had to pay for an export permit ended the story.

the design of the stock is based on the heym sr20/mauser 2000.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bluefish,

My McMillan experience was less than favorable. My first inquiry was for a mini Mauser left hand stock. I emailed and was told yes, they could make it. Great. I called to discuss the color and style and was told no they do not make one for the mini Mauser. Okay. Well your guy just told me in an email you could. That person told me they'd get back to me. After two weeks I emailed again. No response. Another two weeks and I sent another email. No response.

I contacted MPI and he said sure. Send it down. I sent my LH mini Mauser 6mmx222, still in the white to him and he stocked it and had it cerrakoted for me. The stock is great and the rifle is accurate. I went with their #1 classic style.

Move forward three years. I wanted to check on stocks for my left handed mini Mauser 17 Remington and for a Zastavas left handed 458 I was looking at very hard. I hadn't bought it but was considering buying it, having it cerrakoted and dropped in a composite for a weatherproof stopping rifle. I thought because I had read so much good about McMillan I'd try them again for both stocks. I emailed them and detailed what I wanted to do and their one line response was, "No, we don't build those stocks." No, thank you for your interest in McMillan or any such platitudes.

MPI treated me really well on my 6mmx222 stock and I am well pleased with it. I will be giving any future composite stock work to MPI. I've read the negative posts about them but my experience was great.

My 17 is still a barreled action waiting to be stocked. I have a very nice semi-inlet blank for it in some nicely figured walnut. I believe I'll just go that way on the 17.

The 458 got sold to someone else while I was waiting to hear back from McMillan. I probably should have bought it but dragged my feet waiting on McMillan.

I'm sure McMillan makes a good stock, they just won't be making any of mine.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple of pics of the 6mmx222 MPI stock. I'm very happy with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey thanks for the info mart, those mpi stocks look good. wha was the wait time and price for the stock work if you don't ming me asking.

Posts: 104 | Location: spokane washington | Registered: 08 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking stock.

I know they have a deservedly bad reputation, but if you are willing to put in a good bit of work the laminated stocks from Richards Microfit can be made to work well. I bought one on a gamble from their closeout bin and after a couple of hours of scraping, sanding and chiseling it fit pretty well. After glass bedding it fits great, and it's a one hole shooter at 100 yards.

It's always an option if you're cheap, or have more time than money.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yzm19:
hey thanks for the info mart, those mpi stocks look good. wha was the wait time and price for the stock work if you don't ming me asking.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I think it was around $850 for the stock. I went the full custom way and had them do all the fitting. I forget what he charged me for the cerrekote but I recall it was reasonable. It took about 6 months. I've been really happy with the stock and the service from them.