New
Find
Notify
Tools

to build a 458 win mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what do you think of reboring a 375 ruger and will you use an alaskan or an african?

thanks a lot.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you want to use it for but assuming that we're talking about N.A. game up there in the great white north.

IIRC, the Alaskan has the shorter barrel.

So probably the Alaskan since you're probably not looking for 500 grain bullets at 2200 fps. It would be handier in the saddle and the woods.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a 375 ruger alaskan that i will keep but i need (want another bigger caliber) and as i really like the open sights i wanted to use the same base.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't rebore a barrel that's already chambered in 375 Ruger to 458 because the chamber is larger than 458WM.

You would need to rebarrel. The easiest would be to have a barrel maker produce a barrel with the same profile as the Ruger barrel so you could reuse the barrel band and sights. Getting them off the original might take some doing.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you factor the cost of a rebarrel in material, labor and whatever unseen costs.
Personally, I would contact a fellow forum member who is offering new Zastava Mausers in .458 w.m. And close the chapter.
Just a thought, if you want a large caliber. There is a CZ LH in 416Rigby available for sale on one of the gun auction sites for around $2,100.

Check with Montana rifle co. to see if they can make it complete.

After going through a lot of firearm over the years and can’t leave well enough alone. I’ve spent a lot in money and aggravation trying to get what I want.
If a factory makes a complete rifle to your satisfaction, buy it. If you have to piece meal it, ship and wait for gunsmithing work to be completed at their time line and not yours. It takes away some of the satisfaction.

I wish you luck and years of enjoyment in wharever you decide.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a left handed Zastava in 458 Win Mag and unless you like the buggy whip like barrel (.660" at the muzzle) you'll wind up re-barreling it any way. I couldn't stand mine that way.

I had John Farner (TooManyTools here on AR) put on a 24" long, .750" muzzle diameter barrel with the barrel band and banded front sight.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
When you factor the cost of a rebarrel in material, labor and whatever unseen costs.
Personally, I would contact a fellow forum member who is offering new Zastava Mausers in .458 w.m. And close the chapter.
Just a thought, if you want a large caliber. There is a CZ LH in 416Rigby available for sale on one of the gun auction sites for around $2,100.

Check with Montana rifle co. to see if they can make it complete.

After going through a lot of firearm over the years and can’t leave well enough alone. I’ve spent a lot in money and aggravation trying to get what I want.
If a factory makes a complete rifle to your satisfaction, buy it. If you have to piece meal it, ship and wait for gunsmithing work to be completed at their time line and not yours. It takes away some of the satisfaction.

I wish you luck and years of enjoyment in wharever you decide.

like Fjold i had a zastava left handed 458 win mag but the cost to get where i wanted to go was more than i was willing to pay for it.

mrc maybe a option too, they are offering a 458 win mag for lefty.

or i may have to go with a 458 ruger or the 404-375 ruger ....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
You can't rebore a barrel that's already chambered in 375 Ruger to 458 because the chamber is larger than 458WM.

You would need to rebarrel. The easiest would be to have a barrel maker produce a barrel with the same profile as the Ruger barrel so you could reuse the barrel band and sights. Getting them off the original might take some doing.

never thought of it so maybe a 458 ruger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
i have a 375 ruger alaskan that i will keep but i need (want another bigger caliber) and as i really like the open sights i wanted to use the same base.

If all you want is a larger bore in the same format then buy a LH 375 Alaskan and a RH 416 Alaskan and swap the barrels over. Sell off the RH 375. Cheap way to get what you want.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had several Left Hand .375 Rugers converted to .416 Ruger by swapping barrels with right hand .416s, then sold the RH .375s. Finish reamers were needed for each caliber. My cost, not including the reamers, was about $400 a gun.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote