THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Left Handed 762x39 Bolt Guns

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Handed 762x39 Bolt Guns
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all!

Was referred here by the folks at the 24Hour Campfire.

I'm looking for a left handed bolt gun in 7.62x39

I know Zastava makes them in the M85 model, but no one seems to have one in stock. I heard (but haven't seen) that the Savage Scout was made in 7.62x39 with a LH available by custom order.

Does anyone else make them?

Also, anyone have luck actually finding someone who has some in stock?

posted Hide Post
We had a group buy here last year, but the importer is no longer interested in such a thing after dealing with Zastava last time.

No one else I know of makes one for sale in the U.S.

Considering its ballistics, why would you want one when you can load a .308 Win. down to 7.63x39 velocities?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Because:

1) I don't handload
2) 7.62x39 is still cheap
3) 7.62x39 is a minimum caliber which can be used to hunt medium sized game

I'm wanting a bush gun I can take backpacking with me and use as a plinker but in a pinch can be used as a hunting rifle.

My main concern is cheap (and plentiful) ammo, hence the 762x39. Bolt gun because I like bolt guns, and where I'm from yuppies are less likely to call the cops on you than if you had an AK or SKS style rifle.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You can call Savage and they have a service where you can special order a rifle with any component parts that they currently have in stock. It cost extra but I don't know how much.

IIRC, Effie is the woman's name who takes the orders. They don't call it a Custom House they call it something like Special Order desk or something.

Check in at Savageshooters.com they can get you all the info on that.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one. The stock was rough and was not happy with the rest. It is now ending up as a 6.5 grendal.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leadslinger585:
Because:

1) I don't handload
2) 7.62x39 is still cheap
3) 7.62x39 is a minimum caliber which can be used to hunt medium sized game

I'm wanting a bush gun I can take backpacking with me and use as a plinker but in a pinch can be used as a hunting rifle.

My main concern is cheap (and plentiful) ammo, hence the 762x39. Bolt gun because I like bolt guns, and where I'm from yuppies are less likely to call the cops on you than if you had an AK or SKS style rifle.

1. Start handloading. Big Grin
2. 7.62x39 "plinking" (123gr. FMJ) rounds are about 32 cents each; .308 "plinking" (147gr. FMJ) rounds are about 52 cents each and you have reloadable brass. Also, hunting ammunition is not all that cheap (~$1 per round (123gr. PSP) vs. .308 (150gr. SP) at .50 per round), and I know of NO lead-free hunting factory loads for it (seeing as you live in Kommmiefornia, you must hunt with lead-free bullets).
3. True, but so are several other medium bores - .243, .25-06, et al.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
George,

How'd you know where I am from? AFAIK I haven't listed where I'm from. Eeker Spooky

As for lead-free 762x39 rounds, there are several. Cor Bon and Double tap both make a brass-cased Barnes TSX round for the 7.62x39. Not inexpensive, but no hunting round is...

Why the dislike for the 762x39? Frankly I think it'd make a great low-cost bush gun.

posted Hide Post
I don't dislike the round per se, but LH rifles so chambered are uncommon, and the 7.62x39 has less velocity, bullet weight and energy than the .300 Savage.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Below is an early shot of my LH 7.62X39 Zastava from the K-Var import. I cut down and reshaped the stock. Since this photo was taken I removed the grip cap and installed a thinner one and also installed a wood butt plate. Currently it has a set of Talley bases and a 2.5X Leupold in Talley quick release rings. I carry it more and more as it is light weigh and quick handling. For deer it is all I need for the close range shooting I do at home.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello all!

Was referred here by the folks at the 24Hour Campfire.

I'm looking for a left handed bolt gun in 7.62x39

I know Zastava makes them in the M85 model, but no one seems to have one in stock. I heard (but haven't seen) that the Savage Scout was made in 7.62x39 with a LH available by custom order.

Does anyone else make them?

Also, anyone have luck actually finding someone who has some in stock?

Sounds like an interesting project. I was tempted to barrel a LH Mini Mauser for one

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
George,

How'd you know where I am from? AFAIK I haven't listed where I'm from. Eeker Spooky

He is a moderator, so I'd presume that he has access to the IP information of where you posted from. Nothing spooky about it. Smiler

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
George,

One of Us
Picture of Virginia Creeper
posted Hide Post
George has a secret source of information and great knowledge.
He can call upon the Most Knowledgeable and All-seeing source of shooting, hunting information, and internet coding. Few have ever seen or accessed this great source of information. It is known only to a limited few.
It is the Great and Almighty Walter!
Sincerely,

E Pluribus Unum - where out of many, we will become one.

Posts: 149 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote